IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What is happening to grass roots racing
2/18/13, 1:31 PM   #1
What is happening to grass roots racing
drtracr

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 10

Where are the Kenyon Cars?. TQ Midget fields are shrinking, what is going on. I want to get into small cars and it seems like they are disappearing.
JM

1 member likes this post: DAD
2/18/13, 1:43 PM   #2
Re: What is happening to grass roots racing
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtracr View Post
Where are the Kenyon Cars?. TQ Midget fields are shrinking, what is going on. I want to get into small cars and it seems like they are disappearing.
JM
MONEY MONEY all it takes is MONEY!!! Entry level racing is also expensive. If we had $1.50 gasoline>> and we could>> Racing would take off.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: REALDEAL
2/18/13, 1:52 PM   #3
sprint96

The Kenyon cars are still running, I have a Kenyon midget and we run at Anderson and Logansport speedway. We were surprised when the Mel and Don Kenyon told us that you can buy a Kenyon car for $7,000 race ready with spares.

Grant Simpson
Grant Simpson Racing
#96 Kenyon Midget

2 members like this post: PJ Wright, speed bump
2/18/13, 2:57 PM   #4
treecitytornado

The toughest part about the T.Q. Midget deal, is there are only so many cars to go around for 3 different organizations.

Posted via Mobile Device

2/18/13, 4:17 PM   #5
TQ29m

I wouldn't say the TQ midget population is shrinking, and I think there are plenty to go around for 3 entities, they are helping themselves to the open boundries, and scheduling races almost all over Indiana, seems like a pretty good group of returns, and new coming out this season, lots of places within most peoples operating range to run, more like it should be as far as I'm concerned, but BUT, if fuel prices don't keep us all at home, then there will be a sequester of a large magnitude in the racing of all kinds. Bob

2/18/13, 4:30 PM   #6
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Listening to a news report this morning they told that the current $3.89 per gallon price on regular fuel is the highest ever in February in Indiana. The national average is $3.67 so Indiana is a leader in the nation right now. I hope this isn't a sign of what spring and summer will bring but I fear that $4.50 per gallon is a possibility. Diesel this morning here in the Redbud City is averaging $4.25 per gallon. This is what will keep race cars in the garage and fans at home if it continues.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

2 members like this post: jim goerge, team3521
2/18/13, 4:37 PM   #7
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
Listening to a news report this morning they told that the current $3.89 per gallon price on regular fuel is the highest ever in February in Indiana. The national average is $3.67 so Indiana is a leader in the nation right now. I hope this isn't a sign of what spring and summer will bring but I fear that $4.50 per gallon is a possibility. Diesel this morning here in the Redbud City is averaging $4.25 per gallon. This is what will keep race cars in the garage and fans at home if it continues.
Mike, Indiana is not near the leader in gas prices. Check out California, well over $4.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

1 member likes this post: mowerman
2/18/13, 4:38 PM   #8
HinesFan

There are just way more options out there than in the past. Once you step up from a go kart there are so many classes of cars and just too many classes. Quarter midgets, junior sprints, 600 restrictor, wing, non wing, outlaw, tq, upright 600, upright 1000, upright 1200, kenyon car, focus midget, ecotec midget.

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post:
2/18/13, 4:43 PM   #9
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
Mike, Indiana is not near the leader in gas prices. Check out California, well over $4.
John,

I didn't say the leader, just a leader. Other states are higher I realize but for the month of February, this is the highest fuel prices ever in Indiana at this time of year. Certainly doesn't look very promising for travel this spring and summer. I hope that I am wrong.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
Last edited by Mud Packer; 2/18/13 at 4:45 PM.

2 members like this post: IndyBound, jim goerge
2/18/13, 5:51 PM   #10
TQ29m

Last Friday, here in Seymour, reg gas was still $3.29, by Friday noon, it went up .60 cents to $3.89, with diesel at $4.29, even tho I get better fuel milage with my diesel, the .40 difference in the cost of a gallon, more than justifies still pulling with the diesel, but the distance traveled, vs the payout will still keep me close to home, I know, it effects the "pine knots" also, as well as the promoters, and with what I picked off the radio a week ago, gas prices here in Indiana are now expected to top $4.25 early this spring, so it's a crap shoot either way, I'm sorry to say, the folks in Washington still don't have a clue about economics, they aren't bothered by the cost of energy, they just use it, so it isn't a big thing, no wonder we can't get back to being close to even, it's all based on the cost of a bbl of oil, everything you eat, watch, or take for granted, when oil goes up, everything else follows, and we are racing in Indiana, or most of us are, California has it's own problems. Bob

3 members like this post: addictedtodirt, Mud Packer, racer65
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What is happening to grass roots racing