IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > eldora
7/29/12, 12:06 PM   #51
Re: eldora
Sprintcarfanatic

The press release about Ballou makes it sound like he stopped on the track, He did not. When he hit the cushion between 1 & 2 you could see the car slow down & he coasted all the way down the backstretch on the bottom & they threw the caution just as he pulled into the 2nd entry way down by turn 3.

7/29/12, 12:24 PM   #52
Tim Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlydirt View Post
Took my Mom and Dad for their first Eldora Experience, they loved it! Mom loves sprints and Dad can take it or leave it, but he really like the big fast track. Racing was awesome format was pretty good, could use a tweak or two but made for some great racing.

Ballou was the Mad Man once again...then broke. I dont think he was gonna advance from 3rd, but moving up 20 spots was an awesome site to see for sure. I told my Mom and Dad what cars to watch and I was spot on all night thanks to BC and Ballou.

By the way this was my first trip back to Eldora for at least 5 yrs and the place was great!
My buddy was there last night and it's been 3 years since his last trip. He said how things have changed but the funny comment he made was "it's just to clean to have a race here".

7/29/12, 12:33 PM   #53
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I was quite dusty when I left but i could see the racing, Thats all that counts, Even the winged race afterward wasn't the waves of dust Im used too at that place.

7/29/12, 2:11 PM   #54
BrentTFunk

I thought it was a good show. The most effort I have seen on track prep since I have been going there. (1982) I liked the format,but you could not do it all the time, because nobody would race with you. I think they had a good enough crowd, that they could build on it for the future. Good show.

2 members like this post: Mud Packer, Tim Watson
7/29/12, 2:25 PM   #55
Chubs Peterson

It was certainly not a tire for Ballou because they all had air when he came in the pits so thanks for the driveline note. On another board I seen a guy suggested making this a two-day show with a regular USAC show on Friday night for points and normal procedure and then do this again, ala the Kings royal. Love that idea and that would probably draw more cars and a bigger crowd, although it was a solid crowd.
Track was in great shape and a little dust but not bad at all. Track has been really good all year. Roger Slack is doing a great job there and if you havent been there in a while I suggest a trip back. But I am a self admitted Eldora homer.

3 members like this post: MWestfallfan54, speed bump, Tim Watson
7/30/12, 8:24 AM   #56
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

A very entertaining evening of racing at the Big E. Roger Slack has done a fine job in my opinion on the track prep so far this year. First time in a long time that I have seen them bring the tractors out on the track after the show has started.

Since Roger was hired late, I thought it would take him more time to make a significant difference. I believe that with more work over the winter, that we will see even more of a difference next season.

I liked the format and hope that they can build on this experience and build this race down the road. The NRA sprints also put on a good show and the track held up well for that feature as well.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

7/30/12, 9:39 AM   #57
flatout18

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 46

Had a great time. Track was real racy. I can put up with some dust as long as I could see. There were a couple of times they were 4 wide off of 2 for position now, that's what I like. I thought the racing format was great. I loved the whole heat inversion but, i'm sure the drivers didn't. Robert Ballou was elbows up in the B and the Feature a pure joy to watch. Everybody around me was on their feet cheering for him. I hated to see his night end that way. How about Chase Stockon from 20th for a top 5..

I would recommend USAC to pay attention to the fan response from this race. They need to change the "getting the qualifying time back " in the feature. Heats need to be set up by qualifying and need a big invert or draw for heat and use passing points. The race for the top 4 to get your qualifying time back is boring and not rewarding enough to the guy with an issue in qualifying that started out back and won the heat.

Just my opinion

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, Jbaldwin
7/30/12, 11:34 AM   #58
i love dirt track racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatout18 View Post
Had a great time. Track was real racy. I can put up with some dust as long as I could see. There were a couple of times they were 4 wide off of 2 for position now, that's what I like. I thought the racing format was great. I loved the whole heat inversion but, i'm sure the drivers didn't. Robert Ballou was elbows up in the B and the Feature a pure joy to watch. Everybody around me was on their feet cheering for him. I hated to see his night end that way. How about Chase Stockon from 20th for a top 5..

I would recommend USAC to pay attention to the fan response from this race. They need to change the "getting the qualifying time back " in the feature. Heats need to be set up by qualifying and need a big invert or draw for heat and use passing points. The race for the top 4 to get your qualifying time back is boring and not rewarding enough to the guy with an issue in qualifying that started out back and won the heat.

Just my opinion
go mad man hope to see you and amy soon.

7/30/12, 12:12 PM   #59
ThrowbackRacingTeam

I sure was covered in lot of dust at the end but at the same time the track was really tacky, especially the front stretch and a great cushion. The prep crew did an awesome job, there's just a problem still with the surface itself and that's something that Slack adressed before the season and mentioned possibly bringing in new dirt next year. Hopefully they will follow through cause it needs it. Awesome racing and tons of passing on a tacky track believe it or not. I left thoroughly pleased..just don't wear your nice threads to this place.

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: John P Huss
7/31/12, 12:13 AM   #60
John P Huss

I'm planning on 4 Crown.
Best Regards,
John

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > eldora