IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Crate sprints?
12/4/12, 9:51 PM   #11
Re: Crate sprints?
tim kelley

I really think after a period of time the creat's, or steel block series would go. Problem is that there
is not many if any in this area, and most guys aren't gonna build something without a place to run. Can't blame the tracks, race cars bring fans and fans pay bills. Might be something to work on in the future. Make calls, have meetings and see if there's enough interest.

12/4/12, 10:38 PM   #12
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim kelley View Post
I really think after a period of time the creat's, or steel block series would go. Problem is that there
is not many if any in this area, and most guys aren't gonna build something without a place to run. Can't blame the tracks, race cars bring fans and fans pay bills. Might be something to work on in the future. Make calls, have meetings and see if there's enough interest.
Agreed.... I'm thinking this might have some growth potential considering gas prices (fans, teams, and track operations), and everything else costing more. We're still gonna race just have to be more careful how to keep having fun and by controlling the big costs as much as possible can go along way and by keeping a very close eye on rules and their enforcements.

Posted via Mobile Device

12/4/12, 11:05 PM   #13
Kellen Conover

The problem is that the ones who want a "crate" motor deal usually find another reason not to go when you deliver that to them ie tires, fuel, travel, etc. I know that crate late models tend to struggle with car counts around home. There comes a point when you can't keep dividing classes up over and over. There are lots of reasonably price aluminum power plants out there, that aren't national caliber but can provide a good low budget bullet for local racing. At the end of the day you just have to go race within your means and have fun.

Posted via Mobile Device

12/4/12, 11:22 PM   #14
SamSr32

You guys are all missing the boat. Check the Race Saver web site for the best affordable and cost effective Sprint Class in the USA. I started with 305's in Ohio in the beginning in 1988, but they have got clear out of control cost wise, but are still successful. I have thought about starting a Race Saver Series in Indiana, but health and age has stopped that idea. They have over 600 Sprint Cars nationally at this time and the group was started by French Grimes in Virginia. Check their web site and some regions listed, also United Rebel Sprint Series and IMCA Sprint Series. The cost of Sprint Car Racing has opened this field up for people that love Sprint Car Racing, but do not have deap pockets.

1 member likes this post: davidm
12/4/12, 11:31 PM   #15
HurstBros0

Red Hill tried a Jasper Engine crate series years ago... It was a valiant idea but guys with sprint cars already have the other engine stuff ... Guys without were gonna have to buy steel wheels and a 7500 dollar engine they couldn`t work on because of the seals... Carbs on tip over prone cars are kinda scary... If there is enough interest in this grab the bull by the horns, aproach 3-4 local area tracks to run them as a 300 to win 100 to start back up class. Let them run take off tires of any brand (don`t let that gracious 1500$ title sponsor money sway your integrity) , crate engine , invert the whole field from their heat race finish, since they will all have the same power put transponders on them and catch the sandbaggers who think that finishing on the tail of their heat race will start them up front in the feature. Get old Sam Stockon as a consultant because he was the last guy to successfully start a sprint series around here and have it stick. Somebody wins three in a row they get to set out the next three...

But without someone policing all the above you will get the 30,000$ 305 series described in another post. He will cost you a couple thousand a week for him to remain interested in his integrity for your rules... So you will need the promoter to pony up at the least 5 grand a night for your purse and expenses to keep you interested in furthering your venture... All that said... you still have to talk racers into selling their mods, mini`s, bombers etc. to buy into your program to have a full field of cars to get the promoter to roll those dice. If you are still interested and are gonna take the dive... I will be your first guy to commit . I will get me a crate and haul it on my little trailer behind my old 88 Chev truck with 398,000 miles and laugh all the way home with my 100$ in my pocket until I get to the first gas station...

5 members like this post: jjsprt92, Kansasdirtfan, Kellen Conover, PAW
12/4/12, 11:57 PM   #16
nathan48moore

Samsr32, the racesaver class is a good class. In the east Texas, Dallas area we have grown to well over 150 sprints in a few years. We just don't run non wing. This past September we took my racesaver car to little rock to run with Usac. I was a rookie driver with 0 laps in a wingless car. I did not qualify that far behind and ran fair with the 410 and 360s in the heat. I am surprised Indiana does not have a racesaver 305 wingless class yet. Hopefully soon.

Posted via Mobile Device

12/5/12, 12:35 AM   #17
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurstBros0 View Post
Red Hill tried a Jasper Engine crate series years ago... It was a valiant idea but guys with sprint cars already have the other engine stuff ... Guys without were gonna have to buy steel wheels and a 7500 dollar engine they couldn`t work on because of the seals... Carbs on tip over prone cars are kinda scary... If there is enough interest in this grab the bull by the horns, aproach 3-4 local area tracks to run them as a 300 to win 100 to start back up class. Let them run take off tires of any brand (don`t let that gracious 1500$ title sponsor money sway your integrity) , crate engine , invert the whole field from their heat race finish, since they will all have the same power put transponders on them and catch the sandbaggers who think that finishing on the tail of their heat race will start them up front in the feature. Get old Sam Stockon as a consultant because he was the last guy to successfully start a sprint series around here and have it stick. Somebody wins three in a row they get to set out the next three...

But without someone policing all the above you will get the 30,000$ 305 series described in another post. He will cost you a couple thousand a week for him to remain interested in his integrity for your rules... So you will need the promoter to pony up at the least 5 grand a night for your purse and expenses to keep you interested in furthering your venture... All that said... you still have to talk racers into selling their mods, mini`s, bombers etc. to buy into your program to have a full field of cars to get the promoter to roll those dice. If you are still interested and are gonna take the dive... I will be your first guy to commit . I will get me a crate and haul it on my little trailer behind my old 88 Chev truck with 398,000 miles and laugh all the way home with my 100$ in my pocket until I get to the first gas station...
Wow. I applaud this because it is the truth. It's like I told rob, it is possible to do something like he wanted to do, but it would take a TON of work, selling, dedication, and $ to make it work. The carb thing could be solved by tbi, but it would start adding costs and getting the budget moving back up again. On my end, I just want to put something together so my dad can go practice and see if racing / driving is his cup of tea. Now if someone did do a low budget sprint series locally, I'd be interested, but I'm happy with my mini sprint running w/ the midgets @ Montpelier and learning every time I go out.

Posted via Mobile Device

12/5/12, 7:59 AM   #18
backitin

I've been saying all along the crate class is the way to go. The engines are inexpensive and very reliable. They run them in the sportsman modifieds here and it is the best thing to happen. I know guys that run a "stock engine" that have more money in they're top end than in a complete crate motor.

12/5/12, 9:52 AM   #19
kcarm92

crate engine would be the way to go, BUT you still need to put limits on other things no adjustable cockpit shocks, no weight jackers, just plain old oil shocks if you dont do that it will be just like the late model deal you will have someone buy 1500-2000 worth of stuff to make there stuff better. thats all it would really take, also a good tech person to check engines, also put in a weight rule, no ti parts. you would be suprised by how many you might get to support this

2 members like this post: K9Racer, west coast
12/5/12, 10:08 AM   #20
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarm92 View Post
crate engine would be the way to go, BUT you still need to put limits on other things no adjustable cockpit shocks, no weight jackers, just plain old oil shocks if you dont do that it will be just like the late model deal you will have someone buy 1500-2000 worth of stuff to make there stuff better. thats all it would really take, also a good tech person to check engines, also put in a weight rule, no ti parts. you would be suprised by how many you might get to support this
This is true. $60-80 steel non take apart shocks, steel wheels, etc would help drive cost DOWN and keep it there and unless I'm wrong, it would help control the tech side of things right? I'm kinda glad I started this topic because it has brought out some good information.

Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Crate sprints?