IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Monroe Co. noise ordinance
7/11/14, 10:20 PM   #1
New Monroe Co. noise ordinance
jd1sprint

Race Count This Year: 6

This is from the H-T in Bloomington today..

Will this be the death of the Speedway?..

Are races subject to the noise ordinance?

Q: I know this is a delicate subject with Bloomington Speedway fans, but will the county noise ordinance have any bearing on how late the races run? Having lived on the south side all of my life, I can tell you that in recent years they have been running past midnight on most Friday nights, and after 1 a.m. on several occasions. Several years ago, they were always done by 11 p.m.

D.B., Bloomington

A: H-T reporter Rachel Bunn addressed this first on Monday, but it’s worth noting again, considering the speedway has scheduled races on two upcoming Friday nights (July 18 and 25).

Essentially, a revision to the noise ordinance was approved by the county commissioners on June 27. Noise is now prohibited between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. that is audible at 50 feet or more from its source — with some exceptions, including emergency and law enforcement situations, airport operations and annual festivals.

A violation of the ordinance can result in a $2,500 fine.

The ordinance mirrors closely the one the city of Bloomington has, although the city’s ordinance focuses more on neighborhood regulation, Bunn wrote, while the county’s ordinance looks more at vehicle and construction noises.

County attorney David Schilling says it’s his understanding that everyone would be subject to the ordinance as soon as it took effect — so existing organizations, such as the Bloomington Speedway, and construction projects, such as I-69, would be subject to the ordinance, regardless of other permits or provisions of the county code that govern those activities.

The speedway’s schedule at www.BloomingtonSpeedway.com tentatively lists “hot laps” at 6:30 p.m. and racing at 7:30 p.m. for each of the next two Fridays, so I’ll be curious to see how late the races will run.

7/11/14, 10:35 PM   #2
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

As I sit here at GC under the red for JBjr, he is out and OK by the way, I for one certainly hope that there is some kind of Grandfather clause in place.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

2 members like this post: babcock14d, jim goerge
7/11/14, 10:51 PM   #3
Panama

The Bloomington Speedway owners are looking into exactly what this does mean for the future going forward.

So far they have been getting conflicting answers from the Monroe County Comissioners. The speedway has been there since 1923 and has always been "grandfathered" or exempted from new regulations and restrictions. The comissioners have already granted some exceptions to the new ordinance, so we will soon see where the speedway stands.

But I have a question, please tell me what date the racing was not completely concluded before midnight?

I have been there every night for the last 2 seasons and the only possible night I remember was POWRi last year, and that was due to rain, and since a reschedule date was impossible, the track made a herculian effort to work the track back into racing condition, and it was one of the best features in the last 2 seasons.

Anyway, not time to push the panic button yet. We will soon know the intent of the comissioners, and the county attorney.

4 members like this post: jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan, racefan20, sceckert
7/11/14, 11:17 PM   #4
Re: New Monroe Co. noise ordinance
Hurryinhoosier

This town will not rest till those in power have it destroyed. They need to call these laws the "We fought I69 and we lost".

~New noise ordinance that prohibits any business that makes a audible sound to be in violation if said sound can be heard from 50 feet away. This however is totally legal if you choose to apply and purchase a permit.
McDonalds drive thru, car wash beepers, Starlite Drive-In, every bar downtown with music...all SHOULD be in trouble if the Speedway is to be found in violation.

~Laws passed about any truck stops that choose to be built in the county must be "green" and abide by code....a.ll in a effort to keep them out as they are "unsightly" and "ghastly places".

~Laws passed to keep adult stores from following the interstate...possibly agree with this one.

~Laws passed to keep chain businesses from building downtown.

Almost every manufacturer in the county has left...and those that are still here are dwindling down to nothing.

They have fought the 69 project from the get go and this is just another screw up on behalf of the elected.

3 members like this post: ajb6, Dirtfan, fish
7/11/14, 11:48 PM   #5
cowboyhar69

Just another example of the know it all politicians thinking they know what is best for everyone else...from Washington D.C. all the way down to local government.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Dirtfan, jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan
7/11/14, 11:51 PM   #6
Bad Dad 54

Check the sound levels at concerts & other events that take place at the grounds & around town. I believe you'll be surprised

1 member likes this post: Dirtfan
7/12/14, 12:18 AM   #7
KKinser99

Just happens that bloomington is full of the same type of politicians that are currently bringing the country down. They keep getting voted in because students are considered residents, therefore vote in local elections.

7/12/14, 7:00 AM   #8
curbservice

This is what happens when liberals are left in charge unchecked. They are not business friendly, especially small business.

4 members like this post: Bayless74, Pat O'Connor Fan, Speedsme61x, TQ29m
7/12/14, 10:52 AM   #9
racephoto1

Bloomington , the town is a major problem. It may be in Indiana, but they aren't Hoosiers. They're the people who know more than anyone else, and know what's best for you. A lot like our president, and we all know how well that's working.

Looks like all the businesses that are affected by this in Monroe county need to band together and work out a solution. It may take a lawyer, but it may take a boycott of one sort or another to solve this problem.

The smart thing to do would be to show the county what the financial impact these businesses have on the county. Then show the county how much money they would loose if none of them were open. Lousy politicians always notice money before they notice anything else.
Last edited by racephoto1; 7/12/14 at 10:55 AM.

3 members like this post: Go Fast, jim goerge, Panama
7/12/14, 12:09 PM   #10
Pwill

I work for a Civil Engineering firm in Carmel, and it is well known up here that you do not accept clients looking to develop in Monroe County. I previously worked for a firm in Bloomington and witnessed first hand how difficult/ borderline illegal their policies are. They truly have affected the local economy for the worse. Developments are presented to the Planning Commission and in return, 90% of the time they are shot down. Therefore no land owners, engineering/architecture firms, construction trades, etc. are making any money. I have witnessed the planning commission single handily drive a man into bankruptcy because of their unwillingness to approve a 4 lot subdivision out by Lake Monroe. Like someone stated earlier in this thread... until there is a law passed that denies Indiana University students the ability to vote local government, things will continue to trend this way. If the County wants the racetrack gone, they will find a way to do it.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Monroe Co. noise ordinance