IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT...need computer advice
12/23/12, 10:41 AM   #1
OT...need computer advice
cowboyhar69

My desk top computer starting making this whining noise last night like a wheel bearing was going out.....this morning it sounds like there are a million honey bees flying around in it. The computer is 6 years old so I figure it isnt worth fixing. Question is what would you buy?...laptop, another desk computer? I don't need anything fancy...just need to read emails, IOW, etc....Thanks!!

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

12/23/12, 10:51 AM   #2
Re: OT...need computer advice
Andrew S. Quinn

Just get a basic laptop then. It doesnt have to be an overhead cam version either!

2 members like this post: cowboyhar69, koolaid89
12/23/12, 10:56 AM   #3
cowboyhar69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
Just get a basic laptop then. It doesnt have to be an overhead cam version either!
So how much ($$$$) is basic, Andrew? Remember I am an old guy on a fixed income unless I can find a rich woman.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

2 members like this post: Danny Burton, speed bump
12/23/12, 10:56 AM   #4
weirracing

lap top are nice but make sure you get one with a large screen be sure to read a lot of reviews on them some of them have power packs that over heat and go out .

1 member likes this post: cowboyhar69
12/23/12, 11:06 AM   #5
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyhar69 View Post
My desk top computer starting making this whining noise last night like a wheel bearing was going out.....this morning it sounds like there are a million honey bees flying around in it. The computer is 6 years old so I figure it isnt worth fixing. Question is what would you buy?...laptop, another desk computer? I don't need anything fancy...just need to read emails, IOW, etc....Thanks!!
If you do it yourself, it'll cost you less than 10 bucks, chances are the cooling fan for the insides is going bad, and it probably needs a good blowing out, or vacuum of the cooling stuff inside, I've bought them for as little as .99 plus 2.00 shipping, most of them are interchangable, and it isn't rocket science to replace, just take your old one out, go to your Radio Shack, or Staples, buy one and put it in, and run another 6 yrs.Bob

3 members like this post: cowboyhar69, FishBurger, PIT CART
12/23/12, 11:22 AM   #6
Bill Gardner
Administrator

Cowboy... I personally hate laptops. I prefer using desktops. Its just a personal preference.

I recently bought a basic computer for my big screen in the living room. I got computer tower and wireless mouse/keyboard combo for around $250. You should be able to get a nice computer and pay less than $500.

If you need specifics send me an email or PM.

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: cowboyhar69, speed bump
12/23/12, 11:30 AM   #7
treecitytornado

Get a nice Dell Desktop with a big touch screen and plenty of memory for the rest of your life for around $650-$700 at Best Buy.

Posted via Mobile Device

12/23/12, 11:44 AM   #8
TQ29m

Cowboy, it isn't rocket science in there, just shut it down, after you figure which one of a possible 3 fans it could be, shut it down, pull the plug, pull the side cover off, and take out the 2 or 4 screws that hold it in, and head for Radio Shack, if you like what you have, and want to stay with it, 10.00 bucks will make it quiet, I made the mistake of going from XP, to Windows 7, never did get all my good stuff back where it was supposed to be, now I'm back with XP, and everything is where it used to be, if you're like me, just surfing, personal stuff, Ebay, Google, IOW, not a hard core gamer, just solitare, and pinball, 10.00 bucks and you're happy again. Bob

12/23/12, 12:33 PM   #9
Hotshoe65s

Whatever you decide to do, for the love of god DO NOT GET WINDOWS 8. Lol.

Posted via Mobile Device

12/23/12, 12:37 PM   #10
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

You can get more PC for your money with a desktop and they tend to last longer. At work most of the laptops we try and replace them when they get about 3 years old as we start seeing a lot of failures around that time. Desktop we has some that run for up to 5 years with out having issues. For every desktop service call I get I get three for our laptops.

2 members like this post: cowboyhar69, speed bump
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT...need computer advice