IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Fitting Crankshaft Thru Motor Plate on Sprint car
7/6/14, 1:42 PM   #1
Fitting Crankshaft Thru Motor Plate on Sprint car
ratracer34

Hey gang need help_____ I bought a vintage Lloyd Shores sprint car I m restoring and cant fit the crank shaft of the stock SBC I m putting it thru the hole in the motor plate. Got the coupler and driveshaft yoke thru ok but rear of crank wont. I m new to sprint cars. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

7/6/14, 2:44 PM   #2
Re: Fitting Crankshaft Thru Motor Plate on Sprint car
stoney

sounds like the crank flange has a counterweight on it.

7/6/14, 2:45 PM   #3
TQ29m

Just a guess but it was probably bored for a 283, so you're going to have to have it centered up and rebored to take the newer crank diameter. Not a big job. Bob

7/6/14, 2:51 PM   #4
jimmoore

back of crank needs shaved down then rebalance crank just 1 suggestion

7/6/14, 5:43 PM   #5
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Just a guess but it was probably bored for a 283, so you're going to have to have it centered up and rebored to take the newer crank diameter. Not a big job. Bob
What Bob says....You should add your location. You might live nearby someone on here that has a Mill and could bore it for you.
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 7/6/14 at 5:45 PM.

7/6/14, 7:01 PM   #6
sprntr

If you are using a stock-type Cast Steel Chevrolet crank you will need to have the crank flange turned down to fit through. We have the same problem with our UMSS Traditional Sprint Car Series engines.

steiny

7/6/14, 7:34 PM   #7
ratracer34

Thanks Guys____Can you cut the motor plate a little bigger to get it to fit thru and will it still fit/turn in the torque ball housing ? Thanks again.

7/6/14, 8:05 PM   #8
Andrew S. Quinn

As I noted earlier,tell us where you live. You can do that by editing your profile here: https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/pro...do=editprofile Or you could always post here where you live. You might live close to someone that posts here that has a Mill or a Lathe that could either bore out a motor plate,or turn the end of the crank flange.

Photos are also good if you could take a few. If you could get a few photos we could help you post them.

7/6/14, 9:35 PM   #9
ratracer34

Muscatine Iowa

7/6/14, 10:41 PM   #10
HurstBros0

Or... You can do as some friends of mine in Lima Ohio did. The boys blew their engine the night before an Outlaw race at Eldora. They had an old station wagon with a 400 in it setting out back of their shop. They put the engine in but it suffered the same fate you are encountering. Running short on time one racer yelled to the other " Go get the wrecker Scritchey ! " They pulled the plugs out of the engine and pushed the old car around the building. The brothers stopped occasionally to put some more tension on the engine plate bolts as the hole opened up. Later that evening the ingenious machinist`s got the car qualified, won a heat race and was running up front in what was then the Fram Dash, before a couple of those stock 5.56 chevy rods decided they had enough and went on vacation out through the oil pan.

2 members like this post: bigq11, OTSNWR
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Fitting Crankshaft Thru Motor Plate on Sprint car