IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indiana Sprint Week thank yous
7/23/12, 1:28 AM   #1
Indiana Sprint Week thank yous
Danny Burton

While it's fresh on my mind I'd like to thank the following racing people for the kindness they've shown my youngest grandson the past few days. Bear with me as the list is long and in no particular order.

Shane Cottle, Kevin Thomas Jr., Thomas Meseraull, Coleman Gulick, A.J. Hopkins, Robert Ballou, Chase Stockon, Chad Boespflug, Dave Darland, Darren Hagen, Levi Jones, Hunter Schuerenberg, Justin Grant, Bryan Clauson, Hoffman Racing, Chris Pederson, Tony Stewart and Tom Brenner.

1,000 apologies or more if I've missed anyone. Earlier this year Jamie Fredrickson and Chase Briscoe did the same as those already named.

In most all cases little was said or done on the surface. A kind word, an autograph, a picture--things that took literally seconds to do. But it is very important that all the people mentioned, and many others who are not, at least have an idea of what an effect they are having on our younger fans. These young people go home and talk about what they've seen.

They've seen people race hard, show much emotion, ranging from extreme anger to pure joy to overwhelming sadness. They see that these people are human, of course, but often they see the kindness and interest that racing people have in kids. As one says, "They are racing's future."

There is nothing special about my grandson, though his interest and knowledge is uncommon for a three year old. But the look in his eyes when cars come on the track, or when he interacts with a driver (even when he's shy, Chase Stockon) is very special, at least to these aging eyes. The kindness done by these named and many more is also special. Bless you all.

Many people here will look at this list and say of some, "What a @#&*. He's a dirty driver/cheater/bum/loser/low life, etc." So what? All I know is that they were kind to one of the most special people in my life--ever.

It's too easy to look for the bad. A few here do a fine job at that. But sometimes we can find a person, racer or not, who may exhibit good qualities on occasion--if we try. Instead too often we'd rather be partisan to the point where our dislike or hatred of another person clouds our common sense and our "better angels" as Abe Lincoln called it. That is sad and it diminishes all of us when we allow prejudice, hatred, ignorance, and this need to put something or someone down every time we sit before a keyboard. We lower ourselves and, even worse, show no embarrassment for doing so. All we want to know or share here is that so and so is an a@@ and the @#$%^& Speedway is a dump, unlike my favorite driver/track. It gets old.

ISW is over and I'm almost glad. Am I tired. At this ungodly hour, I'm hopelessly behind in my writing yet here I am thanking a bunch of guys who may not even recall seeing this kid in the past few days or weeks.

I'll manage.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.
Last edited by Danny Burton; 7/23/12 at 1:37 AM.

7/23/12, 5:13 AM   #2
Re: Indiana Sprint Week thank yous
Andrew S. Quinn

How many of those guys has he threatened with his karate chops???

7/23/12, 10:14 AM   #3
HARFprez

Race Count This Year: 3

Danny, you're not getting paid by the word on IOW! this reply from, as your grandson says, "another bob?"

7/23/12, 11:16 AM   #4
PJ Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Burton View Post

It's too easy to look for the bad. A few here do a fine job at that. But sometimes we can find a person, racer or not, who may exhibit good qualities on occasion--if we try. Instead too often we'd rather be partisan to the point where our dislike or hatred of another person clouds our common sense and our "better angels" as Abe Lincoln called it. That is sad and it diminishes all of us when we allow prejudice, hatred, ignorance, and this need to put something or someone down every time we sit before a keyboard. We lower ourselves and, even worse, show no embarrassment for doing so. All we want to know or share here is that so and so is an a@@ and the @#$%^& Speedway is a dump, unlike my favorite driver/track. It gets old.
IMO, that is the post/paragraph of the year. I couldn't agree more.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, stephen
7/23/12, 1:25 PM   #5
Danny Burton

ASQ: You....so far.

Bob: It's big Jon for Stanbrough and little John that Hoover guy. Dave and old Dave for Darland and Foist. And so on..... Soon we hope he can graduate to surnames as well. Especially with Bob's.

PJ: Thanks, and I'll disagree, lol, at least to an extent. What is most important to me is that we can agree to disagree. And we can present our opinions as that instead of facts. Just now I read yet another post from one who wasn't at LPS and yet commented about track conditions. Folks, don't be surprised when your comments cease to be taken seriously. Bill, as far as I know, won't delete posts like that and he shouldn't...unless one gets abusive with name calling, defamation of character, etc. This is not where you can claim your First Amendment rights; it's Bill's board, not the government's.

Finally: I knew I'd forget a few people. Senior moments. Add Bob and Monica Clauson, Andrew Quinn, John Hoover and Mark Fritz for now. Monica makes for a good race track grandmother. The others play the role of kindly, though eccentric, great-uncles. Add the daughter and granddaughter of a/k/a Liz. They were happy to let the little guy sit with them for quite awhile last night. Adrienne may be his first girlfriend.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

1 member likes this post: aka Liz
7/23/12, 1:27 PM   #6
SDHill89

I was sitting behind a young kid and his grandpa (might have even been you) at Terre Haute. It was really neat and impressive to see the kid yelling out all the drivers names as they came on the track, and he was so excited to see the races. He had a hat on that Justin Grant and Darren Hagen had signed. They might not realize it but being friendly and signing an autograph for a kid like that can gain them a lifelong fan.

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, cmakin, dirtfan98, jim goerge, luckybuc97, speed bump
7/23/12, 3:20 PM   #7
HARFprez

Race Count This Year: 3

A simple gesture from a driver, a swipe of the pen to autograph a hat or shirt, a gift of a hot wheel or a free hat has a long lasting effect on a child (of any age). Last night, the generosity of the drivers coming to the front of the grandstands for autographs, can offer huge rewards in the future. A child grows up, and has a thousand different directions to go, many lose interest in racing, many gain the love for the sport that we all have, and a few strap on the helmet, you never know. So next time, even when you're getting your game face on, take a moment for that kid with the sharpie, you'll gain a fan for life. bob.

3 members like this post: babcock14d, speed bump, Stocko23
7/23/12, 3:34 PM   #8
peacedaddy101

Die hard Cory Kruseman fan here. Why? Because When I was 12 (10 years ago) he gave me a signed hat for my birthday. Always remember him for that. Even still have the hat even though it's not recognizable any more.

2 members like this post: Danny Burton, speed bump
7/23/12, 3:50 PM   #9
speed bump

A friend & myself took a Cory Kruseman drivers school this spring.
We are both in our 60`s and know we will never really race.
Cory & his helpers were the most friendly people I have ever been around.
And Cory was there with us all day,telling us how to drive the track .
He told us to stand on it and have a good time.....We sure did....
And we also got to go to his shop in Ventura..
We are from Indiana...

Cory Kruseman fan........

7/23/12, 4:50 PM   #10
Gee2

Great post.. brought a tear to my eye and a smile to my face... you will always remember your childhood memories, I won a Kendall Oil hat at Paragon when I was 9 years old and remember announcing my name over the PA system.

2 members like this post: Danny Burton, speed bump
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indiana Sprint Week thank yous