IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The 500
5/25/14, 3:42 PM   #1
The 500
Jerry Shaw

The last 5 or 6 laps of that race was about as good as you're going to see!! It was like a sprint car shootout. Helio did everything he needed to do to win a race. Hunter-Reay just was not going to lose today. The pass to win was one thing, but the time that he passed Helio before that, when he dove underneath him just took your breath away. I liked Scott Goodyear's reaction, "Wow! That was a daredevil move, right there!"

Jerry

Winston Churchill

5/25/14, 4:10 PM   #2
RetiredShoe

Simply amazing. And an American in victory lane

5/25/14, 4:22 PM   #3
Re: The 500
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Two really good 500's in a row on. Very entertaining race today.

5 members like this post: dirt330, FishBurger, Jerry Shaw, mc/rider, Pat O'Connor Fan
5/25/14, 6:27 PM   #4
kidrock

How bout that Kurt Busch getting a 6th place finish for his first ever race in a Indy car. Better then I expected of him considering how few of laps he has in a Indy car,good job Kurt.

5/25/14, 9:30 PM   #5
throb

todays race was an instant classic! unfortunately they are going to let derrick walker ruin what momentum that they have built in the last 3 years with this ugly, yet racy car, by changing the aero packages.....I hope they leave them alone and let the fans get value out of the money they are spending to attend the race! 2011 was an awesome finish, who could forget Dario and sato, last year with 68 lead changes and the last 7 laps of today have been amazing!

3 members like this post: Crankin, dirt330, fish
5/25/14, 10:10 PM   #6
Tony74

I was really bummed to see Ed tore up, after hanging around the top 5 most of the day I was really hoping he could be there in the late stages. ECR had two strong runs.

2 members like this post: Jonr, mc/rider
5/25/14, 10:45 PM   #7
Stevensville Mike

I liked how Mary Hulman George kept Jim Nabors up on the stage after he sang and they both gave the command to start engines.

5/25/14, 11:12 PM   #8
HARFprez

Race Count This Year: 3

I can imagine how nice it would be to live in Hawaii, but who LOVES Jim Nabors more then Indy? Awesome race today, i'm so glad i was there, huge crowd, IMS has to be happy happy.

2 members like this post: dirt330, opnwhlmnd
5/26/14, 6:46 AM   #9
cecil98

It was a great race ..... I was saddened to see Ed Carpenter and Scott Dixon taken out of the mix. That would've been a fascinating lead group for the last few laps!!
BTW.. regarding the crowd? We had "thousands" of empty good seats in our grandstand, and that is after they tore out the first nine rows of seats before last years race..........

5/26/14, 8:33 AM   #10
Gregg

My wife's brother-in-law talked me into another 500. I wish he didn't. While driving over to his house to meet I hit a yearling deer. My 15 year old relatively low mileage Buick took a nasty hit on the hood and passenger side fender. It still drives good and hope it can be saved. This is the second time I struck a deer in less than three years. I'm ready for a huge expansion of deer hunting season. We are over run with them where I live and it is getting a little dangerous.

Now to the race:

I felt is was a pretty good race from the perspective that 3/4 of the race was run under green. A team couldn't rely on yellows and bunching up in order to advance. You were either going to earn your way to the front like Ryan Hunter-Reay or you were going to fade to the rear like Graham Rahal did.

With these cars there is no way to take the lead and pull away but once in front Hunter-Reay was able to lead in longer intervals than anyone. Based on this I'd say the fastest car/driver won.

Ed was definitely hosed. He had a top 3 car for sure. Bonehead move by Hinchcliff and maybe Bell too.

Kurt Busch fell back from his starting position, back at one point to 21st. But he never struggled, learned a lot about running these cars in competition, and was smooth all day. With a 6th place finish his run was a success story. Maybe he will come back next year and bring his brother and Kyle Larson with him. That would be nice.

My big surprise was Tony Kanaan. He was never near the front and the long pit stop was pretty much the end of his run.

Where I sat the crowd looked down but I didn't get to look at other areas of the track so maybe I'm wrong.

My luck wasn't all bad. We had our annual driver poll, 3 picks for $10. I picked Reay and won $100. Hope the IRS isn't reading this.

4 members like this post: dirt330, fish, FishBurger, mc/rider
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The 500