IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Haubstadt demo derby
9/3/12, 4:17 PM   #1
Haubstadt demo derby
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

In checking the online schedule for TSS and also the printed one I picked up at the track, I just noticed that the annual demo derby is not shown. That was a highly successful event for the track every year. I used to attend every year back in the day, but haven't been for several years. Has it been dropped?

9/3/12, 4:31 PM   #2
Re: Haubstadt demo derby
jim goerge

Ron It has been dropped Its been a shadow of its old self for couple years now. Used to get 150 to 250 cars now maybe 30 for the derby. I have talked to some guys who used to do it and they said they stopped cuz of the price of decent old cars has made it not worth it They would get a pretty good field of cars for the endruo but not much of crowds. I went cuz I scored them lot easier then scoreing sprints could score top 10 and take a short nap lol

9/3/12, 4:43 PM   #3
ronmil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
Ron It has been dropped Its been a shadow of its old self for couple years now. Used to get 150 to 250 cars now maybe 30 for the derby. I have talked to some guys who used to do it and they said they stopped cuz of the price of decent old cars has made it not worth it They would get a pretty good field of cars for the endruo but not much of crowds. I went cuz I scored them lot easier then scoreing sprints could score top 10 and take a short nap lol
Thanks for the reply, Jim! The last time I went was in 2005 and the grandstands were full, but the amount of cars entered was not as large as it was back in the '70's. Since large rear wheel drive cars are not as plentiful as they used to be, it is bound to be hard to find fodder for a demo derby car.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
9/3/12, 6:11 PM   #4
rclaridge

I asked Tommy about this earlier in the year and he told me they dropped the Derby and want work on building up the Harvest Cup race they run in October

Posted via Mobile Device

9/3/12, 7:07 PM   #5
AB Racing

They went to stock rule last year to try to keep the cost down and it didn't seem to catch on. What people were putting in these car motors was getting out of hand. Still a good crowd but not very many cars.

9/3/12, 9:38 PM   #6
17B

There is one being planned for Sunday Sept 23 at Clay County Speedway in Flora, IL
Clay County Speedway Enduro - Demo and Fun Day
Here is what I have now, fliers be done soon
1:00 that Sunday
12 big events on 1 big day
75 lap big car $700+
50 lap mini car $700+
20 lap auto cross $200+
10 powder puff $100+
15 lap big car figure 8 $100+
15 lap mini car figure 8 $100+
5 lap backwards race $50
40 lap rebuy enduro both big and mini $250+
lawn mower demo $200+
pure stock demo cars $500+
mini demo cars $500+
modified demo cars $1000+
Last edited by 17B; 9/4/12 at 9:27 AM.

1 member likes this post: rclaridge
9/3/12, 11:11 PM   #7
Stocko23

modified demo?!??

9/3/12, 11:37 PM   #8
VSneader2

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 11

For what it cost to build a competitive derby car now. You could probably easily build a bomber race car. Car prices have gotten out of hand, for a rust free 80's ford you are looking at $5-600 just for the rolling chassis, you want a 70's gm probably $1000 or more. Now add the engine, sliding drive shaft, specialty built trannies and rearends, gears, engine protectors, distributor protectors, ect. guys have $3000-6000 tied up in just those components. By time you add in the time it takes to build the car and the additional expenses you are looking at alot of time and money tied up. I have been doing derbies for 9 years, and it has all but priced me out of it, atleast for fullsize cars. I just don't have the engine and equipment to run the bigger shows. I know guys who are running $5,000 to $10,000 engines. I still try to run one show a year, but after my current car is used up, not sure what i am going to do. Been thinking about just selling all my stuff off and putting a push bar on my truck and go push sprint cars when I home. I would rather be at the track on a saturday night then running a derby most nights now.

9/4/12, 2:11 PM   #9
ronmil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17B View Post
There is one being planned for Sunday Sept 23 at Clay County Speedway in Flora, IL
Clay County Speedway Enduro - Demo and Fun Day
Here is what I have now, fliers be done soon
1:00 that Sunday
12 big events on 1 big day
75 lap big car $700+
50 lap mini car $700+
20 lap auto cross $200+
10 powder puff $100+
15 lap big car figure 8 $100+
15 lap mini car figure 8 $100+
5 lap backwards race $50
40 lap rebuy enduro both big and mini $250+
lawn mower demo $200+
pure stock demo cars $500+
mini demo cars $500+
modified demo cars $1000+
Sounds interesting, but I'll be spending the 23rd driving back home from Eldora.

9/4/12, 2:19 PM   #10
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSneader2 View Post
For what it cost to build a competitive derby car now. You could probably easily build a bomber race car. Car prices have gotten out of hand, for a rust free 80's ford you are looking at $5-600 just for the rolling chassis, you want a 70's gm probably $1000 or more. Now add the engine, sliding drive shaft, specialty built trannies and rearends, gears, engine protectors, distributor protectors, ect. guys have $3000-6000 tied up in just those components. By time you add in the time it takes to build the car and the additional expenses you are looking at alot of time and money tied up. I have been doing derbies for 9 years, and it has all but priced me out of it, atleast for fullsize cars. I just don't have the engine and equipment to run the bigger shows. I know guys who are running $5,000 to $10,000 engines. I still try to run one show a year, but after my current car is used up, not sure what i am going to do. Been thinking about just selling all my stuff off and putting a push bar on my truck and go push sprint cars when I home. I would rather be at the track on a saturday night then running a derby most nights now.

Never been to a high tech demo like that. It was always chain or weld the door shut,and a few simple things like that,then have at it!

I can also add that a demo derby on a paved track is a letdown. once they throw the green all you see is tire smoke. I does get a bit interesting after a few radiators get broken though,and no traction

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Haubstadt demo derby