IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why are we having problems getting new fans?
6/30/13, 11:40 PM   #21
Re: Why are we having problems getting new fans?
rmcar

One problem I see is enclosed trailers. You see them going down the highway and don't know that there is a race car of some type inside. Maybe tracks should give a break on pit passes for open trailers. It's free advertisement for promoters .

7/1/13, 9:21 AM   #22
racen857

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAW View Post
Start with not charging 10 -12 years old adult prices? Give kids a break, students half price till they get out of school... 13 and under free..Some place to start???

Posted via Mobile Device
I will credit to my local track Port Royal, PA

Student age is up to 18 and I belive kids under 10 are free.

Sat June 29 Camera & Autograph Night – Twin 15s for late models, 305 sprints, pro stocks, enduro dash, Kids Racecar Rides 7 pm A $15, S $5, P $25

Sat July 6 23rd annual Pa Sprint Speedweek, late models, enduro dash (TT) 7:30 pm A $22, S $5, P $30

Sat July 13 Kids Night - 410 sprints, Late Model Championship, pro stocks 7:30 pm A $15, S $5, P $30

1 member likes this post: PAW
7/1/13, 9:22 AM   #23
racen857

Race Count Last Year: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcar View Post
One problem I see is enclosed trailers. You see them going down the highway and don't know that there is a race car of some type inside. Maybe tracks should give a break on pit passes for open trailers. It's free advertisement for promoters .
Yes any kid I know including myself likes to see race cars going down the highway.

3 members like this post: HurstBros0, OTSNWR, unclebuck
7/1/13, 10:28 AM   #24
Seadog

I took my Dad to the Burg for IMW race. I'm in my 60's and he is in his 80's. I said to him look at the people in the stands. At least 2/3 - 3/4 of the spectators had gray/white hair if they had any hair at all. When they are gone, who will fill the stands? Not many kids there.

There are no speedways in urban areas for young people to take a bus or train to it. That's why motocross and monster trucks are doing well. They have races at huge sports stadiums in major metro areas. And youth are hooked on video games, smart phones, and Japanese pocket rockets. There are indeed too many choices for the entertainment dollar and sprint racing doesn't really figure into it much any more.

So how do we change that?

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
7/1/13, 10:46 AM   #25
homer

I remember when the local TV station would give the race results of the weekend races from local tracks just like base ball and other sports

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
7/1/13, 10:48 AM   #26
homer

many times they would even have film!!!

7/1/13, 11:28 AM   #27
cecil98

the car culture is ending because there are so many brands available and they are so generic and, incredibly expensive. It's very difficult to distinguish between all of these Korean and Japanese brands. Plus, who can get excited about 4 or, 6 cylinder front wheel drive????? There is just little connection between the street and the race track anymore nor, is there any passionate brand loyalty. Another thing that is disappearing is fathers making race fans out of their children. That's where my generation of race fans came from. We're growing old and the next generation isn't bringing the kids to the track as the generations before did. It's just too hard to tear them away from those video games, I guess.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, The Old Coyote
7/1/13, 11:44 AM   #28
Charles Nungester

Race Count Last Year: 14

I see tons of kids at Race tracks, Putnamville and Bloomington. Burg for Fan Apreciation and such. where under 12 are free. Even hear the it's too expensive to bring the kids so we don't come much argument. I say "But you'll spend 20 on em at a 2hr movie"?

Hunters team put a car on the hill at Bloomington, There were kids climbing in and out all night playing race car driver.

More interaction, More repeat and life long customers. Sometimes I think it would be worth the sacrifice of a addmission price for kids to come back ten times a year because they've begun to know who the racers are. Buy a funnel cake every visit and in a couple years are paying full price themselves.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, The Old Coyote
7/1/13, 12:06 PM   #29
ROSS

Race Count Last Year: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil98 View Post
the car culture is ending because there are so many brands available and they are so generic and, incredibly expensive. It's very difficult to distinguish between all of these Korean and Japanese brands. Plus, who can get excited about 4 or, 6 cylinder front wheel drive????? There is just little connection between the street and the race track anymore nor, is there any passionate brand loyalty. Another thing that is disappearing is fathers making race fans out of their children. That's where my generation of race fans came from. We're growing old and the next generation isn't bringing the kids to the track as the generations before did. It's just too hard to tear them away from those video games, I guess.
I happen to take my son to the races at least 10 times a year. On top of that we race quarter midgets. I hate to break the bad news to all of you but the excitement that once was sprint car racing to us isn't the same to this group. If I gave my son the choice to go watch Monster Trucks, Supercross, or Sprint cars he would choose sprint cars last. These kids want the wow factor and what used to be the wow factor for us doesn't even come close for them. These kids want to see back flips and some big air with speed mixed in. My son can tell you every drivers name in Usac and 90% of the local show guys. So he's even what I would consider a diehard youngster and drives his own racecars. Still it's not what he chooses over the other "extreme" sports. It bothers me that the hair doesn't stand up on his arms like it does for me when I see one of my hero's banging the cushion 6" from the wall. But I'm telling you these kids are watching people do extraordinary things that we didn't have. I'm to young to remember the Evil Kneivel stuff but i'm betting a lot of you would have chose to go see it if he jumped every weekend. Wish I had a way to fix it but I truly believe that's what it is.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, team3521
7/1/13, 1:08 PM   #30
nowingsjeff

Race Count This Year: 5

Did they factor in the cost of gas in their study?

My friend Sam, my wife & I used to drive Sam's motorhome to Indiana 4 to 5 times a summer during the 90's and early 2000's. (and we always brought newbies along to witness the greatest racing on the planet) Then the gas cost went up to the point it's not affordable for us to make the trip to Indiana but once, maybe twice a year; and we don't take the motorhome anymore.
Last edited by nowingsjeff; 7/1/13 at 1:10 PM.

5 members like this post: Charles Nungester, dirt330, jim goerge, mowerman, racer-x
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why are we having problems getting new fans?