IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Explain the Television Mentality
6/22/12, 12:09 PM   #1
Explain the Television Mentality
captrat

First this not a knock on any other form of racing. While cruising around the dial came upon "Speed" showing micro-sprints from Belle-Claire and then stock cars from some place in Northeast racing around a flag pole. It bewilders me that networks complain about production costs, etc. for short track racing and yet we cannot get any exposure for ISW or other non-wing events. Program apparently produced by Lucas Oil. Thoughts?

6/22/12, 1:17 PM   #2
Re: Explain the Television Mentality
Jackslash.com

Lucas Oil is the title sponsor for the POWRI series.

Lucas Oil owns their own production company and television network.

It's a package deal.

When Lucas sponsors a series, more often than not, that series gets some "face time" on television. Be it Lucas Late Models, ASCS Sprint Cars, Chili Bowl, POWRI Midgets and Micros, Tractor Pulls, Demo Derby, Ect.

It was only a few short years ago that Lucas Oil was the title sponsor for the USAC Series.

Currently Lucas Oil offers a fantastic package. Point fund money, television on SPEED, Mav-TV, NBC Sports, in-house television production, corporate marketing partners such as Geico, E3 Spark Plugs, General Tire, and many others supporting most of the series mentioned above.

Lucas Oil is everywhere in motorsports as you know.

It seems that getting hooked up with a powerhouse like Lucas Oil is too easy and a no brainer. TV, Series point fund money, national attention, being a part of a huge racing family.

Forrest Lucas is from Indiana and enjoys sprint car racing.

I saw Shane Stewart take home a check for $50,000 in Tucson 3 years ago for the ASCS National Tour Championship.

$250,000 in prize money was awarded to the top finishers in the series at that 2009 banquet.

It was impressive.

Racers and Owners getting television exposure and collecting big checks.

As mentioned above, Lucas Oil was a part of the USAC Series only a few short years ago and now they are not. Only Forrest Lucas and USAC know the reason for their departure from the series.

6/22/12, 1:21 PM   #3
steve004

Those shows are made possible by simply sending a couple guys out and film. Bring back the tapes and have someone act like they were there commentating. It's easy and let's be honest, it's an advertisement for Lucas Oil.

Posted via Mobile Device

6/22/12, 2:05 PM   #4
raceway video

Its been awhile but the last time the Lucas Oil TV crew were at Perris they had a full blown production truck with a crew of a couple dozen and at least 7 cameras rolling. Hardly a couple of guys with camcorders.

6/22/12, 4:06 PM   #5
bgerster

It is amazing how easy and inexpensive things are when you don't have to do it or pay for it.

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, Jonr, koolaid89, Mud Packer, sprintfan74
6/22/12, 4:16 PM   #6
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Sign up for Jackslash and you'll see just as good or better product that what Speeds putting on TV.

6/22/12, 7:17 PM   #7
short track scott

Jackslash.com essentially nailed this topic shut with his all encompassing reply. The answers to many, MANY questions are overtly spelled out as well as the answers tightly packed between the lines.

I work for the Must See series. I can tell you TV is an incredible asset to us.

Posted via Mobile Device

6/22/12, 7:43 PM   #8
BeerCloud

i really dont get why non wing sprints aren't on speed instead of "some"......correction, "a lot" of garbage that they put on there now.
i thought i saw a show on there selling knives or something. I guess they figure if the knives can chop onions fast enough it counts as speed idk.
Sprint Cars and Midgets are exciting know matter how you slice it. Speed, ESPN or any other sports channel should capitalize on it and stick with it.

6/22/12, 8:14 PM   #9
Bad Dad 54

It's why I call it the SPUD Channel combination of SPEED & DUD

1 member likes this post: SteveD
6/24/12, 9:25 AM   #10
SteveD

410 OW racing would get more exposure on the side of a milk carton than they get now....look no further than the Dept of Agriculture. Rudderless, leaderless & clueless.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Explain the Television Mentality