IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indiana Midget Week
5/23/13, 12:12 PM   #11
Re: Indiana Midget Week
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Always difficult to rate dirt tracks. They can change during the racing evening much less from one time to the next. All 5 tracks that run midget week shows work very hard to prep the track and put on the best possible show for the fans. Weather also plays a big part as well. Don't skip a show because of anything I say. Midget week is a great time to enjoy Indiana dirt track racing at it's finest.

You asked for a 1-5 rating for the tracks so here goes. This is just my opinion from attending races at all of the tracks over the course of 40 years of being in Indiana.

1)Kokomo-A track that has undergone a total renovation under the O'Conner family ownership. Provides the best weekly racing in Indiana. Reece O'Connor has a gift for prepping a dirt track and he can bring back a surface at intermission as well as anyone out there. Very organized and they run a quick program that gets you out and on the way home at a decent hour. No coolers permitted but the track concessions are fairly priced and offer enough of a variety.

2)Lawrenceburg-This is a tough call for 2nd & 3rd place but I will give the nod to da Burg. Dave Rudicell has done a great job of promoting this track and they also will re-work the surface if necessary. A wide high banked facility that has given us many nights of exciting racing. The grandstands, concession stands, restrooms, etc....are second to none. Customer friendly and coolers are permitted in the grandstands.

3)Lincoln Park-As I mentioned a difficult call for 2nd & 3rd place. Joe Spiker has brought this track back from the dead. He has made necessary improvements each year and it continues to be a work in progress. The only thing I don't like is if the racing surface goes away, they don't do a re-work. They offer good racing and I enjoy being able to take a lawn chair & cooler in and sit on the hillside.

4)Gas City-The Jack Hemlick owned track offers good racing for both sprints & midgets. They regularly re-work the track and it has been needed at times during the past few years. I don't know why but something about track prep has changed. (Note: I am not a track prep expert like so many on the board so I won't show my ignorance and spew what needs to be done from behind my keyboard.) No coolers permitted but again track concessions priced right with a good variety for most. Biggest issue for me is that the bleachers are the most uncomfortable around. Might consider buying a pit pass and sitting in the pits.

5)Bloomington-The most picturesque setting of any track in Indiana. They offer hillside seating for your lawn chair and you can carry in a cooler as well. The reason I rate them at #5 is that I don't get to attend many shows here due to it being a Friday night track. My schedule just doesn't work for getting there very often. During the past 7 or 8 shows that I have been in attendance, the track hasn't held up very well and they don't do a re-do. In fairness to the new group of promoters, I haven't been to Bloomington yet this year so that might have changed I don't know.

I hope this somehow answers your question. According to all 5 tracks webistes they will be running just 2 support classes during midget week, one of which is traditional sprints. Just a thought, but after attending all 5 tracks, give us your 1-5 rating and see how it compares. Most of all enjoy your racing trip to Indiana.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

2 members like this post: mowerman, Ty
5/23/13, 12:51 PM   #12
Ty

Mike,

Send me a private message from now until the 13th with your number in it. We'll have to meet up at one of the speedways out there.

Good thing the Eastern Swing is a week before Midget week.. two weeks full of non-winged Sprint Car & Midget racing for me.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Mud Packer
5/23/13, 6:55 PM   #13
fourteen fan

Thanks Mud Packer-Driving 400 miles round trip and no vacation to use, we are limited, so either Gas City or Kokomo.

To bad they could not run back to back nights.

5/23/13, 7:21 PM   #14
cmiracingvids

Sadly I have not yet been to Kokomo or Haubstadt yet. I would say, based on review after review of Kokomo, that it is the best racing in Indiana. EVERYONE raves about that track! Haubstadt is another great track, and from videos I've seen it's a very unique track that provides really exciting elbows up racing. I like Bloomington for its "old school" feel. Sit on the hillside, enjoy great concessions...and it's just such a pretty track. If it's huggy pole, the racing can get a little dull.
Lawrenceburg is a class act, and easily has the newest, cleanest facility in Indiana. I've seen fantastic racing every single time I've gone to the burg. Love it.
Never been to Gas City either. Ive heard some good things and some bad things.
I would say, don't miss Kokomo. It's a toss up as for Burg or Haunstadt. I would lean towards Burg just because it's Midget Week there.
Enjoy yourself wherever you go! And welcome to the best state in the nation for dirt track racin!! (I just made that up)

Posted via Mobile Device

5/23/13, 10:55 PM   #15
Flatrightrear

I think Ty has his schedule set and is a very wise man to want to see Haubstadt. See a track where Steve and Sammy started learning their trade and where all the greats have raced since 1957. Plus, you get to see the infamous "John Deere Tractor Show" at intermission and judge for yourself if it is a waste of time or not. Call me at 812-867-6902 if you want advice on where to eat before the race, although the food is also good at the track. But great southern Indiana fried chicken with all the fixin's is a short 3 miles from the track at the Log Inn, Indiana's oldest restaurant. Mmmmm, now I'm hungry and I just ate!

2 members like this post: jim goerge, Ty
5/24/13, 1:38 PM   #16
TY, good week to go there...
jerseysprintnut

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 17

I just went to Indiana last weekend and enjoyed the racing like always. Even the races at Winchester were good. I made the quick ride(?) over to Kokomo and caught a nice show there.

As far as fans go, I sat next to good people every night I was there. Indiana fans are good people. Thanks

Can't wait til my next Indiana trip....

Later, JERSEY

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indiana Midget Week