IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC/MSCS “Haubstadt Hustler” Saturday at TSS
9/14/14, 12:57 AM   #31
sprintcarmemes

Gotta give Kyle cummins a shout out. The dude was on a rail all night from the beginning to the end. Just struggled with a few lap cars and it cost him. Not exactly sure why those lap cars stayed on the track but that's racing. Congrats to Daron Clayton on the win. Another awesome night at TSS!!!

9/14/14, 1:23 AM   #32
Re: USAC/MSCS “Haubstadt Hustler” Saturday at TSS
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

:As Darland is the master of Kokomo the same honor is bestowed to Clayton at TSS.Great show guys,Thank You.Honorable mention to Aaron Farney,a hard fought b

2 members like this post: racegal, racenut69
9/14/14, 2:30 AM   #33
Jerry Shaw

Kyle Cummins just took off when they dropped the green and built him a nice lead. But just when it looked like he might not be touched, here comes KT Jr. and he reeled him in surprisingly quick, as Jerry Coons was in a solid third. While this was unfolding, behind them there was a multi-car bar room brawl going on between Chase Stockon, Jon Stanbrough, Brady Short, Robert Ballou and Daron Clayton. Clayton had started 11th and had already jumped three or four spots just to put himself in this free-for-all. After many, many laps of slide jobs and other passes in very tight quarters executed by most in this group, Clayton was the first one to emerge and set sail for the lead pack. When he had fought his way into 4th place, Thomas spun and the restart order was Cummins, Coons and Clayton. Once Daron had wrestled second away from Coons, Robert Ballou had waded his way through the swamp and was making the statement that he would have to be dealt with before this was all over. But he had to win a spirited battle with Short on his way out of that pack. Daron got around Jerry Coons, who was tough as nails in the GBR #2, all night and then made a bee line for the leader. In just a few laps he would seize the lead. Kyle didn't go down without a fight, though. A hell of a fight, as a matter of fact. Clayton then opened up a decent sized lead, as Cummins entered into a battle with the surging Ballou. Robert, with a whole lot of effort, pried second place away from Kyle, but then the yellow came out, so he had to give it back. When the green came back out, those two went back at it, with Ballou eventually earning the spot back, again. Then as Robert started to reign in the leader, he had to fend off additional charges from Kyle. All the different parts of this scrap, collectively were the best of this race, IMO. And that's saying a lot, because this race had some pretty good ones. And Robert got close to Daron several times, but close is all he could muster and Daron closed the show. And of course the crowd was on their feet, because as everyone knows, it's the house of the Modern Day Cowboy. And as part of the post race interview, DC said this $10,000 meant he would be able to get an engine refresh and that meant he would be able to return next year. Which also got a big cheer.

There were a couple of other sub-plots to tonight's action that occurred to me. First off is the current state of the MSCS. Which is very strong, IMO. As their regulars more than held their own with the USAC power teams. In fact, they kind of dominated tonight. The second was that at one lull in the action late in the race, it was obvious that everything was going to come down Daron Clayton, Robert Ballou and Kyle Cummins. Three drivers that have all at one time or another, had to scale back their operations due to lack of money. Maybe an indomitable spirit is just as important as being well funded in this whole deal.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 9/14/14 at 11:51 AM.

9/14/14, 3:01 AM   #34
jaybird

Thanks Jerry for a great call of the race tonight.What a action packed night. Great track as usual and a safe one too. Congrats to Darren for hitting the setup in the feature.can't wait to get back with Kyle for another shot at closing the season out with a hard earned win at TSS.Congratulations to the Helfric family and MSCS /USAC worker's for putting on another classic show. Everyone who loves racing has got to put TSS on their bucket lists.

9/14/14, 3:02 AM   #35
3Cfan

Congrats to Cowboy on the win, we'll deserved. The Madman put on a show. Kyle showed again he can run with the USAC regulars, and I think "Bulldog" Maddox had too much coffee tonight. Great night of racing!!!

6 members like this post: billwill7, jaybird, Jerry Shaw, jim goerge, mc/rider, SisterToThe3c
9/14/14, 6:37 AM   #36
miledirt

Nice run by Brian Karraker finishing 10th

2 members like this post: Flatrightrear, jim goerge
9/14/14, 9:00 AM   #37
cowboyhar69

Haubstadt, Indiana…….Daron Clayton is widely considered to be the master of Tri-State Speedway, and he continued to add to his lore with a dominant victory in Saturday’s 40-lap “Haubstadt Hustler” co-sanctioned by the Midwest Sprint Car Series. The 11th AMSOIL National Sprint Car win of his career was worth $10,000 to the Sikeston, Missouri native.

Local favorite Kyle Cummins got the jump from outside the front-row as Kevin Thomas, Jr. kept pace early and applied pressure after a handful of laps before a red flag on lap seven.

From there, Cummins and Thomas pulled away as the Cullman, Alabama driver, looking to defend his win in last year’s event, moved in on Cummins for the top spot on lap 18. He closed the gap too quickly, though, making contact with Cummins as they entered turn-three and spinning himself around, bringing out the caution.

Clayton, who started 11th, had just moved to the fourth spot before that yellow, and he sat fourth on the restart just before halfway. He disposed of second-running Jerry Coons, Jr. and ran down Cummins, who was about to enter lapped traffic. Cummins narrowly held him off for a few laps before being held up by a slower car in the high line on lap 25, allowing Clayton to cut underneath in turn-four with the lead.

A flurry of late yellows slowed Clayton’s escape from the field, and the July winner at Tri-State, Robert Ballou, was clawing his way up with each restart. He finally restarted in second with just six laps to go, but Clayton couldn’t be touched as he launched off the corner with another popular victory in the Merry Go Round Restaurant – ProGlide Coatings #92 Spike/J&D.

“That was the longest forty laps of my life! It feels awesome to win again here, though. I can’t say enough about the group of people around me, supporting me. This is what we come here to do. I knew we had to be good on a long run tonight and pick off cars when we could. It’s smoking and I’m not sure how much longer it woulda held up, but it was good enough to get it done tonight,” Clayton said.

Ballou came home second in the Blakesley Auto – Hinchman Racing Uniforms #12x Maxim/Ott.

“This is where Daron Clayton is at his best, and we were right there with him. Hats off to him and his guys. I think we may have had a chance at him, but we started to run low on fuel after the last yellow. I hate running second – especially as we’ve been lately. It burns me to run second after you get used to winning,” Ballou said.

Cummins again found himself on the podium after just missing out on his first National win yet again at his home track in the Vincennes University – Greenwell Auto Body #3c Spike/Cummins.

“It was hooked up in the beginning, and I had to mess with lapped cars quite a bit. I started driving harder as I saw some pressure to my inside. I adjusted quite a bit towards the end and felt like I got it better at the end, but I let Robert slip by me for second. I can’t be too upset, but I stand up here behind just one or two guys quite a lot,” Cummins said.

Coons finished a strong fourth in his first night aboard the Gentry Brothers Racing – Automotive Color & Supply #2x DRC/Ott, while Chase Stockon rounded out the top-five in the Superior Tank & Trailer – Crescent Electric Supply #32 DRC/Fisher.

AMSOIL USAC SPRINT CAR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP RACE RESULTS: September 13, 2014 – Haubstadt, Indiana – Tri-State Speedway – “Haubstadt Hustler” (co-sanctioned by Midwest Sprint Car Series)

FIRST HEAT: (10 laps) 1. Kyle Cummins, (#3c Cummins), 2. Brady Short (#11p Pottorff), 3. Brady Bacon (#69 Dynamics), 4. Jeff Bland Jr. (#04 Burton), 5. Tracy Hines (#4 Hines), 6. Hunter Schuerenberg (#20N Schuerenber/Nolen), 7. Brian Wallace (#27 Wallace), 8. Daylan Chambers (#52c Chambers). 2:18.88

SECOND HEAT: (10 laps) 1. Jon Stanbrough (#37RW Dutcher), 2. Kevin Thomas Jr. (#9k KT), 3. Chris Windom (#11 Walker), 4. Aaron Farney (#15 Farney), 5. Nick Hale (#02 Hale), 6. Shane Cockrum (#66 Amati), 7. Brandon Mattox (#28 Mattox), 8. Jared Fox (#56 Fox). NT

THIRD HEAT: (10 laps) 1. Jerry Coons Jr. (#2x Gentry), 2. Daron Clayton (#92 Clayton), 3. Dave Darland (#71p Phillips), 4. Bryan Clauson (#20 Stewart/Curb-Agajanian), 5. Dakota Jackson (#3 Jackson), 6. Brian Karraker (3R Byram), 7. Donnie Brackett (#4B Brackett), 8. Max McGhee (#17 McGhee). 2:20.81

FOURTH HEAT: (10 laps) 1. Chase Stockon (#32 32 TBI), 2. Robert Ballou (#12x Ballou), 3. C.J. Leary (#30 Leary), 4. Carson Short (#21 Short), 5. Mitch Wissmiller, (#1w Wissmiller), 6. Hud Cone (#9T Hurst), 7. James Lyerla (#11x JL), 8. Roger DeWitt (#3d Pauley). 2:21.28

SEMI: (12 laps) 1. C.Short, 2. Farney, 3. Cone, 4. Cockrum, 5. Karraker, 6. Brackett, 7. Bland, 8. Mattox, 9. McGhee, 10. Schuerenberg, 11. Lylerla, 12. Chambers, 13. DeWitt, 14. Jackson, 15. Wallace. NT

FEATURE: (40 laps) 1. Daron Clayton, 2. Robert Ballou, 3. Kyle Cummins, 4. Jerry Coons Jr., 5. Chase Stockon, 6. Jon Stanbrough, 7. Bryan Clauson, 8. Brady Bacon, 9. Tracy Hines, 10. Brian Karraker, 11. Dave Darland, 12. Aaron Farney, 13. C.J. Leary, 14. Brady Short, 15. Kevin Thomas Jr., 16. Shane Cockrum, 17. Chris Windom, 18. Donnie Brackett, 19. Nick Hale, 20. Carson Short, 21. Brandon Mattox, 22. Hud Cone, 23. Mitch Wissmiller, 24. Jeff Bland Jr. NT
--------------------------------
**Mattox flipped on lap 7 of the feature. Hale flipped on lap 31 of the feature.

FEATURE LAP LEADERS: Laps 1-24 Cummins, Laps 25-40 Clayton.

NEW AMSOIL NATIONAL SPRINT POINTS: 1-Bacon-1,554; 2-Darland-1,551, 3-Clauson-1,522, 4-Stanbrough-1,473, 5-Stockon-1,345, 6-Hines-1,231, 7-Justin Grant-1,230, 8-Windom-1,225, 9-Ballou-1,142, 10-Leary-1,080.

NEXT AMSOIL NATIONAL SPRINT RACE: September 18 – Terre Haute (IN) Action Track – “Jim Hurtubise Classic”

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

9/14/14, 10:33 AM   #38
Motormasher

Cowboy could have started last and won this race, he was awesome. Finally glad to see someone other than front row starter win one at TSS.

3 members like this post: mc/rider, racenut69, rdzsprint
9/14/14, 11:47 AM   #39
racenut69

Incredible racing!..410 Sprint cars at full song are one of life's best moments,especially when the Feature field,is all on the button at the same time!....Cowboy Up!...

1 member likes this post: mc/rider
9/14/14, 1:41 PM   #40
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

A very enjoyable, albeit very COOL evening at TSS. Those who left early missed a good modified feature. Good to see the nice turnout of fans. Tom Helfrich appears to have hit the formula for success with his current schedule. Hate to see the season end, but April 2015 will be here before you know it!

4 members like this post: jim goerge, mc/rider, racegal, rclaridge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC/MSCS “Haubstadt Hustler” Saturday at TSS