IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Big money races and low car counts
8/3/14, 10:46 AM   #11
Re: Big money races and low car counts
Jerry Shaw

First of all, Bill I think that's it pretty funny you saying you quit because of people making posts that are personal.

To your point, Chris, I think there are a lot of things that factor into that. A couple of years ago, I was having a conversation with Tom Helfrich and one of the things that was a concern to him was the was some of the technology in the sport today and how a lot of these guys who do this for fun just don't have a chance against some of the top tier of teams. With $5000 on the line, I think quite a few of the guys who could make up the bulk of the field end to going where they think they have a better chance to compete. The same applies with motor differences. Also, this race has always had it's challenges because traditionally, it's run on a very busy weekend. They always have it on the same night as the Bellville Midget Nationals main event. That eliminates the possibility of getting a few more top flite contenders. And this year, it went up against Waynesfield paying $3000 (which is a lot closer for drivers living in the North part of the state), The Burg holding a special race and Putnamville running it's regular show, which usually draws a healthy car count. And gas prices aren't helping matters any.

With equipment and technology differences between the haves and the have nots, the cows are already out of the barn on that issue, so there's no real answer to that. And this time of year the tracks are trying to get the last of their big events in before the season winds down, so the scheduling part will always be a challenge, too. I just hope that the fans continue to come out to support events like this, so they can keep putting them on, because we saw several racers race like they were racing for the last $5000 on earth last night.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 8/3/14 at 2:24 PM.

8/3/14, 10:49 AM   #12
Longtime sprinter

Couldn't get out last night, so getting my fix checking results of the three races I considered going to, being LBurg, TSS, or Waynesfield, and in thinking about the post on car counts, it occurred to me that if you look at the results from all three, each had some pretty heavy hitters, and a pretty strong field that should have produced some pretty good racing. Especially if you factor in Belleville and LPS also. How fortunate we all are, to be able to choose any one of these great venues, on a Sat. Evening.

1 member likes this post: EPSpeed
8/3/14, 11:19 AM   #13
old timer

I agree bring in 6or7 cars and let's race.

8/3/14, 11:25 AM   #14
Longtime sprinter

I think, as fans of the sport, the best thing to do to keep it thriving, is to call a freind, or bring a neighbor to the races with us, to introduce new blood to the sport.

8/3/14, 11:46 AM   #15
J.D.

I was at TSS last nite and what I learned $5000 to win attracts is not necessarily the high dollar teams, because I don't think Clayton, Cummins, Ballou, and a few others are high dollar, but it drawls the bad @$$ boyz that can flat @$$ wheel a sprint car, with unbelievable pride and they weren't going to be caught cherry picking with $5000 on the line. We fans have to support the promoters that put it on the line, because low car count or not, you're about to get your moneys worth. To all the drivers that showed up, thanks for a GREAT show

7 members like this post: bighd0522, DaveP63, hbmundy, jim goerge, Puddin33, racenut69, racephoto1
8/3/14, 11:49 AM   #16
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Lets see, Too many reasons to get em all.

1 is the track itself which will suprise many but its true and many compliment it on its preperation.

OK, So every-time you hit the track its flatfooted 10,000rpm racing. Not just hotlaps and the first few heats. Even the average well prepped track slows throughout the night where max RPM's are not the norm.

2. Location and time zone.
3 85% or more of indianas sprint racing are people with decent motors probably 750-800 horsepower 7-25 grand motors depending on how old, number of rebuilds, how fresh etc. They are solid against the other 85%
Which leads to
4. Big money, Bigger teams, With the 35-55 grand motors 800-920 hp motors that also just happen to have a big torque advantage on heavy tracks. Some of these teams often won't bring the car out for less than 3 grand So if a track puts up $$$ and they're running, smaller teams know where they'll be.

5. Support your local track, Often towing a couple hundred miles NEGATES any gains in the purse and well, Teams know where the better financed teams will be. The goal is winning, your chances are greatly improved running at home or away from where the top teams and drivers will be.

6. High paying shows also tend to draw much better say March-April and Sept-Oct. when fewer tracks are running.

7. Sprintweek has become more of a spectical, A doable racing vacation for teams to see how good they can match up, finish or do against the top teams and a local hot shoe does have a chance.

8. Two races had a racing to honor meaning behind it Hewitt and Soudrette. LPS had Paragon off which helped. Hoosier Sprint Nationals? Sounds like something that should be held Nov 1st Nothing else racing and FOR ALL THE MARBLES

9. Who wasn't there that could have won? Half a dozen, A dozen? Some at Bellville, some at 360 nationals. A handful at LBurg or Waynesfield.

10. Sounds like you still got a heck of a show. Last time I visited they had 15 cars, The time before was 40 cars. I think timing in some cases can be EVERYTHING as far as car counts.

11 Haubstadt looked to have a great crowd seeing vid of the parade lap and 20+ heavy hitters. I call that a Success!

I may be wrong on a couple of these points, Certainly not all.
Edit.
I seen complaints and whining for over a month right up until race time. Why did Burg schedule against Waynesfield, Why did Haubstadt schedule against Burg. Car counts will be thin, Im staying home.

From the person who was home not by choice. I'd of probably picked the local to visit and would have been happy 15 or 50. SITTING HOME SUCKS!
Chuck
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 8/3/14 at 12:14 PM.

3 members like this post: cwfan08, hbmundy, racephoto1
8/3/14, 12:00 PM   #17
Longtime sprinter

Chuck, very interesting and we'll thought out post. Especially point #5, because if gas prices, worry about car count issues at other tracks, whatever has you in a tizzy about which event to attend, you can never go wrong going to your local.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
8/3/14, 12:12 PM   #18
Nate

For me the three major factors are:

1.) Location and funds - I'm going to use Spencer as an example. If you live in Kokomo is it really worth it to haul to TSS for a race? You not only have to pay for your equipment, entry fees, etc but you have to pay for your fuel just to get there and back and that's quite a haul.

2.) Number of tracks running which directly correlates to point 3.) which is quality of competition. If there is a big money show at TSS or the Burg and I'm a low budget team I've probably got a better chance to run well at Putnamville than I do against the Dave Darlands or Bryan Clausons of the world who obviously have better equipment. I'd rather run for a $1200 winners share than a 4000-5000 share that I know I have no chance of winning.

2 members like this post: cwfan08, fish
8/3/14, 12:13 PM   #19
cmiracingvids

Chuck,
As a racer I can tell you the ONLY two things that factor in to where and when I race.

1. DISTANCE. If it costs me over 100 in gas to get to and from a track, I'm not racing. It's a hobby for me, not my life. It already costs enough to do this and I'm not a world of outlaws driver.

2. Weather. This goes hand in hand with the first one. Forecast shows 60% or more...chances are I'm not taking the chance. Again this has to do with cost to get TO and FROM the track. I never blame promoters for canceling based on a forecast. If I ran a track, I'd do the same thing. How many fans end up not going if they think it will rain out? Probably more than you think.

6 members like this post: Charles Nungester, cwfan08, DaveP63, Mud Packer, oldfan49, Phylo82
8/3/14, 1:17 PM   #20
nathan48moore

Chris is a awesome guy, he has been around racing enough to know. I know of a couple cars that are trying to rebuild after Sprintweek. So I can imagine their are several others. Racing is not a cheap sport. As a fan a photographer or racer. Even if it payed 100,000 some simply can't make it. From a fan standpoint Cummins and Clayton are worth the price of admission alone at that joint.

5 members like this post: 3Cfan, BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, flatout18, jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Big money races and low car counts