IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Everybody talks about drivers... what about the guys turning the wrenchs??
2/15/08, 5:22 PM   #41
Re: Everybody talks about drivers... what about the guys turning the wrenchs??
onthcushin

Here is my list:
Galen Fox
Ralph & Tracy Potter
Paul Hazen
Jim McQueen
Jack French
Phil Shuler
Joe Conroy
Bob Darland
Tim Bookmiller
Bob Hampshire
Daryl Tate
Alot of wins :checkered:

2/15/08, 10:30 PM   #42
Larryoracing

Charlie Wiggins: The 'Negro Speed King' "Black History Month"

Charlie and his wife opened a garage in Indianapolis and quickly established himself as the city's top mechanic.

Charlie rose to chief mechanic and became recognized as the best mechanic in the city.

He was held in high regard by the city's elite, and particularly by white race car drivers, who were among the top contenders for the Indianapolis 500.

Every year Charlie would enter "The Wiggins Special" in the Indianapolis 500,

Harry MacQuinn, a white Indy 500 driver and friend of Charlie's, asked to use a "Wiggins Special" in a race at Louisville.

In 1934 Bill "Wild Bill" Cummings was one of the top competitors in the AAA asked Charlie to serve in his pit crew for the Indianapolis 500.

Bill Cummings won the 1934 Indianapolis 500 in what newsreels described as one of the greatest races in Indianapolis 500 history, and for years after, Bill Cummings publicly recognized and thanked Charlie for his skill and expertise in the victory.

He would champion the rights of black mechanics and drivers and continue to fight the segregationist practices of the American Automobile Association. He would train young black mechanics who would contribute greatly to the development of the automobile and racing, and he would be visited at his garage by many important white drivers and mechanics seeking his expertise.

In 1979 and was buried in an unmarked grave at Crown Hill Cemetery in Indianapolis.

http://www.evansville.net/user/boneyard/babs07.htm

Larry "O":thumb

2/15/08, 11:22 PM   #43
sprintcar64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gardner View Post
I have to give props to the guys that had patience enough to teach a computer geek(ME) the ins & outs of spint car racing....

Bottomline folks... if it weren't for these three guys my interest in sprint car racing would not be what it is... this website surely would not exist if not for these three... Brian Hayden, Danny Williams Jr. and Derrek Williams, While Hayden can't turn on a dam computer... I know that Danny and Derrek occasionally visit this site... Thanks guys!!

Where's the grease... I need to cover my shirt with it... :O:
Bill I hope to get to see you at some more races this year.

2/18/08, 5:50 PM   #44
jacobsd1967

What about some of the young guys that are coming up? Does anyone know where Twinkie is?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Everybody talks about drivers... what about the guys turning the wrenchs??