IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > quarter midgets near fort wayne?
12/31/11, 2:40 PM   #1
quarter midgets near fort wayne?
jpa317

I didn't notice many quarter midget entries from the FortWaye area. Are there any QM clubs in NE IN or NW OH?

12/31/11, 4:21 PM   #2
Re: quarter midgets near fort wayne?
ROSS

Race Count Last Year: 53

Far as I know the 2 closest are Napoleon Ohio and Kokomo Indiana. Both around 1.5 hours away. Unfortunately quarter midgets are in a split right now. In order to race you had to Join USAC if not already a member ( $150.00) Pit Pass for family members ($50 each) and entry fee ($20). I really wanted to take my son and race but for $320.00 couldn't justify it. So I suspect many Fort Wayne drivers run out of Napoleon Ohio track which is QMA and not Usac. So they may be in the same boat as us. Would think Fort Wayne would be a great place to put a track for the kids.

2 members like this post: mod4s, PIT CART
12/31/11, 5:43 PM   #3
nonwing77

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by nonwing77; 12/31/11 at 5:50 PM.

12/31/11, 8:43 PM   #4
loosewheel

First of all I think u are a little high on the USAC fees and membership, second we run QM under USAC and live in the Warsaw area. We spend about 16 hours a week (roughly) in the garage and at the track together as a family. I can not put a price on what this worth to us. We have also made friends with alot of people from all over the country doing something that we all love. Are driver is learning alot of life lessons along the way. Like winning at Rumble on Friday and losing on Saturday. Our suggest to anyone thinking about joining the sport is go to a track and check it out. As far as I know it is alway free to.watch and the pits are always open to anyone.

Scott and Kelly McCune
McCune Motorsports driver
Bud McCune
Anyone one can PM with any questions

Posted via Mobile Device

12/31/11, 11:23 PM   #5
jpa317

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosewheel View Post
Our suggest to anyone thinking about joining the sport is go to a track and check it out. As far as I know it is alway free to.watch and the pits are always open to anyone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you run Kokomo and the .25 tour?

1/1/12, 12:00 PM   #6
TQ97

Unless something changed this year from previous years the rumble is an outlaw quarter midget race and no usac membership was required. I do believe they go by usac rules however with the exception of no tire rule.

To the original poster, the clubs in the area other than Kokomo are in Indy, Lansing, Kalamazoo, Toledo, and West Liberty Ohio.

Posted via Mobile Device

1/1/12, 12:14 PM   #7
loosewheel

We not run for club points at any track for 2 years. We mainly travel running the MW thunder series and USAC Gen next tour (TN,WI,IN,OH) but still ran 40 races last summer. Any of the QM tracks in the area are all good places to race. You can find a list of tracks in the area at midwest thunder.org or the USAC site.

Posted via Mobile Device

1/1/12, 12:43 PM   #8
Melmo

The Ft. Wayne Rumble is an outlaw show and you don't have to be a USAC or QMA member to run. Yes it cost more to run the Rumble and have to pay for pitpass at the Rumble because of the big cars being there and its all insurance purposes only. Its a once a year deal when you can race and pit with the big boys. The best part is when you have several of the big boys walking through your pits or like Dave Darland pitted in your pits and talking to your kids. The best part is that your kids through out the night can go up and talk to the midget drivers and never get turned away its great. As for me the best part is when your walking through the midget pits all the drivers and crew members make you feel welcome and one time I was talking to Mel and next thing I know he hands me some tools and put me to work on his midget. As for Tony Stewart my driver was talking to him several years ago and loving every bit of it and then later on that night Tony wins and was walking off the track picks Starla up and goes sets down with her and signs his trophy and gives it to her. So all and all was it worth the extra money to race "YES" did my kid love it yes and ready to go every year. Also it not all about the midgets your there talking to and watching several different kinds of racing such as the 600 mini sprints, Cage kart along with the karts.

Now if your wanting to know about where the tracks are for the quarter midgets here's a website that will tell you everything from the cost and what you need to go racing.

http://www.usacracing.com/quarter_midgets.html USAC

http://www.quartermidgets.org/index2.asp QMA

Good Luck wishing you well weather you go USAC or QMA But one at the Rumble it don't matter if your USAC or QMA were all family and we get along with everyone if you have any question PM ME and well talk
Last edited by Melmo; 1/1/12 at 1:32 PM.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Tony Barhorst
1/1/12, 5:13 PM   #9
BobKoorsen

We have a 1/10th mile paved oval and a 1/8th mile dirt oval at Baer Field in Fort Wayne and would LOVE at add quarters to our weekly, Friday night or special event dirt kart shows.

If interested in making that happen, email us at the Baer Field office: tomisch@baerfieldspeedway.net.

1 member likes this post: loosewheel
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > quarter midgets near fort wayne?