IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kyle Larson- MAJ1K Motorsports
4/16/08, 8:01 PM   #1
Kyle Larson- MAJ1K Motorsports
cmp

Kyle Larson Debuts with a Pair of Top Fives as Civil War Fires off-From MAJ1K Motorsports

Placerville, CA April 9 and Petaluma, CA April 12, 2008 – Opening the California Sprint Car Civil War Series for 360 sprint cars at Kyle Larson’s two favorite tracks, Placerville Speedway and Petaluma Speedway, was just what the doctor ordered to start the young driver’s 2008 racing season.

Fifteen year old Larson finished fifth at the high banked foothill facility in a Wednesday night special event and fought hard for a third place score at the fast and tacky coastal track on Saturday night. In the process, Larson now finds himself second in Civil War points, behind the recently unretired two time Civil War champion and Larson’s tutor in his rookie season last year, “Powerfeed” David Robinson, Jr., who earned a second and fourth at the respective tracks.

The Placerville event, rescheduled from a rain out on March 15, attracted 42 cars for the Civil War season opener. Larson qualified the Dave and Debbie Vertullo CRV Racing Products/Eagle/Kistler 13th fast, started third in his heat, and held off defending Civil War champion Andy Forsberg to take the final transfer spot into the A-main. Larson gridded 11th in the 30 lapper and stayed out of trouble in the red flag plagued event that saw eight flip victims. He eventually settled into fifth late in the race won by Kyle Hirst. “I was just glad to survive and miss everything that was happening out there,” said Larson, who won his first Civil War race here last August. “I think I only passed a couple of cars the whole race, but I’ll take a top five any way I can get it on a night like this.”

Forty teams made the trek to Petaluma for round number two and Larson qualified tenth, while good friend from their outlaw karts racing days, Alissa Geving, set fast time to the delight of the hometown crowd. Second fast qualifier Robinson Jr. lined up sixth in the second heat and had the lead coming out of turn two of the opening lap, towing fourth starting Larson along into second. The duo finished there to transfer into the feature race.

Larson drew his first ever A-main front row starting assignment, lining up outside of 2005 Golden State Challenge series 410 champion Sean Becker. Larson got the jump as the green flag unfurled but caught the tricky rut in turn one. While fighting to maintain control of his bouncing car Becker grabbed the top spot. On lap six Larson hit the same rut again, with third running Willie Croft getting by. Eighth starting Robinson stole fifth from Forsberg on a lap 11 restart and quickly began to pressure last year’s pupil. Finally, on a lap 16 restart, Robinson executed the pass in turn two, dropping Larson to fourth. After Robinson pulled away slightly, Larson began to mount a charge of his own. As the last half of the race went non stop, and the leaders began to negotiate heavy lapped traffic, Larson and Robinson waged the most torrid battle on the track. After Larson had nearly passed Robinson on the low side over several laps, he finally made an outside pass in turn four stick on lap 27. Larson pull away over the final laps and got his second career Civil War podium finish, as Becker led the distance, with Croft settling for second.

“I love racing here,” said the high school sophomore. “For the size, this place is usually so fast. You need to make quick decisions in lapped traffic and that suits my style. I think that was the most fun race I’ve ever run. Powerfeed and I were going at it lap after lap. He said to not get used to beating him, but I’ll have to think about that one. Being second in points to him is really an honor. I just hope to keep the good runs going when we run our next Civil War race May 3rd at Placerville.”
Larson’s racing efforts are sponsored by CRV Racing Products, Starr Real Estate and Property Management, Global ParkerStore, Safety Solutions – LFT Technologies, D & J Towing, RPM Indoor Kart Racing and Conference Center, A.R.T Speed Equipment, Wion’s Body Shop and Powdercoating, JW Web Design, Mophead Graphix, SWEPCO Lubricants, and Sierra Tire and Wheel.

Check out www.kylelarsonracing.com for video clips, current news and information.

Race Date: April 9 & 12, 2008

Its a Treat to Watch This Young Man Race.
Bruce

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kyle Larson- MAJ1K Motorsports