IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Brake Caliper Breaking Off?
7/9/12, 2:25 PM   #11
Re: Brake Caliper Breaking Off?
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10_Racing View Post
Thank you for the responses! We've had ti bolts there in the past but we broke a few sets of those and decided to just put regular steel bolts in. We have a bin full of Grade 8 bolts so it's my fault for grabbing a Grade 5. I'll take some of the suggestions mentioned above and let you guys know if we have some better luck.

Thanks,
Kyle Miller
Kyle,

If there's enough wall thickness on the caliper you might also increase to a 1/2"-13 bolt by drilling/tapping out the side bell. It looks, from the picture, like the caliper ears are "scarfed" out around the mount, though, which may not leave enough material to maintain the integrity of the mounts.

Tim Simmons

7/10/12, 9:13 AM   #12

I have never had this problem, but know others that have. Not sure what everyone else does, but I only torque those bolts to 45. I feel 65 is too much for that, especially in magnesium. I agree that a grade 5 bolt could be stretching. Anyway, there appears to be a pulled thread on the bottom bolt-that may be why the caliper is coming loose. Once you have threads starting to pull, it's a vicious cycle til they give out totally. The 65 lb-ft could also explain breaking Ti bolts, especially if they're the el cheapo Ti bolts that have the welded head.

I would helicoil the holes back to 7/16-14 on a mill or drill press so you know they aren't in at an angle, and mill the caliper bosses back to flat (this must be done). Then, use quality Ti bolts or grade 8 bolts that reach nearly full thread engagement. Torque to 45, and then safety wire. Also check to make sure your caliper ears are still true and flat when reusing an old caliper.
Last edited by 6565; 7/10/12 at 10:43 AM.

1 member likes this post: wideopen24
7/10/12, 11:28 AM   #13
TQ29m

I ran the same midget rear for probably 6-7 yrs, and did nothing to it, the pads were just being held in with a piece of maybe 1/8" welding wire, and everyone was tossing pads and calipers, then, mine started doing it, it got so bad, I started drilling the bolts, from the threaded end, so I could get an easy out in them easily, I tethered the caliper, the pads, it all returned to the pits with the car, but not something I looked forward to. Broke the mounts off the bell, milled em off flat, made spacers out of steel, drilled and tapped the holes deeper, if it could be done, I've probably tried it, then finally went to the mount I made, that used 4 of the side bell bolts, and that's been working for the past 5-6 years. I sometimes think the mount on the side bell, is too stiff, I didn't try it, but a rear I had before, just had a 1/4" piece of 6061 mounted to the caliper, and 2 bolts in the side bell, and it never even acted like it was unhappy, might give that a try, if you can't find the one that uses the side bell bolts, of which I have a picture, I could send it to you, and maybe you can see how it's made, and do one yourself, the sprint rear is easier, because of it's location on the bell. Bob!

7/11/12, 12:50 PM   #14
10_Racing

Another thing I found is that my bolts were possibly a bit short. I ran a bolt as far in as I could, marked it, and got a proper length. Hopefully will all of these suggestions I won't have any more problems! I'll try to post a picture when I get my new setup together.
Last edited by 10_Racing; 7/11/12 at 12:51 PM.

7/11/12, 4:52 PM   #15
TQ29m

I tried that also, to go to a longer bolt, I had to drill and tap a bit deeper, then pilot drill the beginning of the hole to let the shoulder of the bolt pilot in the hole, looked good, didn't help! Good luck! Bob!

7/16/12, 4:57 PM   #16
10_Racing

Well, we ended up buying a new Red Devil setup since we had run out of Calipers at the shop. It may be a bit excessive, but I think I'm just going to get in the habit of checking the bolts before the car goes out for every run. They seemed to take a slight snug every few times I checked them.

On a side note, those were the best brakes I've ever had in a sprint car. The difference was astonishing. Unfortunately our weekend was cut short by a blown motor during the ASCS National show Friday.

Thank you for the help everyone!

-Kyle Miller

7/16/12, 6:09 PM   #17
TQ29m

Sorry to hear about your motor, that's a big ouch! I tried the "I'll keep em tight" routine also, it worked til they broke off again, just off the front of the push truck, thing is, they usually never made it back with the car! Good Luck! Bob!

7/20/12, 9:30 AM   #18
wannaracebad

Never had this prob but I do use a wishbone that goes behind bolts then another one on out side witha pin threw them. Never had it come loose and I think is a pretty good setup

Posted via Mobile Device

8/29/12, 11:24 PM   #19
flyer

This is the best deal we have found. It still needs to be checked after every race, but gives a peace of mind that the bolts won't be backing out during a race. http://www.ebay.com/itm/200790458467...84.m1438.l2649

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Brake Caliper Breaking Off?