IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mini Indy Speedway Announces Scholarship Program
2/5/12, 2:41 PM   #1
Mini Indy Speedway Announces Scholarship Program
TQ97

MINI INDY SPEEDWAY ANNOUNCES NEW SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM

February 5, 2012 – Indianapolis, IN

Mini Indy Speedway has announced a new scholarship program that will allow families an opportunity to run a full year of quarter midget racing at the high banked concrete track located at the Indiana State Fairgrounds.

“We are excited to announce that in 2012, we will be able to provide four children between the ages of 5 and 16, the opportunity to race with our new scholarship program in the rookie division of USAC’s .25 series” said Joe Miller, Mini Indy President.

The program is designed for families to try out quarter midget racing without incurring the full costs of starting out and the worry of a child changing their mind about wanting to race. While safety apparel and entry fees will need to be paid for by the family, they will receive a full race ready quarter midget car and engine from Mini Indy to compete in for the 2012 season.

Mini Indy Vice President and Rookie Director, A.J. Nigh says “This is a tremendous opportunity both for our club and for these families. By taking the initial purchase cost of a car out of the equation, we are allowing more families a chance to be involved in this great sport which in turn will grow our membership as well. We believe that after being involved in the scholarship program, that a good number of families will end up purchasing cars and continue racing at Mini Indy.”

“So that we can accommodate both younger and older kids and various size drivers, we have 4 newer cars of different sizes ready to go. We need some racers now to jump in these cars, have fun, and become involved in quarter midget racing” continued Miller.

Those with no racing or mechanical experience should not be intimidated to apply says Nigh, “Each scholarship recipient will be given a mentor family to help learn the ropes of what Mini Indy and quarter midget racing is all about. We want to nurture our rookies and their families so that in the future they are the veterans.”

Scholarship recipients will be chosen by an application and interview process between now and the club’s first race, April 28th. The application, race schedule, and more info about Mini Indy can be found at www.mini-indy.org

1 member likes this post: Jrp4554
2/5/12, 3:23 PM   #2
Re: Mini Indy Speedway Announces Scholarship Progr
Phylo82

Not difficult to understand why they are doing this. QM car counts have been struggling with the poor economy and the USAC/QMA feud. I'm sure Mini Indy is probably going to lose some membership with their board basically stealing the track for USAC.

QMA doesn't help matters either with their silly ******** and ridiculous rules.

Once again a perfect example of adults ruining a good thing.....

2/5/12, 3:30 PM   #3
Tim Clauson

Who do I need to contact to inquire about helping out as a sponsor of this program?

Thanks !
Tim Clauson

1 member likes this post: STP
2/5/12, 3:37 PM   #4
Phylo82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Clauson View Post
Who do I need to contact to inquire about helping out as a sponsor of this program?

Thanks !
Tim Clauson

President Joe Miller JoeLee2@comcast.net
Vice President A.J. Nigh tqracer97@yahoo.com

2/5/12, 3:59 PM   #5
TQ97

Thanks for the negative spin, of which you don't have the full story, on a positive development. Actually our 2012 membership numbers have already surpassed 2011 and car counts at USAC .25 events continue to grow. We expect a great car count for the Battle at the Brickyard at Mini Indy this year.

We copied this from a successful program that Terre Haute has utilized for some time and been successful at growing their club.

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by TQ97; 2/5/12 at 4:02 PM.

2/5/12, 4:46 PM   #6
Phylo82

It's not negative spin....it's the truth. You found a loop-hole to take the track away from QMA by having the board vote because you knew a membership vote wouldn't pass it. That vote had already been attempted twice in the past three years. Well played. I hope it works out for you because it's a great facility and an awesome track.

I was no fan of QMA.....they did a lot of things horribly wrong. One thing on the positive side is they pretty much exist for QM racing. My concern with USAC and .25 was, in my opinion, the moment .25 isn't making them money or starts costing them money they'll bail. Time will tell I guess.

Glad to hear that membership is up. My advice to anyone that is running the place, do away with lifetime memberships and multiple votes per driver (one driver-one vote)......that will get rid of your 'cling-ons' that haven't had a driver there in years yet still get to vote on everything.

2/5/12, 5:16 PM   #7
sprintcar39

WOW.... the Mini Indy club and BOD does a good thing for the less fortunate kids as well as what was in the best interest of the KIDS and that idiot turns it into a political battle.

If he had all the facts I bet he would change his opinion.

Hats off to all the Mini Indy BOD and members for all the good you do.

Joe, AJ and the rest of the club will have my support.

Eric Rankine

2/5/12, 5:35 PM   #8
Phylo82

It's easy to call someone an idiot when your sitting on the other side of computer screen.....because I'm sure you wouldn't say it to my face.

Further proof in my mind that we got out of quarter midgets at the right time.....but then again, I wasn't getting my palms greased by USAC like some of the Mini-Indy leadership when we left.

But it's all about the kids, right. <laughter>

Phil Heil
North Bend, Ohio

Feel free to look me up if you want to insult me in person!
Last edited by Phylo82; 2/5/12 at 5:44 PM.

2/5/12, 11:39 PM   #9
Eric C

As a past president of the Mini Indy club and one that was very out spoken of the way the club was changed over to USAC, I believe it is time to put all the bitter feelings aside and look towards the future of the club and I believe this new scholorship program is a step in the right direction and one that to my knowledge Is a First in the sport.

Hats off to the Club for a great idea to promote the sport

Eric Cottongim

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mini Indy Speedway Announces Scholarship Program