IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Honda USAC Midget Car Series in 2014?
5/23/13, 10:38 PM   #21
Re: Honda USAC Midget Car Series in 2014?
Davis33

Sneek Peak at the 2013 Honda Triple X D33 midget coming out of the Quick Racing Products shop in the near future. Look for talented drivers such as Brett Anderson,Chase Stockon,Chase Briscoe,Hunter Schuerenberg,Bubba Altig to name a few that will pilot this car on the dirt bullrings of the POWRi Series. Jim Stewart of Stewart Engines in Indy has been behind the development of this package. Jim has already had success with Todd Bertrand winning in the NEMA series with this package this year. Look for Todd to be at IRP Saturday. We've been working with Jim the past couple years putting together a nice clean new cost effective package to bring to the midget racing community.
Attached Images
PB170233.JPG (11.7 KB, 193 views)
PB170234.JPG (265.2 KB, 168 views)
P5070279.jpg (594.5 KB, 161 views)
Last edited by Davis33; 5/25/13 at 8:36 PM.

1 member likes this post: K-Dawg30
5/23/13, 10:54 PM   #22
racephoto1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis33 View Post
Sneek Peak at the 2013 Honda Triple X D33 midget coming out of the Quick Racing Products shop in the near future. Look for talented drivers such as Brett Anderson,Chase Stockon,Chase Briscoe,Hunter Schuerenberg to name a few that will pilot this car on the dirt bullrings of the POWRi Series. Jim Stewart of Stewart Engines in Indy has been behind the development of this package. Jim has already had success with Todd Bertrand winning in the NEMA series with this package this year. Look for Todd to be at IRP Saturday. We've been working with Jim the past couple years putting together a nice clean new cost effective package to bring to the midget racing community.
If I was Honda, and was backing midget racing, I'd be doing POWERi, where the racing is.

2 members like this post: jojowar, TWO FIVE
5/24/13, 12:03 AM   #23
KMS2683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Monahan View Post
Does this mean that current owners have to junk their engines and buy a new Honda?
That would be a yes for the Ignite midgets. The ignite series is already on life support so now they are introducing a new "spec" engine program. That will really help car counts. A few years ago they wanted to return to combo cars only but dropped that as too many people would have pavement cars that were rendered useless. But apparantly having to buy a completely new engine program will be fine.

As far as the national midgets another engine supplier in the mix is not a bad thing.

5/24/13, 12:46 AM   #24
jojowar

Last edited by jojowar; 5/24/13 at 5:44 AM.

5/24/13, 7:17 AM   #25
hoosierhillbilly

I thought i read that before ford got in with the focus that honda was orginally approached to be the spec midget series engine.

As mentioned, i would like to see a spec engine seies based on production engines. There are all of these spec series out there with ecotech, speedstr, etc, it would be awesome if there was a standard.

Posted via Mobile Device

5/24/13, 7:27 AM   #26
jojowar

Thank you Mr. Davis!! His comments above are by far some of the most factual statements on this post. I myself have known and worked with Jim Stewart of Stewart Engines for nearly a decade. I consider Jim a mentor and great friend having worked for Jim for many years. Jim himself has nearly 25 years of professional engine development and construction. Jim is not a proponent of self promotion that's why I have taken upon myself to write this post. Stewart Engines has worked on the development of this engine, the Honda "K" Series Engine
for many years now. And is by far not only the most knowledgeable engine builder in the country on this engine but arguably the planet. Stewart Engines has multiple wins in the NEMA National Midget Series in addition to wins this past winter overseas in New Zealand. This weekend Stewart Engines will once again power the #39 USAC National Midget in the "Night Before The 500" for the second year in a row. Not only is this engine capable of putting your midget into "Victory Lane". The best part about this engine combination is the fact that you can purchase this engine at a fraction of the cost compared to the competition. We at Stewart Engines are very excited to have the opportunity to compete with the Honda "K" series engine this year in the POWERI SERIES with our customer Jeff Davis. POWERI A National Dirt Midget Series that has been very receptive to the idea of an affordable, competitive midget engine. Kind of a no brainer from the sanctioning bodies perspective. More affordable engines, more competitors, better racing, more fans equals more money for the sanctioning body. In closing I would like to say GOOD LUCK!! to our Stewart Engines team competitors in they're upcoming events this weekend and for weekends to come throughout the summer. For more information on the "K" Series Midget Racing Engine you can email Jim Stewart at stewartengines@msn.com or my self Joe Warfield Jr. at jrwarfield@sbcglobal.net

Posted via Mobile Device

5/24/13, 7:33 AM   #27
sc96

I may have missed this but what is the cost of one of the new Honda engines???

Posted via Mobile Device

5/24/13, 8:20 AM   #28
mr nobody
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMS2683 View Post
That would be a yes for the Ignite midgets. The ignite series is already on life support so now they are introducing a new "spec" engine program. That will really help car counts. A few years ago they wanted to return to combo cars only but dropped that as too many people would have pavement cars that were rendered useless. But apparantly having to buy a completely new engine program will be fine.
The Focus Series should never have gotten away from that but that is another topic for another thread.

Quote:
As far as the national midgets another engine supplier in the mix is not a bad thing.
I am not so sure about this. Over the years when a new engine supplier joined midget racing, it has only increased the costs of racing andd right now, those costs are so high as it is that racing is suffering and we see a drop in car counts. Any which way you want to slice it the fact still remains this: high costs equal lower car counts and lower car counts equal low attendance. Fix the cost aspect and you will see growth. Since Honda is coming in, then what needs to be done is that all engine suppliers need to be held to a fixed price on their engines. That is sort of along the lines as what is used in Indycar except that in USAC (or any other series) the teams still own the engines and they are responsible for rebuilds and all parts. That isn't the way the Indycar series does their engine as far as ownership and rebuild responsibilities. This will be interesting to see how two or three years from now it looks to see if it works out or sputters and falls apart.

5/24/13, 9:34 AM   #29
midget96

I know but engine cost and rebuild cost every 10 -20 races is what is keeping us from going to the next level. WE WANT TO real bad. I guess we will have to

5/24/13, 12:17 PM   #30
vitron

Reading the release, I see nothing in USAC's decision to go with honda as a "sponsor" that benefits the competitor. I see new car's and ATV's for the hard workers at the office. Ignite midgets have to buy a whole new motor, i.e. "motor sales" The rule book was changed to get the mopar overhead cam legal and will be changed until the honda is a "winner" at the competitors expense. The rules were already changed recently for this motor, more to come for sure. Another personal gain for K. Miller, NOT the sport!! These guy's are one not to follow. Ask yourself when was the last decision USAC made that benefitted the sport, not themselves??

4 members like this post: DRC, midget96, team3521, TWO FIVE
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Honda USAC Midget Car Series in 2014?