IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Silver Crown Owners
9/11/13, 4:01 PM   #91
Re: Silver Crown Owners
miledirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
USAC is hurting in all 3 divisions. I think the biggest reason is the total lack of TV coverage. Back in the day, there wasn't a million channels and USAC had the best short track TV deal in the country. A lot of drivers/owners wanted to be in USAC because of that. They need a Forrest Lucas type to put them back on the air!
Yep, sure would like to see them get on MAV

9/11/13, 4:06 PM   #92
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by miledirt View Post
Yep, sure would like to see them get on MAV
Wish Velocity, or another cable channel would carry some short track racing. MAV is not available on cable.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
9/11/13, 4:46 PM   #93
OTSNWR
Inactive Member

My name is Ken Bayliss and I'm the owner of the Ontario Topless Sprints. I'm also so far the only Canadian dealer/distributor for TJ Racing Oils from IN. It's my dream to someday have my own Champ Car team so I strongly desire to see this sport survive. If the Silver Crown team owners would like to get together for an owner's meeting in one of the conference rooms at the PRI show in Dec., TJ Racing Oils owner will order a room booked to hold a meeting in at the show. This is free. I'm sure Skype and conference calling abilities can be had for owners unable to make the show the day the meeting is on. If there's enough interest by owners getting together to brainstorm ideas to present to USAC for positive future changes down the road please let me know. Conference/meeting rooms are booked through PRI management on a first come first served basis so the sooner a room could be booked the better. The show is 3 months from now which should give everyone enough time to consider some positive ideas to build the meetings itinerary on. At the end of the meeting it's possible a list of requests and demands be given to USAC from the owners collectively for the purpose of the improvement of the sport for all concerned. If you'd like to contact me about this possibility please email me at Ken@ontariotoplesssprints.com, PM me or please feel free to call me at 289-282-1007. I'm not an owner yet but have started to compile parts for my engine. I'm not interested in stepping on toes, displacing anyone or upsetting anyone, I merely want to see the sport saved and grow. Thank you, I'm at your service SC.

9/11/13, 4:51 PM   #94
Vukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
USAC is hurting in all 3 divisions. I think the biggest reason is the total lack of TV coverage. Back in the day, there wasn't a million channels and USAC had the best short track TV deal in the country. A lot of drivers/owners wanted to be in USAC because of that. They need a Forrest Lucas type to put them back on the air!
How many World of Outlaw sprint car races are on TV these days? ASCS? IRA? All Stars? Short track dirt racing any division?

Must be USAC's fault.

Maybe short track dirt racing doesn't get the ratings or the sponsorship to be on TV these days. The days of the ESPN TV Thunder shows are over, now is now. If they had ratings they would be on TV.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish, Jonr, Kellen Conover
9/11/13, 4:57 PM   #95
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Could post #93 be the start of an overhaul for the Silver Crown series? I guess only time will tell but for the owners of the cars that are parked, this is at least an attempt to start the discussion needed to put cars back on the track. If they decide not to, I don't know what else they could be waiting for.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

1 member likes this post: dirt330
9/11/13, 5:22 PM   #96
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Well...between powerI midgets ascs sprints and local Indiana sprints they've been on TV on a weekly basis this year. But no USAC. Explain that. USAC hired this marketing expert to run things yet weekly races from putnamville are on national TV but not a single USAC race? It's not the only reason for the decline. Escalating costs play a big role also. I also know for a fact that many fans prefer the classic body styles of the past and really liked it back in the 90's when a bunch of teams ran them. It was those god aweful pavement cars that started all this so that proves looks do matter. I've been on both sides of the fence and believe me most owners could care less what fans think. As far as getting owners back...I'm all for the idea of USAC contacting them and trying to schmooze them back, but not just the rich ones, the fillers should have just as much say or more. They should discuss any major series rule changes BEFORE imposing them.

2 members like this post: John P Huss, Red Hat
9/11/13, 6:14 PM   #97
ThePurple73

The reason silver crown cars would work on TV is they don't spin out every other lap like some shows have in the past.

Think back to when you did see USAC sprints and some Silver Crown cars on TV(ESPN), what made it happen?

9/11/13, 6:22 PM   #98
miledirt

MAV is on DirectTV and I think Charter, not on Uverse though

9/11/13, 6:44 PM   #99
mr nobody
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurple73 View Post
The reason silver crown cars would work on TV is they don't spin out every other lap like some shows have in the past.

Think back to when you did see USAC sprints and some Silver Crown cars on TV(ESPN), what made it happen?
There weren't 250+ channels out there to divert people's ever changing 2 second attention span. ESPN (then ESPN2) was looking for programming to fill it's lineup. Now they have more then they can choose from so now ESPN (and all ESPN channels) want to be paid for broadcasting programs of any kind. If the Crown cars are to be on TV, then a major sponsor MUST step up and pay for that TV time. Also, when these races were on TV back in the 90's there were a few races in California that were on dirt (Ventura Speedway) and then the rest were mostly on pavement at Salem, Winchester and IRP. Heck, even the Speedrome was on there as well. I do remember a few shows from Eldora and Terre Haute as well. Without the pavement being part of midgets and sprints, TV might be impossible.

9/11/13, 6:44 PM   #100
Vukie

I don't have MAV TV on my comcast.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Silver Crown Owners