Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gary Bettenhausen
3/18/14, 2:23 PM   #31
Re: Gary Bettenhausen
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
The greatest race I ever saw was Winchester 50 lap feature #2 on October 17, 1971. After the Willie Davis sprinter had mechanical problems Gary jumps in the Ben Leyba car with no practice and starts dead last. in the final corner is the race he was third. By the time the checker flew Gary passed Lee Kunzman and Sammy Sessions for the win. I can remember it like it was last Saturday.

Gary was an amazing racer and a supreme talent that will never pass this way again.

http://www.midwestracingarchives.com...inchester.html
Gregg,

That was my first ever trip to Winchester; my most lasting memory from that day was Larry "Boom Boom" Cannon's horrendous crash. He flipped most of the length of the front straight and wound up in the first turn. I believe he may have even made contact with the flagstand.

2 members like this post: Gregg, tim brown
3/19/14, 1:15 PM   #32
John P Huss

Great memories of Gary in his Champ Dirt Cars. Sure miss the AJ Watson rounded
hoods. RIP Gary. You will be missed.
Best Regards,
John

3/19/14, 1:31 PM   #33
miledirt

Gary B in that #12 Terre Haute National Bank sponsored car was always my favorite as a kid at DuQuoin. The first time I got to see him at Indy brickyard I think there were tears

3/19/14, 1:40 PM   #34
cowboyhar69

Gary Bettenhausen

72, of Monrovia, passed away peacefully at home on March 16, 2014. Born in Chicago, IL, he was the eldest son of Melvin "Tony" Bettenhausen and Valerie Rice Bettenhausen Stephan and her husband Webb Stephan, all of whom preceded him in passing.

He is survived by his wife of 50 years Wavelyn (married January 4, 1964) and three sons Gary (Laura), Cary (Dana), and Todd. He is also survived by younger brother Merle, younger sister Susan, grandchildren Daniel and Matthew and numerous nieces, nephews and cousins. Gary was preceded in passing by his younger brother Tony and Tony's wife Shirley.

Gary competed in 21 Indianapolis 500 Mile Races between 1968 and 1993 and won four United States Auto Club national driving championships during the same time period. He is also a National Sprint Car Hall of Fame, National Midget Auto Racing Hall of Fame, and United States Auto Club Hall of Fame Inductee. An outdoorsman and sportsman, Gary enjoyed retirement by boating and fishing with his family and longtime friends.

Memorial donations to the American Heart Association , Midwest Affiliate, Attn: Memorial/Tribute Processing Center, 3816 Paysphere Circle, Chicago, IL, 60674 in Gary's name are welcomed.

Visitation will be from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday, March 22, 2014 at Jones Crossing, next door to Jones Family Mortu ary , Mooresville. There will be a celebration of life memorial service that will start at 7 p.m. on Saturday, March 22, 2014 at Jones Crossing for family and close friends.

Website and online condolences:

http://www.jonesfamilymortuary.com

Published in the The Indianapolis Star on Mar. 19, 2014
.- See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ind....Xafw80Ew.dpuf

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy
Last edited by cowboyhar69; 3/19/14 at 1:41 PM. Reason: deletion

3/19/14, 1:51 PM   #35
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

One of the last remaining legends of auto racing has passed. You can use all of the fancy words to describe his driving style but to me he just flat out hauled it around the bullrings. Even after his accident at Syracuse, he showed his true talent. The Larry & Gary show entertained so many of us back in the day. I am so glad that I was able to attend his USAC Hall of Fame induction ceremony. RIP Gary B.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

3 members like this post: ASPHALT24, cowboyhar69, racephoto1
3/19/14, 10:30 PM   #36
ASPHALT24

What year did he go out of the park @ Syracuse?

3/19/14, 10:44 PM   #37
trecraft

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 14

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gary Bettenhausen