IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > announcers
6/30/14, 3:18 PM   #11
Re: announcers
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I find it annoying when announcers have a contest to see which group of spectators can make the most noise.
Also, asking the spectators to come to their feet at the start of the feature, but failing to tell them to sit down so that every one can enjoy the race is a major pet peeve.

6/30/14, 3:26 PM   #12
cecil98

I would be happy if they could just figure out how to give the lineups BEFORE the cars hit the track: Mudpacker

I agree 100%, Mudpacker! At most tracks, the announcer waits until they start pushing off and then you can't hear the lineup......

6/30/14, 3:33 PM   #13
Flatrightrear

The problem isn't bad at Haubstadt but a reminder for fans to sit once the green flag waves is always good. I think some younger fans would stand if not told to sit by those around them. That's one thing I love about sprint car fans---they always have sat down when the races start. One reason I don't care to go to Charlotte for the World Finals is that there are a lot of NASCAR fans there in for the Cup race and a seat to them is something not to be sat in. I also have no idea why an annoucer screams into the mike when the green flag is out. Speaking when a yellow or red flag comes out is sufficient.

2 members like this post: ISF, jim goerge
6/30/14, 4:25 PM   #14
racenut69

The times we live in now require announcers to plug the Race and/or Track Sponsors,which is good but we only need to hear it once...Talking during Green Flag racing is a waste of their time,we can't hear them anyway..The scorers and announcers are in the same place,no excuses for waiting until the last minute to give the Line-ups..Most tracks PA systems are TOO LOUD,I agree and some are very out-dated,which results in feedback and distortion..Anyone that does sound for Live Music,would know how fix this......Jim Childers and Mike Meuer(The Talker Guy,RIP)are 2 of the best I've heard...Larry Limbaugh at Macon has mellowed somewhat but he used to try to swallow the mic...JMO!

6/30/14, 7:54 PM   #15
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

It's the best job in the business. Next to actually racing of course

6/30/14, 7:59 PM   #16
Hotshoe65s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nunn View Post
It's the best job in the business. Next to actually racing of course
Yeah but announcing is a heck of a lot cheaper haha

1 member likes this post: short track scott
6/30/14, 8:02 PM   #17
racenut69

Yep,they are get paid the same every week..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshoe65s View Post
Yeah but announcing is a heck of a lot cheaper haha

6/30/14, 8:13 PM   #18
Avon Open Wheel fan

[QUOTE=Chris Nunn;381522]It's the best job in the business. Next to actually racing of course[/QUO

This is my first year announcing. I can tell you first hand it is not as easy as it appears. My first time announcing was at Brownstown and I can tell you that Chris does an outstanding job.

Each time out I am learning and every announcer has his or her own way of doing things. What I have been trying to do is pick up some new ideas each night from the track announcer.

I was wondering what the fans thoughts was on rather or not you should announce during the race itself. Most of the announcer booths is set up to where we can not even here ourselves on the speakers. So we can not always tell if the fans can here us or not. I do try to announce the line ups either before the race or when the cars first comes out onto the track. Sometimes things are happening so fast when the cars comes out to the track that it is almost impossible to even get the entire line up announced before the green flag drops.

It is good to have this post because for someone like myself who is learning it helps to know what the fans like or do not like about announcers. I know someone else mentioned sponsors being mentioned. This is really important to make sure they get recognized. I know we all hate commercials but without them we would not have a race to watch.

www.illinimidgets.com

2 members like this post: EBookerFan, fish
6/30/14, 8:27 PM   #19
RRoberts

I always enjoyed the announcer at Gas City years ago.......he would ask if anyone in the stands had a part for a car that was broke down on the track........He'd also introduce Tim Bookmiller as a "Nice Young Man from Kokomo"!!!

1 member likes this post: fish
6/30/14, 8:57 PM   #20
Action Tracker

Bill Donnella was my favorite; Tom Carnegie being in his own category of course..

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > announcers