IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What is happening to grass roots racing
2/19/13, 11:22 AM   #21
Re: What is happening to grass roots racing
racerjim2

I live in West Virginia and I see in this mornings paper that the officials here are talking about adding another "gas tax" to go toward the roads. What are they thinking anyway? Not to get into ******** but sometimes I wonder what these elected officials use for brains once elected?

2/19/13, 12:05 PM   #22

You guys are missing the boat on a few more things. 20 years ago no one had cell phones. Now most familys have atleast a $100 per month payment. Most people did not have computers, no one had internet. There is another $40 to $60 per month. 20 years ago everyone changed there own oil for $10 or $15. Now everyone hits there favorite quick lube at $30 to $40 per pop. Now throw in gas and other things mentioned, there is no extra money to race.

Most kids graduating high school today have never changed a tire. How in the world are we going to get these kids in racecars if they can not even do the simplist of things?

2/19/13, 12:49 PM   #23
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Jimmy, you talkin about big d? I think he's a bit further south than 5hrs, he's workin on gettin another one for this season, course then there's Larry, but he's got several races at different tracks close to him this year, then there's you, that must be the 5hr energy trip. You're makin me hungry, may have to try one of the McD's onion burgers. Bob
I'd wait and check with Jim on that wanabe "Fire Burger" first. Them things can be real hard on an overly aged digestive system!!!!!

Honest Dad himself

2/19/13, 3:21 PM   #24
racerjim2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
I'd wait and check with Jim on that wanabe "Fire Burger" first. Them things can be real hard on an overly aged digestive system!!!!!

Honest Dad himself
No problems here with that burger. That's why they make "Depends" guys, they catch all the over flow. I've ate worse things than that

In fact, I'm thinking about heading back and having another one of those things today.

2/19/13, 4:11 PM   #25
TQ29m

I knew you could handle it, Jimmie, a guy with your problems couldn't have a problem with a sarcastic stomach! Bob

2 members like this post: DAD, racerjim2
2/19/13, 6:19 PM   #26
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

I have to agree with Sandy Lowe. What are all these things? Last year, just for fun, I did a thread on here on all the sprint organizations and what kind of cars they ran. With the help of others on the board, it became a large list, with some organizations I had never heard of.

Perhaps this year someone can start a list of all these organizations and what they run. I certainly will not go to see a race when I don't know what kind of car it is that is running, but might if I know the car type. Anyone want to take this on?

2/19/13, 7:56 PM   #27
TQ29m

Frank, all of the organizations that Sandy listed are 3/4 midgets, usually, but not always, ran in conjunction with stock cars, and or Sprint cars, with the usual other divisions, but on occasion can be found running as a stand alone division, I'd pick one close to your habitat, and go watch them, and in the meantime, take a long look at their websites, rules and etc, can answer a lot of questions, TQ's didn't come down with yesterdays rain, they have been around for years, early 60's, so a lot of info is out there, google it, or ask questions on here, there will be those of us that will be glad to give up the "secrets"! Bob

2/21/13, 2:17 PM   #28
bigmojo5

The problem with small car racing is the same as what is wrong with almost every level of the sport. There are too many options, too many variations of the same thing -- with very slight differences. It should also be noted there are THREE TQ groups in Indiana now -- including UMRA, Midwest TQ and the King of the TQs. Then you add in the mini-sprints and all of their different formulas. Winged, non winged, sidewinders.

That is not a problem restricted to the small cars. Modified racing is seeing the same thing -- A mods, B-mods, UMP, USMTS, IMCA, WISSOTA.

Look at sprint cars and the different wing/nonwing and engine formulas. 410s. 360s. 358s, 305s. And on and on. Heck, some sanctioning bodies have as many as six or seven different regions.

Everybody wants a slice of the pie with their newest, latest and better idea, but the pie can only be cut into so many pieces.

2 members like this post: Bill Gardner, Brewer 14
2/24/13, 9:45 PM   #29
Torry

Open wheelers are not tge only motorsports group feeling a severe recession. The local bullring is suffering even with the growth of the new compact car "Hornet" classes. The county fairs have seen their tractor pulls, mud bogs and demo derby numbers go way down.

The problems and solutions run deep but we may just need to face a certain reality: America is changing and motorsports js going the way of the drive-in theater.

Posted via Mobile Device

2/25/13, 10:11 AM   #30
backitin

Too many obtions, too many distractions for our youth, nobody likes getting dirty anymore. I'm not sure lack of money is the main issue, there is plenty of money around just not much of it is spend on racing anymore. The exception to that is the modifieds around here they draw fifty cars all the time, more than the cheaper classes.
One grass root's racing that is alive and strong is MX, the local track here draws at least 300 riders every weekend they race sometimes over 500. Drop a couple wheels and have fun on the cheap, its more fun anyhow.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What is happening to grass roots racing