IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Turkey Night?
2/11/12, 9:30 PM   #11
Re: Turkey Night Movin' Again to??........
Scott Daloisio

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSprinter View Post
possibly back on Dirt!!...would like to see it at da "Pas"!!...but thinkin' of past differences between the Two familys(we know) involved,prob won't be happenin' at their 1/2mi. (R'side)facility??...JMG!!....speaking bout Midgets!!..heard there was a Mystery Guest (Midgets)lookin' for me cross the Desert today out at the Ole' Goodwin family place!!...sorry ta have missed a chance,"Coxie" at some good ole' bench Racin'!!....

Those past differences between the families are just that - past differences. They get along well now. If it ever were to be moved, we would love to host it.

2 members like this post: AustinSprinter, gkaz
2/11/12, 9:34 PM   #12
Re: Turkey Night Movin' Again to??........
Midget 89

Looks like the speedway may have shut down their website.

2/11/12, 9:37 PM   #13
Re: Turkey Night?
Eric C

Quote:
Originally Posted by az02 View Post
Any dirt track would be awesome at this point let a real racer win it for a change

Posted via Mobile Device
Wow, So I guess that long list of Racers that have won this prestigious Pavement Race are Not "Real Racers"

Eric Cottongim

2 members like this post: I Miss Manzy, Seadog
2/11/12, 10:04 PM   #14
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by az02 View Post
Any dirt track would be awesome at this point let a real racer win it for a change

Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, you're right. What a list of wanna-be's:

1999 Jason Leffler
2000 Tony Stewart
2001 Dave Steele
2002 Michael Lewis
2003 Dave Steele
2004 Bobby East
2005 Jason Leffler
2006 Billy Wease
2007 Dave Darland
2008 Bobby Santos III
2009 Bryan Clauson
2010 Bryan Clauson
2011 Caleb Armstrong

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 2/11/12 at 10:07 PM.

2/11/12, 10:17 PM   #15
actracing

very solid list, but in Armstrong's case, yes he drove the car & won, but they have the best of everything with a hired crew chief. 90% of the drivers out there can win on pavement in this situation. Put him on dirt - how many races did he or his brother win then??

For all you friends & cronies of "rich" kids, tell me Armstrong's brother is better than Bryan Clausen. How did he get the ride in the truck series instead of Clausen??

Unfortunately money means alot more than talent does, but dirt levels the playing field for talent.

2 members like this post: AustinSprinter, Xflagman
2/11/12, 10:33 PM   #16
aXe

Go down this page to Jan 4 for what I found out about Irwindale closing.
aXe

http://www.openwheelracers3.com/News___Stories.html
Last edited by aXe; 2/11/12 at 10:35 PM.

2 members like this post: AustinSprinter, dirtnonwingfan
2/11/12, 10:36 PM   #17
Jerry Shaw

Sure, Kevin Besecker is a great crew chief. He gets the best out of the young drivers he mentors. But, Kevin doesn't have to deal with Bryan Clauson once the green flag is dropped. Caleb earned that victory with his driving ability. And he very nearly did so last year, as well. You couldn't pay BC enough money to let you drive by him. Winning means everything to him. Money is nice. It gets you enough horsepower and technical advice to stay with guys like BC, Larson, Hagen, Hines, East, Santos. But, they have great equipment and teams to support them, too. It takes talent to take the next step and beat them, though.

The notion that you can just "buy" a big race like Turkey Night is just silly.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 2/11/12 at 10:39 PM.

2/12/12, 12:06 AM   #18
racephoto1

Jerry I agree wholeheartedly. If money was the deciding factor versus ability, then we should be able to strap actracing in the same car, and he should win.

The so called rich boys money doesn't mean crap if you can't drive, and a lot of rich boys have proven that. I'll give Caleb credit, and I've watched him drive for seven years, DIRT and pavement, he has the ability.

As for Kevin Besecker, I'd call him the "unfair advantage", to borrow a term from Donehue. I don't know how Kevin does it, but he gets the best out of anyone who drives for the teams he works for. The kids just shine.

4 members like this post: AustinSprinter, dirtnonwingfan, I Miss Manzy, LRP36
2/12/12, 12:12 AM   #19
James Ferns

Quote:
Originally Posted by actracing View Post
very solid list, but in Armstrong's case, yes he drove the car & won, but they have the best of everything with a hired crew chief. 90% of the drivers out there can win on pavement in this situation. Put him on dirt - how many races did he or his brother win then??

For all you friends & cronies of "rich" kids, tell me Armstrong's brother is better than Bryan Clausen. How did he get the ride in the truck series instead of Clausen??

Unfortunately money means alot more than talent does, but dirt levels the playing field for talent.
When you find dollar bills that can steer the car and mash the peddle let me know i would like to get some myself!!!Also if i was you i would be embarrassed to get on this web board and cry poor mouth why don't you just roll up your sleeves and go to work !!! it's a free world who's stopping you from making the money

5 members like this post: dirtmom, dirtnonwingfan, duel, leviroberts, LRP36
2/12/12, 1:54 AM   #20
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by racephoto1 View Post
J
As for Kevin Besecker, I'd call him the "unfair advantage", to borrow a term from Donehue. I don't know how Kevin does it, but he gets the best out of anyone who drives for the teams he works for. The kids just shine.
As you know, Chris, he had a pretty darn good mentor, himself. He's off to a great start at becoming the Gene Besecker of his generation. You can just tell he's really found his calling.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Turkey Night?