IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Birdcage Timing- (upright mini)
8/28/13, 11:23 PM   #11
Re: Birdcage Timing- (upright mini)
Mulvaney

so tell us dad what is this top secret idea of yours lol. because u are right. I don't know about every one else, but I read it in a book and did it but have really no clue as to y

8/29/13, 9:17 AM   #12
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvaney View Post
so tell us dad what is this top secret idea of yours lol. because u are right. I don't know about every one else, but I read it in a book and did it but have really no clue as to y
It sure ain't my Idea !! The more you know the better off you will be and the faster you will run.

What was you doing in your high school Geometry class anyhow?

Had you been a racer in school and you wanted to go faster, all them lines and angles the teacher was putting on that chalk board would have made a lot more sense to you, and you would have wanted to learn more about that stuff. It is a shame that most teachers can't relate their knowledge of their subject matter in a way that a kid could say "Hey I can use that stuff Racing! or roofing or whatever!"

Go out there and do some Google searches don't believe everything you read but when you see a pattern starting take note. Then it will be your secret. Or better yet share it with everybody and help the sport develop.

These "SECRETS" and they are not secrets is why them guys with experience get accused of running cheater motors.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 8/29/13 at 9:25 AM.

8/29/13, 12:51 PM   #13
Mulvaney

I knew I should have slept during a different class. Lol I agree dad the races are won at the shop more than in the pocket book but the pocket book never hurts. And now i know y u are always on here spreading your words of wisdom of the mini world.

1 member likes this post: DAD
8/29/13, 1:20 PM   #14
DAD

Good Better Best never let it rest until your Good is Better and your Better is BEST.

Did you learn anything?

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: red70racer
8/29/13, 4:14 PM   #15
TQ29m

FYI, I just ckd mine, it's been a while, but I had 2.5* neg on the left side, and 2.0* neg on the right side, and remember, I have a torque tube to keep happy also, but that's where mine is happy, and we have good fwd bite, that's on all four, with a hundred pounds of chicken feathers in the seat! Bob

8/29/13, 5:16 PM   #16
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
FYI, I just ckd mine, it's been a while, but I had 2.5* neg on the left side, and 2.0* neg on the right side, and remember, I have a torque tube to keep happy also, but that's where mine is happy, and we have good fwd bite, that's on all four, with a hundred pounds of chicken feathers in the seat! Bob
We always measure degrees in "short hairs", much more accurate, and we are very accurate racers.

You are right too Bob about them pesky drive shafts they can sure make for an ill tempered race cars when they start binding up. That darned old chain on the other hand just eats up a $75.00 dollar sprocket.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 8/29/13 at 5:21 PM.

8/30/13, 1:41 PM   #17
TQ29m

If you will go to google, or Bing, and type in "timing sprint car birdcages", you will find some pretty good reading, triple X, has a good read on squaring, and timing, as well as front end squaring, the diminsions will most likely not be of any value, but the process is a pretty understandable read, it isn't rocket science, as some would believe, not does it give you any options of things you might try, but it at least gets the chassis in a setup, that will get you on track, there are things that may not be explained, such as rear torsion bar arm lengths from side to side, as they do swing in different arcs, which explains the difference in my angles in my setup, if I left them the same, then because of the difference in the arc, it would cause the torque ball to be in a bind, which is never a good thing, or, your chain for that matter. You may have to get a large sheet of paper, and draw it out, to help you understand all the different arcs, and pivot points you are dealing with, that makes it "not so simple", but necessary. Good luck! Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 8/30/13 at 1:43 PM. Reason: X

8/30/13, 6:14 PM   #18
DAD

All you need is an 8 x10 piece of paper. That is all the travel we use. Pattern is Very different between 4 bar type and z bar and wish bone. For you puter people they have a real good program out there. I wouldn't be suprised if there wasn't even an smart phone app by now.

I kinda of figured Mulvaney would be on here telling us all about it by now, he has had plenty of time to research.

Wonder why everybody went to the Z link stuff any how, you can do the same thing with a 4 link.

Probably something about selling new cars?

I heard through the grapevine that "Beast" was working on a carbon fiber semi elliptical rear suspension.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 8/30/13 at 6:18 PM.

8/31/13, 12:18 AM   #19
Mulvaney

No dad I give the research up! I just go run my car every fri and have fun. If I hear someone on here looking for info on something I have already receive from you friendly folks or have seen in my steve smith set up for minis book then I just try to give a little advice. it may be helpful it may not but at least it is input they can choose to try if they would like or send it to the trash bin.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Birdcage Timing- (upright mini)