IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What track did you grow up going to?
6/25/13, 8:33 PM   #71
Re: What track did you grow up going to?
slick01

Race Count This Year: 31
Race Count Last Year: 48

Columbia Speedway in Cayce, SC in the 1960's. It was dirt then and we watched all the NASCAR greats of the time race there. Ralph Earnhardt, Tiny Lund, Lee Roy Yarbrough were among the ones that ran weekly and the Grand National (now Cup) tour showed up 3 times during the year. It would be a quite a few more years before I was able to get off to sprint car country.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, nathans1012, racerjim2
6/25/13, 8:39 PM   #72
SPD 37

Whitewater Valley Speedway, Liberty, In, Florence, Ky, and Eldora, mainly late models back in the day, until sprint races at WWVS and then CRA there. First USAC wing race at Florence Ky I think.

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by SPD 37; 6/25/13 at 8:46 PM.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, nathans1012
6/25/13, 8:55 PM   #73
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

First of all, what a great thread. Learned a lot about a number of different tracks.

My first trip was to Belle Clair Speedway in Belleville, IL. I was about 3 years old and my dad & mom took me there. A great little bullring that still puts on a great show (especially midgets) today.

They ran on Friday nights and as SW911 posted they pitted the cars on the infield. The Allied Auto Racing Association (AARA) raced Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights at three different speedways. Anybody care to guess where the Saturday & Sunday night shows were?

The hot shoes back then included Dandy Don Klein, Kenny Schrumm, Carl Springer, Mike Hammerlee, Ed Dixon, Charging Charlie Johnson and others that escape the memory bank. Wib Spaulding made an occasional appearance and made his presence felt.

Don Klein just about owned Belle Clair. He won so many track championships, they shoud have named it after him. He was still running up until either last year or the year before and was still competitive.

I always loved the standing starts. My mom also told me NOT to look at them welding right in front of us in the pits. She said I would go blind. No wonder my eye sight isn't the best.

Later on the opened Highland Speedway in Highland, IL. That became my Saturday night track and I starting working as an official there prior to moving to Indiana. I came east in the early 70's and starting hitting the local Sun Valley Speedway. I still wish they would have kept that name.

First asphalt track that I had seen and in 1974 witnessed my first Little 500. WOW!!!!!!! Missed only one since and I still look forward to the last week in May every year. No other short track race quite like it.

For the boys who were discussing the late model drivers at Anderson you were correct on the rivalry between Vic Hellis & Bob Fields. Later Bobby Fields, Bob's son raced Vic just as hard. We sat up between turns 3 & 4 and the fans supporting both of those drivers also sat up there. Many an interesting night I might add with the fans sometimes providing as much action as the drivers down on the track.

Interesting side note to this is when the track came up for sale when Joe Helpling passed away 7 area men stepped up to the plate and purchased the speedway. I believe that is when the name changed as well but I might be wrong on that.

Rex Robbins the President of the American Speed Association was the lead guy of the group. Who were the others you ask? Two of the group were............... John Hellis (Vic's dad) & Bob Fields. The others were Bob Byrne, local sports writer; Charlie Masters, former sprint car driver; Leo Parrish and one other whose name escapes me.

Amazing how one trip to the speedway can provide a lifetime of memories and entertainment even today.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, davidm, Indy1808, jim goerge, nathans1012, ROSS
6/25/13, 9:11 PM   #74
etpro43

Grew up going to Oswego Speedway weekly from CT, the 5+ hour drive each way didn't seem too bad while heading to and from the Steel Palace!

3 members like this post: Bostonian, BrentTFunk, nathans1012
6/25/13, 9:14 PM   #75
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
First of all, what a great thread. Learned a lot about a number of different tracks.

My first trip was to Belle Clair Speedway in Belleville, IL. I was about 3 years old and my dad & mom took me there. A great little bullring that still puts on a great show (especially midgets) today.

They ran on Friday nights and as SW911 posted they pitted the cars on the infield. The Allied Auto Racing Association (AARA) raced Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights at three different speedways. Anybody care to guess where the Saturday & Sunday night shows were?

The hot shoes back then included Dandy Don Klein, Kenny Schrumm, Carl Springer, Mike Hammerlee, Ed Dixon, Charging Charlie Johnson and others that escape the memory bank. Wib Spaulding made an occasional appearance and made his presence felt.

Don Klein just about owned Belle Clair. He won so many track championships, they shoud have named it after him. He was still running up until either last year or the year before and was still competitive.

I always loved the standing starts. My mom also told me NOT to look at them welding right in front of us in the pits. She said I would go blind. No wonder my eye sight isn't the best.

Later on the opened Highland Speedway in Highland, IL. That became my Saturday night track and I starting working as an official there prior to moving to Indiana. I came east in the early 70's and starting hitting the local Sun Valley Speedway. I still wish they would have kept that name.

First asphalt track that I had seen and in 1974 witnessed my first Little 500. WOW!!!!!!! Missed only one since and I still look forward to the last week in May every year. No other short track race quite like it.

For the boys who were discussing the late model drivers at Anderson you were correct on the rivalry between Vic Hellis & Bob Fields. Later Bobby Fields, Bob's son raced Vic just as hard. We sat up between turns 3 & 4 and the fans supporting both of those drivers also sat up there. Many an interesting night I might add with the fans sometimes providing as much action as the drivers down on the track.

Interesting side note to this is when the track came up for sale when Joe Helpling passed away 7 area men stepped up to the plate and purchased the speedway. I believe that is when the name changed as well but I might be wrong on that.

Rex Robbins the President of the American Speed Association was the lead guy of the group. Who were the others you ask? Two of the group were............... John Hellis (Vic's dad) & Bob Fields. The others were Bob Byrne, local sports writer; Charlie Masters, former sprint car driver; Leo Parrish and one other whose name escapes me.

Amazing how one trip to the speedway can provide a lifetime of memories and entertainment even today.
Yeah a lot of the fun back then was sitting at the top of the tall stand in 4. You could either watch the race in front of you or the fights in the pits behind you.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Mud Packer, nathans1012
6/25/13, 9:17 PM   #76
Lincoln Chapple

I have to admit that I grew up at Sun Valley also. I have fond memories of the same LM drivers. My biggest memory is laying in the back seat of the family LTD, half asleep heading toward Fortville, and counting the yellow/orangish lights that were lighting up Hwy 67 in front of the Reformatory. I knew I was half way home then.

Yes son, I watched fenders (or whatever you call them).
Just accept that fact. Lol.

Oh, by the way, Bob Fields won many races with his left arm resting on the top of his door, driving with the other.
Last edited by Lincoln Chapple; 6/25/13 at 9:20 PM.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Mud Packer, nathans1012
6/25/13, 9:22 PM   #77
The Fanthom

Race Count This Year: 1

Born in 76, first race was Lawrenceburg at 6 months, (I'm told), earliest memories are at Bloomington on Fridays, Paragon, Putnamville, or Brownstown on Saturdays and every Sunday at Haubstadt. Been to over 50 tracks by my count at this point.

Posted via Mobile Device

6/25/13, 9:25 PM   #78
The Fanthom

Race Count This Year: 1

Great Photo Jerry Shaw, I too have a particular fondness for Paragon, though I can never quite put my finger on why. It is the quintessential Hoosier dirt track for me.

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by The Fanthom; 6/25/13 at 9:26 PM.

6/25/13, 9:37 PM   #79
kart31rac

Jacksonville Il, Pittsfield Il, and Little Springfield, I grew up at these three tracks hardley ever missing a night. Someone said something about Ralph Vortmans sharp little supper modified. If I remember right his tail section came off of one of our old combines. Jerry Blundy and Wldman Kelly were my to guys. The Battles that Dean Shirley and Ronnie Milton put on at Springfield every sunday were Classic. Brings back some great times with my Dad.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, illinifan, nathans1012
6/25/13, 9:43 PM   #80
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fanthom View Post
Great Photo Jerry Shaw, I too have a particular fondness for Paragon, though I can never quite put my finger on why. It is the quintessential Hoosier dirt track for me.

Posted via Mobile Device
The Paragon photo came from the Facebook page dedicated to Edd Sheppard's induction into the Hall of Fame, this year. There are hundreds of great pics from the Sheppard family, Larry Miller's family and many other sources there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1146...ocation=stream

Winston Churchill

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What track did you grow up going to?