IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kevin O'Neal
1/17/13, 9:20 AM   #1
Kevin O'Neal
coxie bowman

Last I heard was Kevin had some problems and was spending time in his car. Does anyone have anthing current on him and how he's doing?

1/17/13, 2:43 PM   #2
treecitytornado

I always thought Kenyons were friends with him. He would be a great Announcer for their USSA Sprint and Mel Kenyon Midget classes.

Posted via Mobile Device

1/17/13, 3:28 PM   #3
Re: Kevin O'Neal
Tony Barhorst

I see on Facebook that Kevin is on a trip to Columbus, Ohio. I saw where he has been helped by many friends after the elimination of his job at the Indianapolis Star. He used to cover major crime stories. I messaged him about your question.

Yes he is a good announcer, and photographer. He was on the radio broadcast of the Indy 500 in the third turn at the 1999 Indy 500. He announced many events for Jack and Rose Calabrase's NAMARS. He has also announced Rumble Series races, including at the RCA Dome.

He took the best photo of the Rumble last year. He shot this from the pressbox, something most other photographers don't even try.

Tony Barhorst
Rumble Racing Series
Follow us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ru...s/177852124299

https://twitter.com/Rumbleseries
Attached Images
Quiniones Crash.jpg (89.3 KB, 241 views)
Last edited by Tony Barhorst; 1/19/13 at 1:04 PM.

1 member likes this post: racegal
1/17/13, 4:33 PM   #4
indybigjohn

Glad to hear Kevin isn't ill or anything. In addition to being a good announcer, he's a good friend.

1/17/13, 8:22 PM   #5
outlaw8iofs

Kevin is a great announcer,I grew up listening to him at the Speedrome, his voice alone makes the races very exciting.

1/18/13, 6:18 PM   #6
MIKE HEIMEL

Ok I Know they arent Sprint Cars lol But having also been a Figure 8 fan for years, I must say that the racing at the Speedrome would not have been as exciting over the years without Kevin Oneal !!! The man knows how to make the fans enjoy the racing without saying things that make fans look at each other and say "What The Hell Was That" Nuff Said !! Kevin, If you see this you are one of the BEST !

1/20/13, 3:40 PM   #7
coxie bowman

Kevin worked for me when NAMARS had a GOOD NAME and was the highest paying midget series at that time. Later when it was sold to other people, it took only three years to run it into the GROUND and GO BROKE. This was something I had hoped would never happen because it had such a good reputation and good name. NAMARS paid out over one million dollars in cash and contingencies a season when it was owned by my wife and me. KEVIN was, THE BEST announcer I ever had without a doubt, and was discrimminated at various times during his tenure with NAMARS, mostly because he was black. It made no difference to me because he was VERY VERY GOOD at what he did. His ego wasn't that big that he didn't do what our sponsors wanted. I've had announcers that worked for me and thought they OWNED the sanctioning body and would not follow orders. THEY were elimated shortly.
Kevin always understood that what we were trying to achieve pertaining to the advancement of midget and the series. May I ad that he was our MASTER OF CEREMONIES at our banquets and he always did his homework pertaining to THE BANQUET and there was NEVER a moment when he FAULTERED.
If I had a business that fell in his expertise, without a doubt he would be one of my KEY EMPLOYEES.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Kalvin, ossuks, PJ Wright, Vukie
1/20/13, 7:28 PM   #8
bigmojo5

Jack,
This was a great example of people helping people. When friends found out Kevin's circumstances, they helped pull him back up to his feet. Now rather than living in his car and praying he could get to his next job interview because his gas tank was empty, he's doing much, much better.
Always a joy to speak to and well versed on many subjects.

5 members like this post: Avon Open Wheel fan, ossuks, PJ Wright, Ricks Pics, speed bump
1/20/13, 10:05 PM   #9
racefanindy

I'm sorry to hear he was having troubles but, glad to hear he's in a better position now. Kevin was the announcer at the Speedrome back during the Thursday Night Thunder midget days. He's probably the best track announcer I've ever heard. He was always good about giving drivers names & numbers during hot laps. He would read tidbits from Speed Sport News during downtimes. He would get you caught up on what was going on in the race during cautions and, when the racing got really close and exciting, you could hear him yelling into the mike. He was obviously as excited to see good close racing as the fans were.

2/19/13, 3:41 PM   #10
Kevin O'Neal

Race Count Last Year: 20

I just learned of this thread.Thanks very much for the kind concern. I'm alive and living on Pendleton Pike from state unemployment payment to payment. I've been looking for a full-time job for several months, finding there's nothing available that seems to match my experience or abilities. None of the conventional job hunting techniques have worked, but that seems to be the case for most people nowadays.

7 members like this post: Bostonian, BrentTFunk, coxie bowman, K9Racer, Midget 89, racegal, Russ
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kevin O'Neal