IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Could ISW happen without USAC?
7/16/13, 3:22 PM   #61
Re: Could ISW happen without USAC?
Indy1808

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 35

Agreed Charles!

Unsubscribing from this one.
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing

1 member likes this post: fish
7/16/13, 4:37 PM   #62
nathan48moore

I will say I have my own ideas on lineups. I knew prior to coming usac's format and rules, yet chose to come knowing where I stood. I get 3 hot laps then straight to qualifying for 2 laps, all trying to learn a track and a car. We have never even seen any of these tracks and never raced a car with a 410 or without a wing really. I knew if I made it into the top 32 I would be lucky. Almost made it Friday. The crowd is why I came. If you want to be the best you have to beat the best. Well Indy has the best. And I have to say Indy is speeding me up a million times. You can't mess around here. The atmosphere is amazing and people are great. Usac runs a great show. Be thankful for what y'all do have because its not like this where I am from. Indiana is awesome. Nathan Moore.

Posted via Mobile Device

7/16/13, 4:59 PM   #63
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Its been great having you Nathan!

Its the same showing up at a WoO show or ASCS never competing against them before. Without a lot of laps and top $$ equiptment. You have to be a darn good driver to overcome what they have.. In fact in some ways I feel it would be easier to make a WoO show as the wings reduce passing in the heats if they stay green and you start out front.

You want laps?
Saturday, Paragon, Everyone runs a heat, Everyone runs a feature. The payoff isn't great but you can get laps Most of Indiana's greats have turned many a night either there in a sprint car or in another division of these same tracks before they ever got to the top level

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish, jim goerge, nathan48moore, OTSNWR
7/16/13, 7:06 PM   #64
ThePurple73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamrockRacin'48G View Post
ok hang on.....like I posted originally, Im not trying to really ruffle any feathers, I have no axe to grind....I think this week is the greatest week of the year, just like you do, and yes it is wildly successful..aside from
TQ29m, I think you all may be missing the point....What is it that USAC brings to the show? (so far, I have heard organization/scheduling and some kinda sponsorship)....I just wanna know what does USAC bring to the party?

Posted via Mobile Device
Not trying to be rude.....but if you have to ask...chances are you will not understand.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Pat O'Connor Fan
7/16/13, 7:39 PM   #65
ShamrockRacin'48G

Well purple I do understand and thats pretty weak of you to imply that I don't....the whole point of my post was that maybe ISW doesn't need USAC to sanction at a time when car counts and dirt tracks are on a real rebound in Indiana, and I thank the Good Lord for that...look at all the other threads on here, improvements could be made...sometimes I think USAC suffers from being a bit complacent, and little too comfortable being the big dog. The real point here, and it is my opinion so you cant take it away, is that this week belongs to the racers, car owners, fans and track owners, not to the almighty United States Auto Club. When this week is over, racing in Indiana will continue, it won't shrivel up and die because USAC went home. What would be wrong with a response from USAC stating something like: 1.) We bring 100 years of experience and organization to the table. 2.) We bring the credibility to lure drivers from other parts of the country. 3.) We provide tracks and participants unequalled insurance coverage 4.) We provide benefits for retired racers...See an answer like that would at least lend some credibility to them, but you will never hear these things, just as you will never know many other USAC secrets. I think the people with real skin in the game may (or may not) agree with me, but kinda like NASCAR, its not good business badmouthing your sanctioning body. But for people like me, I have the right to point out that ISW is successful as hell and it may be "in spite of" or "in addition to" and not "because of" USAC.....now can we get back to racin?

1 member likes this post: Kansasdirtfan
7/16/13, 7:48 PM   #66
JordanBlanton

You think USAC brass needs to respond to a question of their credibility on an Internet message board to lend credibility to themselves?

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish, jim goerge, opnwhlmnd
7/16/13, 10:25 PM   #67
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by racen857 View Post
PA. speedweek pays no less than $5000. to win every race plus 1 $7000.00 and 1 $10,000.00 to win. Thats what brings all the cars. Lots of cars= lots of fans. And thats why it is very successful platform with out a sanctioning body. Also all tracks involved work with each other for the week so no one runs against each other during the week.

http://paspeedweeks.com/ tracks and payouts.

Not sure what Indiana sprint week pays but I'm pretty sure that none of the races pays that much to win. And they are running the same cars minus 2 wings!

On the other hand I was out in Indiana for the first 3 races of ISW and only because of USAC's Eastern storm coming to PA the last 2 years. And I know of a few guys from section A at "The Burg" that now want to come to PA for the Eastern storm. So USAC brings cars and people to ISW. And in the future will bring fans and cars to PA.
Thanks for the reply, '857. I still would like to know who goes out and gets the sponsors, how much money the sponsors kick in, do the sponsors hang on for every race of the week, and is the pot divvied up equally at the end of the week. They are paying out GOOD money for PA Speed Week and said money has to come from somewhere other than the gate at the tracks.

Sounds like the PA promoters/owners have a good system going however it shakes out in the end.

7/16/13, 11:25 PM   #68
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamrockRacin'48G View Post
Well purple I do understand and thats pretty weak of you to imply that I don't....the whole point of my post was that maybe ISW doesn't need USAC to sanction at a time when car counts and dirt tracks are on a real rebound in Indiana, and I thank the Good Lord for that...look at all the other threads on here, improvements could be made...sometimes I think USAC suffers from being a bit complacent, and little too comfortable being the big dog. The real point here, and it is my opinion so you cant take it away, is that this week belongs to the racers, car owners, fans and track owners, not to the almighty United States Auto Club. When this week is over, racing in Indiana will continue, it won't shrivel up and die because USAC went home. What would be wrong with a response from USAC stating something like: 1.) We bring 100 years of experience and organization to the table. 2.) We bring the credibility to lure drivers from other parts of the country. 3.) We provide tracks and participants unequalled insurance coverage 4.) We provide benefits for retired racers...See an answer like that would at least lend some credibility to them, but you will never hear these things, just as you will never know many other USAC secrets. I think the people with real skin in the game may (or may not) agree with me, but kinda like NASCAR, its not good business badmouthing your sanctioning body. But for people like me, I have the right to point out that ISW is successful as hell and it may be "in spite of" or "in addition to" and not "because of" USAC.....now can we get back to racin?
This response to your own post seems to support by implication that in fact you do mean to ruffle feathers and have an axe to grind. What USAC brings to non-wing racing is the same thing WoO brings to winged racing. i.e. name recognition and branding. In all business, branding is important because it strikes a chord of recognition with people. there are always exceptions where regional races run quite successfully, but in the case of ISW the USAC branding brings much broader recognition.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish, JordanBlanton
7/17/13, 7:04 AM   #69
racen857

Race Count Last Year: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
Thanks for the reply, '857. I still would like to know who goes out and gets the sponsors, how much money the sponsors kick in, do the sponsors hang on for every race of the week, and is the pot divvied up equally at the end of the week. They are paying out GOOD money for PA Speed Week and said money has to come from somewhere other than the gate at the tracks.

Sounds like the PA promoters/owners have a good system going however it shakes out in the end.
To my knowledge each track gets it's own sponsors. I'm sure there are sponsors that do the whole week at every track, but mostly it is a track by track basis.

The front gate probley pays most of it anyway. USAC total payout is around $23,000.00 even if you have a $25,000 payout thats only 1000 fans through the front gate at $25 each, plus pits at $30 for another 500 people. $15,000 more in pocket for support class plus food stand $$$. It's not a hard thing to pull off. You just have to get people in the seats and the $$$ takes care of it's self.

7/17/13, 7:13 AM   #70
racen857

Race Count Last Year: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by racen857 View Post
On the other hand I was out in Indiana for the first 3 races of ISW and only because of USAC's Eastern storm coming to PA the last 2 years. And I know of a few guys from section A at "The Burg" that now want to come to PA for the Eastern storm. So USAC brings cars and people to ISW. And in the future will bring fans and cars to PA.
This answers the original question.

1 member likes this post: dirt330
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Could ISW happen without USAC?