IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Death at Bubba Raceway Park
3/26/14, 2:34 AM   #21
Hotshoe65s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
Several will hate me for saying this, but you have to have entry level classes. Heck there are several nights those entry level classes pay the purse for the sprint cars we love. To get people involved there will always be a need for a cheep class. Many of these people will have never done anything more than set in the bleachers at the track. Our sport needs these guys and gals to get involved. These guys will never get involved if there racecar costs $1000 but they have to have $5000 worth of saftey gear. Right wrong or indfifferent it is just not going to happen. 1 thing people on this board forget about, many of this lower class drivers are struggeling just to get to the track. Before you throw them under the bus and complain about this or that, think about my 2nd sentence. The drivers pay the exact same pit price but run for $200 or less at most tracks.
Exactly right sir. I know a guy who bought a hornet for $500. It had a good cage. He put a decent seat in it with good belts. He borrowed a suit, helmet and gloves. He didn't have the money to buy new stuff, but he borrowed the best stuff he could. Some people can't afford to go buy a $600 full containment seat. $1200 custom fitted suit. $200 gloves. $200 shoes. $600 head and neck restraint. And everything else they make now. I agree, and I'm sure he does too, that if a person can afford all the safety stuff then they should get it. But the simple fact is the lower level racers normally struggle to buy enough fuel to get to the track and still have enough for a pit pass.
Last edited by Hotshoe65s; 3/26/14 at 9:33 AM.

2 members like this post: 767, johnnythunderhead
3/26/14, 2:37 AM   #22
Hotshoe65s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
Can we please stop with the "dying doing what she loved". This is one of the dumbest things race fans/drivers say. No one wants to die in a race car. No one wants to die all alone. No now wants to die in front on hundreds/thousands of strangers. No one wants there last thoughts to be pure panic and fear. No one wants to be in pain when they die. No one wants to realize that their life may be ending.

Several years ago a driver was caught in a fire and could not get out. Third degree burns over 95 percent of his body. This is the first time someone pointed out how dumb this saying is. It has stuck with me to this day. No one wants to be in a car on fire knowing that your death is near. Dying in a car is not what anyone loves.
The saying is "died doing what he/she loved". It means they were killed doing something they enjoyed (I.e. Racing). It does not mean the person wanted to die doing it. Or at least that's how I take it.

2 members like this post: racephoto1, Spi-nex
3/26/14, 11:38 AM   #23
Re: Death at Bubba Raceway Park
sc96

It's a hard thing to accept when any young full of life person is killed no matter where or how it happens. It can and does happen every day from walking to school to driving a race car all anyone can do after the fact is pray for all those involved and give the family a lot of support they are going to need it

3 members like this post: Hotshoe65s, Kansasdirtfan, mtek56
3/26/14, 2:09 PM   #24
monkeyboy

It's not hard to accept. Death is a somewhat well known side effect of life. Rather young old fat or slim in a racecar or in bed spoiler alert. you die.

3/26/14, 9:34 PM   #25
Flatrightrear

Maybe for you but I know and heard of people that never get over the death of a loved one. Try your theory out on the families of the people on the missing jetliner for instance. From TV alone I can tell many are not handling this situation calmly especially since there may never be closure. Life goes on but it's never the same and many times not as happy or fulfilling. I sat next to a lady flying home from Florida after Speedweek and she started crying telling me about her husband who had died two years ago. She said she'll always miss him and that the joy had gone out of her life for the most part. Some may say she's not strong but she was in her 70's, felt very alone and had some fear of growing older by herself. You're painting with way too wide a brush, my friend.

1 member likes this post: tim brown
3/26/14, 9:46 PM   #26
sp6967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatrightrear View Post
Maybe for you but I know and heard of people that never get over the death of a loved one. Try your theory out on the families of the people on the missing jetliner for instance. From TV alone I can tell many are not handling this situation calmly especially since there may never be closure. Life goes on but it's never the same and many times not as happy or fulfilling. I sat next to a lady flying home from Florida after Speedweek and she started crying telling me about her husband who had died two years ago. She said she'll always miss him and that the joy had gone out of her life for the most part. Some may say she's not strong but she was in her 70's, felt very alone and had some fear of growing older by herself. You're painting with way too wide a brush, my friend.
only two things fall out of the sky---- birdsh!t and fools.

3/26/14, 10:05 PM   #27
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
It's not hard to accept. Death is a somewhat well known side effect of life. Rather young old fat or slim in a racecar or in bed spoiler alert. you die.
As usual monkeyboy you show no tact whatsoever. I lost a wife WAY before her time, its a hell I wouldnt even wish on you after that comment. Next time you get the urge to say something stupid like that please check yourself.....that is if you have enough brains to figure out that what you are thinking is stupid.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

3/26/14, 10:48 PM   #28
hoscalecody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spi-nex View Post
Driving on the road has absolutely ZERO impact on how you drive the track so that argument is totally invalid.
also look you can have a 13 year old run a mini sprint at waynesfield and a lot of times they will beat the older guys but like you said driving on road has absolutely zero impact on race cars.

3/27/14, 2:03 PM   #29
sc96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatrightrear View Post
The lady you are speaking of is my mom. I could be wrong but when she got home she said something about talking to someone on the plane and from what you said is the exact truth

1 member likes this post: Flatrightrear
3/28/14, 4:36 PM   #30
Midget98

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoscalecody View Post
also look you can have a 13 year old run a mini sprint at waynesfield and a lot of times they will beat the older guys but like you said driving on road has absolutely zero impact on race cars.

It may have nothing to do with ability, but it has a lot to do with maturity, experience, and what we as a society agree is acceptable risk for a particular age. Where does the lowering of age requirements stop entirely. Is a 12 year old too young? 10? 9? 8? If you say yes, then why? We don't send our 13 year old children to fight our wars even though they may be quite good at playing call of duty, but parents of children who are great at Iracing seem to have a terribly difficult time saying you have to wait to race a real car until you are older. It used to be that if you weren't old enough, you were a spectator until you grew up and I never saw a problem with that.

1 member likes this post: captrat
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Death at Bubba Raceway Park