IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Jim Imholte's Death
2/6/08, 12:07 AM   #1
Jim Imholte's Death
cecil98

To Our Indiana Openwheel Pal Jim Imholte

I know many of you outside of the Southwestern Ohio/Southeastern Indiana area may not know Jim Imholte but, he was a major part of racing history in this area. Jim passed away, suddenly, Tuesday night February 5, 2008 at his winter residence in Miami Beach. He worked as a flagman, scorer and pit steward at both Lawrenceburg and Florence Speedways throughout the 1960's, 70's and 80's. Jim also worked as a crewman for many racers originating in the Sayler Park and Cincinnati, OH area, including teams with Ross Smith, Pat Patrick, Big Bill Osborn, Tom Soudrette, Tommy Mattlin, Jim Bob Luebbert and many others over the years. During his time living in upstate New York, Jim also worked on a road racing team. Racing and being a great and dependable friend and father, was Jim's life. For the last three years, I have been flying down to Miami Beach to hang with Jim for a few days on the beach and then, we would drive up to Tampa (East Bay) together for a few days and enjoy the sprint car races. We had a great time together during those visits. However, due to the fact that the non-wing sprinters were canceled at East Bay and coupled with our problems this past year with two crashed race cars, I opted not to go down and visit Jim this year. I regret that now. Had things been normal, I would've been down there at the time of his death to at least be in his company and hold his hand as he passed. For those of you who knew Jim, you understand the loss to the racing community. Jim loved to work at the tracks. He loved to come down in the pits and mingle with the drivers, car owners and crew members. He had a kind word for everyone and was more than willing to pick up a wheel wrench and help out if he saw you thrashing on a race car. He just loved being around it. He loved all types of racing from pinewood derby to the sprinters to Indy cars to Nascar. If it had wheels on it and you could race it, he'd be there to either watch, or help out any way he could. He was simply a racer. When he wasn't in the pits, Jim could always be found about ten rows up from the flagstand at Lawrenceburg Speedway every Saturday night. He would get there early and tape down his blankets to save seats for our friends and families, so we could sit together and root for my son, Brad. Jim was Brad's biggest fan. On Fridays, Sundays and other nights, you could find Jim in the Stands with friends Keith Wendel and Tim Caldwell at many of the regions race tracks such as Gas City, Eldora, KC, Bloomington, Terre Haute, Kokomo and many others. Late Models, Sprinters, street stocks, whatever, Jim loved'em all! To those of you who didn't know Jim, I will simply ask you to say a prayer for his soul and his loving family, who will miss him enormously! May God Bless a prince of a gentleman and one of the TRUE race fans of this generation, JIM IMHOLTE. To know him is to love him. Jim's name on IOW was Imzie. I will truly miss you my friend!!!!!! Craig Stevens

2/6/08, 1:31 AM   #2
Re: Jim Imholte's Death
itsanonwingthing

Race Count This Year: 14
Race Count Last Year: 51

Craig, I can

2/6/08, 2:52 AM   #3
circusmonkey

Thank you, Cecil, for your kind words. And thank you, to all who remember "Imzie" fondly. My condolences to the Caldwell family as well. I was able to talk to dad Monday night about how he was looking forward to the upcoming season. Going to the "New" Burg and going to as many USAC shows he could make it to. Even though he won't be there in body, he'll be there in spirit. Words can't describe his passion for racing. But, many a racer and fan alike understand it. Again, thank you all for your thoughts and prayers, Dad will be missed............................................ ......................Imzie's youngest son, Ross

2/6/08, 8:16 AM   #4
cecil98

Ross, if I can do anything to make this easier for you and your family, just call me. I'm really struggling with the thought of your dad not being there in section E on opening night and every Saturday night thereafter at the NEW L'Burg. I already have an empty feeling in my stomach. It just won't be the same. Craig

2/6/08, 8:42 AM   #5
ShaneMugavin57

Thoughts and prayers with the Imholte family he will be missed.:checkered:

2/6/08, 9:07 AM   #6
fifthwheel

Terrible news. Racing has lost a huge supporter and a heck of a guy. Keep us posted on when services will be held.

2/6/08, 9:19 AM   #7
cecil98

I will post the arrangements as soon as I know, fifthwheel. Thanks.

2/6/08, 10:52 AM   #8
HotRodSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil98 View Post
I know many of you outside of the Southwestern Ohio/Southeastern Indiana area may not know Jim Imholte but, he was a major part of racing history in this area. Jim passed away, suddenly, last night at his winter residence in Miami Beach. He worked as a flagman, scorer and pit steward at both Lawrenceburg and Florence Speedways throughout the 1960's-80's. Jim also worked as a crewman for many racers originating in the Sayler Park (Cincinnati, OH) area, including teams with Ross Smith, Pat Patrick, Big Bill Osborn, Tom Soudrette, Tommy Mattlin, Jim Bob Luebbert and many others over the years. Jim also worked on a road racing team during his time living in upstate New York. Racing and being a great and dependable friend and father, was Jim's life. For the last three years, I would fly down to Miami Beach to hang with Jim for a few days on the beach and then, we would drive up to Tampa (East Bay) together and enjoy the sprinters. We had a great time together during those times. Due to the fact that the non-wing sprinters were cancalled at East Bay, coupled with our problems (tearing up two cars!) this past year, I opted not to go down and visit Jim this year. I regret that now. Had things been normal, I would've been down there at this moment to at least be in his company and hold his hand as he passed. For those of you who knew Jim, you understand the loss to the racing community. Jim loved to come down in the pits and mingle with the drivers, car owners and crew members. He had a kind word for everyone and was more than willing to pick up a wheel wrench and help out if he saw you thrashing on a race car. He just loved being around it. He loved all types of racing from pinewood derby to the sprinters to Indy cars to Nascar. If you could race it, he'd be there to watch or help. He was simply a racer. To those of you who didn't know Jim, I will simply ask you to say a prayer for his soul and his loving family, who will miss him enormously! When he wasn't in the pits, Jim could always be found about ten rows up from the flagstand at Lawrenceburg Speedway every Saturday night. On Fridays, Sundays and other nights, you could find Jim in the Stands of Gas City, Eldora, KC, Bloomington, Terre Haute, North Vernon, Kokomo and Tri-State Speedways. Late Models, Sprinters, whatever, Jim loved'em all! May God Bless one of the TRUE race fans of this generation, JIM IMHOLTE. To know him is to love him. Jim's name on IOW was Imzie. I will truely miss you my friend!!!!!! Craig Stevens
What a shock. Jim was good freind.Was looking forward to seeing him at the garage every week or at the race track. Jim and I worked for same Company, we talked a lot about that. R.I.P.IMZIE The family has my sympothy. Steve Day

2/6/08, 5:14 PM   #9
Dwight Clock

May Imzie RIP.:crying:

2/6/08, 6:00 PM   #10
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Thanks Cecil, Ross and Keith for the info. I knew him for a much shorter time than you guys and I can say my life is richer because of it.

R.I.P Guys. You will be missed.
Chuck

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Jim Imholte's Death