IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Crate sprints?
12/5/12, 2:29 PM   #21
Re: Crate sprints?
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Question isn't if it can be done, But who's willing to do the work???????????? Scheduling, purses, tech etc.

2 members like this post: koolaid89, nathans1012
12/5/12, 4:18 PM   #22
okienonwingfan

Let me add to this discussion a few things. Here is Oklahoma we have a "economy" non wing class. What in sprint cars is economy? This class is bascially what most of you guys are talking about. Our engine is basically a IMCA Northern/Southern sport mod motor. Steel block, steel head, 5.7 rods etc etc. No fuel injection. The class has been around for going on about 4 to 5 years. When the class started there were only three cars. This year I would not be surprised to see 18 to 20 cars. I bet I have about 4 grand in my motor.

Looking around this region of Oklahoma/Kansas and Texas the 305's are growing in popularity but also price as well. Their is a 305 group in Kansas and I have heard of those guys having 12 to 15 in thier motors. This coming from a promoter. I have looked at a complete 305 raceceiver motor that is sealed on line to get a good idea on price and the webiste I saw had a complete motor for near 8 grand. With ASCS going 305's, they are a series, primarily in West Texas and New Mexico I see that 8 grand slowly rising as IMCA and Knoxville both are running 305's.

1 member likes this post: PatrickMead#13
12/5/12, 4:50 PM   #23
nathan48moore

I have to agree with you okie, the thing about racing a sprintcar is it is not cheap. Their are guys spending 24,000 for a racesaver motor. Call asi in Lubbock. The way I see it, is you CANNOT stop people from spending money. If they are going to out money me then oh well I can't stop it. If its not in a motor, and you regulate shocks or whatever else you want. Some can run new bars, new shocks, new tires, etc. every week. Most can't. I think what you really want to regulate is impossible to regulate, money. If I spend 10,000 and someone spends 50,000, I don't expect to be at their level. But if you have to spend 25,000 on a motor to outrun 10,000 motors then that's your problem. Keep the purses cheap. That's the answer.

Posted via Mobile Device

12/5/12, 4:51 PM   #24
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Question isn't if it can be done, But who's willing to do the work???????????? Scheduling, purses, tech etc.
Wish I knew more of how to do this and had the funds to get it off the ground. A winning powerball ticket would be great then I would dig my feet in a give it a try

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, nathans1012
12/5/12, 4:57 PM   #25
PatrickMead#13

. If I spend 10,000 and someone spends 50,000, I don't expect to be at their level. But if you have to spend 25,000 on a motor to outrun 10,000 motors then that's your problem. Keep the purses cheap. That's the answer.

Very well said

Posted via Mobile Device

12/5/12, 5:19 PM   #26
cmiracingvids

Keep the money spread out. EXACTLY!!! If someone wants to spend a fortune to make 100 bucks more than last place...let em. A lot of guys will still go out there and run, get their starting money, have fun, hopefully be safe, and go home.
I've seen it in go karts....guys spending upwards of 6,7,8 thousand in their kart stuff...just to go win 100 bucks. That...to me...is ridiculous.

I agree. Keep purse money spread out, and don't pay the winner a peanut farm, and give last place a peanut.

Posted via Mobile Device

4 members like this post: koolaid89, nathans1012, oldfan49, PatrickMead#13
12/5/12, 5:48 PM   #27
darnall

The worst thing about the crate motors is the authorized rebuilders/sealers....they are contracted to inspect for legality and seal up legal motors...they also do rebuilds. The rebuilds are the problem. Anybody who goes and buys a crate engine straight from the factory will get blown off the track by the rebuilds. Look on the classifieds for crate latemodels and you will see ad after ad selling a USED crate motor built by so and so for 8-10 grand...the autorized sealers also go in and tolerance and bluprint everything right to the limits of the specs and charge handsomely for it. Even though you don't gain hundreds of ponies from the tolerancing you gain enough to see a big difference. Thats the worst thing about underpowered racecars, a little extra goes a long long way. Thats why a legal briggs go-kart motor sells for 2 grand these days, they have found another half of a horsepower which is a big deal on something that only had 5 to begin with.

I love the comment above about people who have to spend 50 grand to outrun 10 grand... why does it seem like the majority fit in that category these days?..haha

1 member likes this post: PatrickMead#13
12/5/12, 6:03 PM   #28
PatrickMead#13

Could always do a power limit and enforce it with random chassis dyno runs that way spend money to the moon but only can have xxxhp. This would curb the issue of rebuild cost thru "official" places and gives the backyard mechanic a chance to compete with the money bag. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry, but a $2000 300hp engine runs just the same as a $20000 300hp engine at the end of the day, right?

Posted via Mobile Device

12/5/12, 6:43 PM   #29
nathan48moore

I believe you are right in a sense. But horsepower is just a part of it. 300hp at 6500 rpm and 300hp at 8200 rpm is different. Also that is a big difference in money.

Posted via Mobile Device

12/5/12, 6:44 PM   #30
okienonwingfan

In our class it pays 200 to win under 15 cars and 300 over 15. I have had numerous guys say I am not building a car only to run for that. Although, I would like more cars in my head I am thinking fine that just means that the ones that are there now want to be here.

According to the rules we are suppose to have a vacuum rule but the promoter does not check it. I have talked to him about it and he said it is to hard to check since sprints do not have starters. We have a guy who has won the championship two years in a row. He has been torn down and using legal parts. I was there for the tear down at the track.However, his motor is built by one of those "engine builders" . I built my motor in my buddies garage with the same parts.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Crate sprints?