IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Du Qouin
9/3/12, 6:52 PM   #51
Re: Du Qouin
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

My question would be what are the costs to the promoter of a stand alone event compared to a fair date? I am sure that Sunday September 16th is good for USAC but maybe not for the DuQuoin State Fair or Bob Sargent.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
9/4/12, 8:39 AM   #52

anyone else think maybe its time to let this thing die off? If this race would have happened, how many cars would have been in attendance? what 18 to 25. If Silver Crown cars had a future another promoter would be running them now.

9/4/12, 8:54 AM   #53
miledirt

A few short years ago, there were 8,000 people in the stands

Definitely not time to let this "die off"

Posted via Mobile Device

4 members like this post: groove grabber, K-Dawg30, ronmil
9/4/12, 3:20 PM   #54
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I just talked with Bob Sargent. The ARCA race was rescheduled because they have a sponsor that made it financially feasible for the promoter. Bob shared with me that the last (and only) time he rescheduled, he lost $30,000. That was in 2003, which was the first race run under the lights, and, ironically, the best race I've seen there.
I don't know how many of you that have commented on this thread actually support this race, but I have every year beginning in 1965. I have had my tickets since March and I was really looking forward to seeing the cars run on the track since they added the new dirt.
This will be the second time in the last three years that I have had to mail my tickets back for a refund, but I will reorder again next spring when I receive my notification. Hope that everyone on this board that possibly can will join me!

9/4/12, 6:08 PM   #55
groove grabber

Ignite should fill that roll for the crown cars

Posted via Mobile Device

4 members like this post: fasster23, koolaid89, ronmil
9/5/12, 12:56 AM   #56
SC90

I hope everyone is able to support the Silver Crown cars in the years ahead. That being said, the series is in trouble not because of fans or promoters, but because USAC has made some questionable decisions that have lowered car counts. When car counts go down, everything goes down with it -- fans and interest. When car counts are up, fans will support the races.

I just came back from a race about 2 weeks ago that had over 140+ cars entered, along with over 700+ drivers. The series first race was in 2009. Car counts = people = money.

I don't want to be a cynic or anything, but I'm still waiting for USAC to try to explain to me why I should invest $$ to convert my cars to ethanol. I'm still waiting. The last time USAC reached out to me was when Greg Staab and Rollie were still part of USAC. I haven't heard from them in over 3 years. Talk about salesmanship and marketing. Not! LOL! Any sponsor that thinks they will get some promotion of their product from USAC is sadly misinformed.
Last edited by SC90; 9/5/12 at 1:01 AM.

2 members like this post: Mud Packer, ronmil
9/5/12, 8:11 AM   #57
chassisman55

Ron;
The cars that ran at Daytona were 60% front engine roadsters, and 40% the same cars that ran Langhorne, Sacto, the Indy Mile, and the rest of the dirt tracks.
In terms of Champ Car history, you are for sure a newbie!!

9/5/12, 1:57 PM   #58
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassisman55 View Post
Ron;
The cars that ran at Daytona were 60% front engine roadsters, and 40% the same cars that ran Langhorne, Sacto, the Indy Mile, and the rest of the dirt tracks.
In terms of Champ Car history, you are for sure a newbie!!
chassisman55,

Here is the entry list for that race. D designates dual purpose car, which means they also competed on dirt tracks. In your original statement you implied that all of the cars were of the dirt type, at least that's the way I interpreted it. Interesting being referred to as a newbie at my age!

www.champcarstats.com/races/195901.htm
Last edited by ronmil; 9/6/12 at 3:02 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Du Qouin