IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Jim Nabors
3/28/14, 3:41 PM   #21
Re: Jim Nabors
dirtball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
Bet you're tired! Sorry, couldn't resist!
Not really tired, but it gets cold and lonely in the winter time!

1 member likes this post: ronmil
3/29/14, 10:00 AM   #22
rdzsprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprntr View Post
My first memory of Jim Nabors is actually of his "alter ego", Gomer Pyle, on the Andy Griffith Show. Hearing him sing "Back Home Again In Indiana" at my first 500 was both a surprise & a treat. A surprise because I didn't even know he could sing & a treat because his performance was quite moving, even for someone with no emotional ties to Indiana. A couple of years ago they used a canned performance at the 500 since Mr. Nabors was unable to attend. While not quite the same for those who normally could see him sing, the rest of us listening on the P.A. system or on the radio, couldn't hear a difference. I can't imagine anyone else singing THAT song. The Speedway should use that recording starting next year & keep the tradition alive.

I say better to have Gomer in a can than no Gomer at all!

steiny
I read a couple responses on here that people were "surprised" that Jim Nabors could sing so well after seeing him play Gomer on "The Andy Griffith Show". Gomer sang on the Griffith show Season 4 Episode 20 titled "The Song Festers".

3/29/14, 10:09 AM   #23
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdzsprint View Post
I read a couple responses on here that people were "surprised" that Jim Nabors could sing so well after seeing him play Gomer on "The Andy Griffith Show". Gomer sang on the Griffith show Season 4 Episode 20 titled "The Song Festers".
Well Shazam! You've got a lot better memory than I do. That would have been way back in 1964.

steiny

3/31/14, 1:18 PM   #24
cecil98

If you want to know how good Jim Nabors really is, try the link below from his Gomer Pyle USMC show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5KeGccP9Jk
Last edited by cecil98; 3/31/14 at 1:28 PM.

3/31/14, 4:00 PM   #25
DAD

It always amazed me that a guy with a voice like that could talk like Gomer Pyle .

Honest Dad himself

3/31/14, 9:43 PM   #26
Action Tracker

Those precious minutes leading up to the start of the world's greatest sporting event are my favorite. Jim Nabors has been a big part of that for about 40 of my 47 races. Savor the moment.

1 member likes this post: aka Liz
3/31/14, 9:59 PM   #27
DAD

This just don't sound like a bunch of "RED NECK RACERS" talking about a performer??

Honest Dad himself

4/1/14, 7:19 AM   #28
aka Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Halpert View Post
It was announced today that Jim Nabors will sing "Back Home Again in Indiana" for the final time at the 2014 Indianapolis 500. Since I began attending in 1992, Nabors' voice has been one of the greatest moments each and every race day. As with all traditions that are based on human beings, we knew the end had to come sometime...and we will miss him very much. I know of a couple people in Grandstand G who will be blubbering like babies when that time comes Raceday morning...probably a couple hundred thousand more surrounding them. Just wanted to say thank you to a class act, a great friend of the Speedway, and a man's who's voice will always be a part of each and every May. Thanks for the memories Jim...good luck in retirement.
"Just" a couple in Grandstand G? LOL...

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Jim Nabors