IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Here we go with all the "Sprint cars needs more safety""
8/6/13, 3:48 PM   #11
Re: Here we go with all the "Sprint cars needs more safety""
RxIxCxH

Race Count This Year: 25
Race Count Last Year: Lots

This story is pretty thin on material. I am not a big safety guy but I do think it's time to stop using tractor tires. I was at the track last night and the size and placement of tires in the infield needs to change.

1 member likes this post: koolaid89
8/6/13, 4:09 PM   #12
JDFAST

Didn't read the article and will not comment on it. But what is wrong with asking how to make racing (sprint cars) safer. It has to be affordable, but why not discuss how to make things safers. It's not going to bring back drivers and may not even have prevented those deaths, but improving safety might prevent a serious injury or even a future death.

Racing sprint cars is dangerous. Have seen so many friends from karts and 1/4 midgets have serious head injuries and even a few deaths (Kara & Stanley) Also been at the track when Vuky lost his life at Mesa Marin.

Should we just accept the fact these cars are dangerous, or try to make them safter. I'm sure these were the same arguments with wearing helmets, seat belts and even putting in roll cages. Maybe sprint cars are as safe as they can be, maybe not. What harm is in discussing how to make them safer. Pretty sure no matter what (unless they turn them into late models by covering the wheels) they will always be harry with some wild wrecks. But if you can improve the drive line technology, or prevents things entering the cockpit, wouldn't that be better? I sick of reading about serious sprint car injuries lately. Sorry if this offends some, but telling a loved one their son/daughter was killed or hurt sucks more.
Last edited by JDFAST; 8/6/13 at 4:13 PM.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, i love dirt track racing, team3521
8/6/13, 4:38 PM   #13
team3521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gardner View Post
Did you actually read the article or just the headline?
Yes Bill, I did read it believe it or not. How many sprint car tracks do you think could afford to put up safer barriers? And like someone said, it wouldn't make a difference with sprints, midgets, or silver crown cars.

"Tracks themselves largely lack the SAFER barriers. Roll cages and seats can be improved. The HANS device or other head-and-neck Track themselves largely lack the SAFER barriers. Roll cages and seats can be improved. The HANS device or other head-and-neck support systems should be mandated if they aren’t already. support systems should be mandated if they aren’t already."

Do you think roll cages could be safer? The only really bad accident that I remember where the roll cage failed was Shame Hmiel's crown car and I don't think you could build one that would have protected him in that accident.
Do I think seats are an issue? Yes! I do! I feel full containment should be mandatory and I think neck restraints should be too. Most of the open wheel guys I know have a HANS device or something similar.
Are we ever going to make it perfectly safe?! No! I don't think so. People are always going to be in danger of being hurt or killed in this sport. It's the nature of the beast.
Do I still think this article was stupid, yes, I do.

Posted via Mobile Device

8/6/13, 5:03 PM   #14
DaveP63

Unhook the effing things and slow them down. It's getting ridiculous how you can just pedal the damn things all the way around the track all night.

8/6/13, 7:14 PM   #15
STIDA.com

Race Count This Year: 9

Gary Taylor walked away unharmed from this crash. How? The angles in which you hit are so crucial in this sport. If Tony would not have pitched it sideways at the last second he would have Tboned Higday. I believe Tony sacrificed his well being in this crash so he didnt drive through the cockpit of another driver. JMO.

Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images
20130703_202545.jpg (600.2 KB, 175 views)

8/6/13, 8:45 PM   #16
stroud21

It may be on here already, but what actually broke his leg. Was it the driveline etc.that got loose and hit it in the wreck?

Posted via Mobile Device

8/6/13, 8:49 PM   #17
johnnythunderhead
Banned

upsidedownbrown!

Posted via Mobile Device

8/6/13, 9:10 PM   #18
johnnythunderhead
Banned

many tracks could sure use some improvement when it comes to safety, but lets face it, most of those track owners don't have the $$$ to do it; but maybe they could do a little bit year by year? knock on wood, I think that Lawrenceburg is an excellent example of a safe sprint car track (spacious high banked turns, good catch fences and plenty of room to race) I also feel that 3/8ths are the safest sprint car track in general, because of the room to race issue, what with the speeds they produce and the quickness of the cars. the 1/4 miles are entertaining alright, but the tightness creates more contacts and bumping and banging. kokomo is a good example of a safer 1/4 mile with the wide spacious turns. I've seen cars go right through so called catch fences at some local tracks, and that is unacceptably dangerous; good catch fences with proper height and heavy cable backup support is a must, in protecting both the drivers, pit personal and spectators, and should be the # 1 priority when improving a track imo!.

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by johnnythunderhead; 8/7/13 at 7:50 AM.

8/8/13, 1:21 PM   #19
Bad Dad 54

I've walked through the pits on numerous occasions & I cringe at what some drivers have for safety equipment, tried to help a fellow out w/ a helmet selection, he walked away said good enough. Drivers should also eat right, exercise & be in good physical shape, I don't mean round either, my driver runs & does weights. A bicycle for errands or walk if not to far, my daughter rides her bike to work sometimes gets there early enough to spruce up. Not saying be a health nut, me I'm just a fat ol man but I'm not in a race car - push truck maybe. As far as Tony goes there are a lot of parts to beat your limbs against in a violent flip a 10 to 15 lb arm can have the force I believe of 1200 to 1500 pounds counting the g'force & the range of travel. And if you're wearing nothing but a t-shirt under your fire suit YOU'RE AN IDIOT. The suit stops the flames but not the heat & a wet t'shirt will get you burnt, I've seen a burnt person it's a horrible sight. Wearing jewelry take it off, heated metal stays hot for a while, dentures or partial remove them. Contacts - no they can roll behind your eye I'm told & in heat the plastic melts to your eye causing loss of sight. Go to the store get a pair off the rack see if they help, don't take chances w/ your eyesight. Seen this one - your belts go through the holes in the seat, not over the top, over the top can let you get beat to death between the belts & the seat. If it doesn't line up properly, fix it or get another seat, broken hip is painful. Burn scars are not as flexible as your skin, they crack & bleed easily. You can lose you job due to injuries like this, don't be dumb loss of income leads to loss of home food & such. Think you're good enough? Think again

1 member likes this post: team3521
8/8/13, 6:19 PM   #20
baldtireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnythunderhead View Post
anytime they can make sprint cars safer, i'm all for it as long as it doesn't make the costs prohibitive/ but there's only s much they can do/ the main thing seems to revolve around the belts, seats and head/neck restraints, and I doubt if any of those items had anything to do with tony's injury. as it is sprint car racing is much, much safer than it was in open cockpit days of yore when the sport was so brutal that I pretty much chose not to go. and thankfully it becomes safer each year, we do seem to learn from bad nasty's. I only attended a few open cockpit races and thankfully all went off o k.

Posted via Mobile Device
Don't know,but I suspect the type of hit resulted in injury because of the driveline pivoting on the safety hoop....

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Here we go with all the "Sprint cars needs more safety""