IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Your Kids Chance To Try Quarter Midget Racing
3/24/13, 11:36 PM   #1
Your Kids Chance To Try Quarter Midget Racing
TQ97

Quarter Midget Racing for ages 5-16
www.Mini-Indy.org
Want to Actually Drive a Race Car?
Come test drive a real race car at Mini Indy Speedway’s Arrive & Drive April 13th, 2013!!!

It’s an opportunity for kids to actually drive a Quarter Midget Race Car on the famous Mini Indy Speedway Track (Located in the Northeast Corner of the Indiana State Fairgrounds).

Race Cars, all safety equipment and instructions are provided by the Mini Indy Speedway Non-for-Profit Club (www.Mini-Indy.org).

Kids (ages 5 - 16) are welcome.

Cost is $10 per driver for approximately 10-15 laps.

A.J. Nigh at mini_indy_president@yahoo.com

IMPORTANT: Parents MUST be present and sign a waiver before Child can take the track.

3/25/13, 1:43 PM   #2
Re: Your Kids Chance To Try Quarter Midget Racing
robert gatten

be very carefull...this is how Chad Boespflug got started racing in CA at the age of 8...went to a "play day" and he fell in love... bought a small car and started racing. 15 years later and LOTS of money spent he still loves it..ha Actually wouldn't change a thing and this type of thing is needed more often to promote racing to the young and it may become a way of life. go try it out, you may have a Kyle Larson "young money" setting there playing with their cell phone.

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Phylo82, racegal, smokeracefan
3/25/13, 3:28 PM   #3
Phylo82

Nine years ago when my son TJ was eight we went to Mini Indy novice day. He had never driven a quarter midget. After a few laps the Novice Director (Mike McGee) looked at me and said I hope you brought your checkbook, you need to buy that kid a car.

Well we bought a car, then another car.....then two new Stanley's. Four years and a Senior Honda championship later we retired from QM racing. It was an incredible experience going from knowing absolutely zero about racing to being a contender.

It was a lot of work hauling a motor home and trailer two hours to Indy from April to October but it was worth it. We met new friends that became like family. I never laughed so hard in my life as I did around some of those campfires we had after the race day was complete.

I would highly recommend getting a kid that is interested in racing out to Mini Indy for this event.

Posted via Mobile Device
#13e Maxim Sprint
Owner, Crew Chief, Pit Crew, Hauler, Check Writer, Grunt

3/26/13, 5:30 PM   #4
DAD

Getting a Quarter midgets and having kids are a lot alike. If you put off getting one until you think you can afford one you will never get one. One thing I enjoyed most about QM racing was watching the parents during their kids race, they really really get into it.

Kids learn things racing quarter midgets some race drivers will never learn. These good habits they learn racing Quarter midgets tend to stick with them through out their entire racing career.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: Pat O'Connor Fan
3/26/13, 10:43 PM   #5
Anderson36

We bought our son a 1/4 midget last October. After finishing off our racing season here with our full midget I was able to get some work done on his car. We drove 12 hours round trip to the Buckeye Winternationals in Columbus, Ohio. Every hour of our trip was well worth all the work and miles. Their rookie program was very well run and the controlled practices were very good for all of the newcomers.

In the three races we ran, two 2nd's and a 1st in the series finale, we never ran into anyone who wasn't willing to help us with every phase of the race day operations.

Jason Axsom, rookie trainer for Mini Indy, gave us alot of information on Mini Indy and offered to accommidate our rookie certification whenever we had a chance to make it down from the Chicago area.

When time allows we'll be making our trip down to Mini Indy. Practice starts early next month with the first race I believe being April 27th.

Of the races I've won, the Championships (UMARA, STARS and USAC D1) we've won... by far the proudest moment of my racing career was watching my son take his first checkard flag. I paced the last 6 laps studying the gap back to second and trying to control myself from throwing up..

Jim Anderson

3/27/13, 1:36 PM   #6
Pat O'Connor Fan

I had two grandsons go through this over here in the land of jailed ex-governors. Eventually both wound up with QMs -- Grandpa wound up "helping out" (purchased a new Bullrider one season, engines & tires other years) but what are Grandpas good for otherwise
It eventually led to one Dirt Grands championship (Senior Honda) and then a 600 Mini before it all ended when the world of girls and "my own car" entered the boys' lives.
Lots of fun, new friends, family togetherness, etc. to be had with QMs.

Take your kids to try it, but be warned: it can be the start of a budget-stretching form of family recreation

1 member likes this post: Phylo82
3/27/13, 10:05 PM   #7
Bad Dad 54

Did this at Waterford MI track & it was free, they wired the throttle so it only opened up a little.

3/29/13, 7:59 PM   #8
Eric C

Some of the Best times of my life was spent travelling the country going to QM races, the experiences you have with your children through this will never be forgotten, by you or your child, Speaking for myself I remember all the times I had when I was younger travelling around when I raced Moto X with my parents, and those memories are still strong today. There is nothing more self rewarding then watching your own children excelling in a sport like this as well as the many life lessons that will be learned at an early age.

and yes the Campfires at Mini-Indy were alot of fun.

Eric Cottongim

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Your Kids Chance To Try Quarter Midget Racing