IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Jill O’Connor and the O'Connor family
2/9/14, 8:57 PM   #1
suskybass

Race Count This Year: 16
Race Count Last Year: 50

I've been a member of this site for a couple of years and honestly never felt the need to post anything until today. A little history about me, I'm 47 years old and have been going to the races since I was 4 or 5. I live in central Pa in the middle of winged sprint car country and regularly attend Silver Springs (before they tore it down), The Grove, Lincoln, and Port Royal. I have Always been a Big fan of Wingless Sprints and Midgets but just don't get that much of a chance to see them locally. For the last several years we have been taking a trip or two a year out to Eldora and Indiana to see the Wingless cars. Last year we bought tickets to the ''Kokomo Smackdown'' and my wife and I were one of the couples that our seats were double sold. Although Not everyone may have got to sit Exactly where they wanted they did their best to fix it! (accidents happen) and we had a Blast! When I called this past week to renew my tickets, they had already been sold to the other gentlemen. Jill told me several different option and that she would call me Sunday evening after the renewal period to give us First choice on available seats. True to her word she called me this evening at 6:30, gave us First choice and Would Not take My payment info! From my previous half dozen trips to Kokomo I Already thought it was a First class facility But tonight I learned that it is Also run by First class people!!! To Jill O'Connor and the O'Connor family Thank You Very Much!!! Sincerely John B
Last edited by suskybass; 2/9/14 at 9:31 PM.

2/9/14, 9:11 PM   #2
Re: Jill O’Connor and the O'Connor family
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

Nice!! They certainly are the greatest!!

2/9/14, 9:22 PM   #3
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

The O'Connor family has injected new life into a rather rundown facility. They put up a large sum of money to make it a great traditional sprint car & midget race track. They are very dedicated people and have treated us with some outstanding racing. I appreciate their hard work and look forward to another great racing season at the Kokomo Speedway. Just another gesture as to how they treat people.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

2/10/14, 1:16 AM   #4
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

All of these comments are absolutely on target. They are great people who put so much effort into giving us the best sprint car racing possible. I'm so glad they are involved in the sport I love.

2/10/14, 7:43 AM   #5
BigD

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 39

They are the Best at Kokomo !!!!!

2/10/14, 10:55 AM   #6
The Old Coyote

The O'Connor family is tops in my book too and my hat is off to them for what they provide.

I gladly make the 224 mile round trip every Sunday to enjoy great sprint car racing on what has to be one of the nicest tracks in this country!

There are people who are not sprint car fans who think I am crazy for driving that distance when I describe the thrill of watching a feature go green to checker in seven or eight minutes! I just smile and say you have to see it to understand it.

2/10/14, 5:26 PM   #7
rightrear

Great people.

2/15/14, 5:36 PM   #8
Jerry Spencer

Sitting in the stands you see all the great stuff the family has done but in the pit's they listen too, if a driver has a concern they not only listen they do what they can to make not only the fans safe they go out of there way to make the sons, daughters, dads and friends behind the wheel safe. I know someone ask about the rescue crew and the fire danger, week later taken care of, cars going out of the park taken care of, they can't stop em from going out but if they do the driver will be taken care of as fast as possible.

Jill is the first person we see when we go thru the gates, tired, hot, storms all around she still has the smile that makes you fell like The Kokomo Speedway is home, it is to us.

The rest of the O'Conner family treats us the same way when we walk thru the gate, No matter if they have been stocking the stands or working the track to make for a perfect race track as anyone that has been there knows very seldom do they miss.

Very few know but they are a huge contributor in and around Kokomo when it comes to helping people that are less fortunate, the speedway gives back year round without hesitation.

On a side note although we all think Jill is hot I meant hot as in 90 degrees and the sun out full throttle. I just know one of you guys is sitting back saying did he just say Jill's hot.

We Have called Kokomo home for a long time, Spencer Racing plans on calling it home for a few more years, myself, Sarah,Paul, Audrey, Hadley, Josh, Shannon and our car owner Sonny Spencer hopes the O'Conner family is there with us, after all they do leave the light on for us.

If you have never seen a race at Kokomo you need to treat yourself to the best in the country, best drivers best track prep, best people at the gates and if you need to get home they have you on the road sometimes before the sun goes down with you talking about the action all the way home.

And no they do not pay me to say this, it's just the way we feel at Spencer Racing.

Jerry #66j
stida.com / HalfMoon Resturant & Brewery
www.joshspencer.com

2/15/14, 9:55 PM   #9
Tim Watson

Good post Jerry. Everything you said is true. I have been making 2 or 3 road trips to Kokomo from Wisconsin for about 7 or 8 years now. I have met the O'Connor family and they really appreciate it when they talk with fans who have made a long trip to visit them and the track. Last year at Smackdown the track prep guys told me to pack my stuff and move to the area and they would put me to work at the track! Gotta love that!

3 members like this post: mowerman, racegal, racing2bwithu2
2/16/14, 12:02 PM   #10
midnightrider

My favorite track to watch a sprint car race at. Great racing, great food, they start on time and run a tight show. If you ever have a problem or question, they are easy to find. I love to see Jim and Jill sitting in the bleachers watching the action.

3 members like this post: mowerman, racegal, racing2bwithu2
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Jill O’Connor and the O'Connor family