IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > More Midget Races Cancelled
9/14/11, 3:50 PM   #171
Re: More Midget Races Cancelled
Roy Bleckert

Here you go

Bill Vukovich driver , Fred Gerhardt car builder , Drake/Harley engine

http://ewarbirds.org/automotive/1937midget.html

I find this quote very interesting

" It is our understanding that this car, with Bill Vukovich at the wheel, and with the help of his mechanic brother Mike, won the equivalent of approximately $900,000 in 2009 prize money dollar value. "

9/14/11, 4:44 PM   #172
DAD

The thing I remember most about midget racing when I was a kid is that smell that covered the race track, usually produced by the outboards but Offy's as well of the castor in the exhaust kind of like being in a giant popcorn popper. Most people have never smelled this smell and it truly is a shame, back then it was a melting pot and you could show up with a one of a kind "Special" and maybe win a race. There were a few high rollers back then and there always will be but the little guy could still race and do well.

1 member likes this post: PAW
9/14/11, 5:16 PM   #173
TQ29m

As a teenager, I worked in a Ford Dealership, right across the street from King's Taxi, and Justin had 2, of the most beautiful midgets you could imagine, one was an Offy, and one was a V8-60 Ford, and if you'll google Justin King, you'll understand the amount of money it took, even in those days, to have a car that you could call any "High ranking" driver, and have him drive your car. I think SprintmanDave told me he dated Justin's daughter, and is still friends with her, that was back in about 1953. I really think if some motor guys put their heads together, a method can be put together, to get a "medium buck" series together, and get the midgets back at some of the larger Fairgrounds tracks, as well as some of the 1/4 mile-3/8 mile tracks, and get them local, to keep the costs down even more. I also think part of the key, will be to pay well, but not go overboard, and pay better, deeper in the field, and, I don't feel like you need 25-40 cars, to make a good field, getting the people in the stands will help a lot, and the more people that come with a car, and pay a pit pass, won't hurt anything either. It just remains to be seen, whether or not an engine can be built, for less than you can buy one, or at least get the cars first, then let the owners decide what they want to do. Bob!

9/15/11, 11:42 AM   #174
are39

While we're thinking 'out of the box,' has anyone considered using......a diesel? Since you could run the thing off vegetable or equivalent oil and you wouldn't need as much on board, might as well save on fuel cost as well!

Chad Atkinson

9/15/11, 12:21 PM   #175
DAD

We could get Willie Nelson to sponsor it. The new diesels arent like the old ones they will haul ass. Audi did a number in sports car racing a few years ago with one. Who makes one about the right size for a midget?
Last edited by DAD; 9/15/11 at 12:34 PM.

9/15/11, 1:48 PM   #176
gearguy

We have had the following engines compete in the Illini Racing Series THIS YEAR: All but the "National motors" and the Honda have won features:
1. Scream Ford Focus
2. Home built Focus with aftermarket cams
3. Eco Tec Chevy [2.2 liter DOHC] with mechanical single port injector
4. AutoCraft VW with restrictors in intake
5. RaceTec Quad 4
6. 2000cc home built Honda DOHC 4 cylinder
7. SESCO 2x4 with restrictors
8. Gaerte with restrictors
9. Fontana with restrictors

The future is now people. I'm in my late 50s and spent 30 years away from racing raising my family. I wanted to race now and the IRS formula works for me. My tire bill is less than $600 a SEASON. We have races on pavement and dirt within 2 hours of my house. A ten year old chassis is competitive. There is no reason there couldn't be a series in your area with the same rules.

Chuck Schultz
Winfield, Illinois
#6 Buzzard-Focus
#6s Ellis-Honda

9/15/11, 2:17 PM   #177
are39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
We could get Willie Nelson to sponsor it. The new diesels arent like the old ones they will haul ass. Audi did a number in sports car racing a few years ago with one. Who makes one about the right size for a midget?
Exactly, both Audi and Peugeot are still using the diesel in their endurance cars. I'd think the one in the VW Jetta would probably work, 1.9L-Turbo. There are probably others out there too.

Chad Atkinson

9/15/11, 2:42 PM   #178
Tony Barhorst

We counted 19 different engine chassis combinations at the Rumble In Fort Wayne Indoor Midget races at the Memorial Coliseum Expo Center a couple of years ago.

Here is the entry, payout, and rules information for this years event on Friday, December 30, and Saturday, December 31.

http://www.rumbleseries.com/entriesftwayne.php

9/15/11, 3:00 PM   #179
DAD

Would you let mini sprints run with midgets? We wouldn't get in the way.
DAD

9/15/11, 4:09 PM   #180
Tony Barhorst

Dad...we want to keep the division separate. We usually have 40 midgets as it is. I think it's better for everyone to keep it that way.

I am however very interested in this thread as food for thought on other events.

Thanks,
Tony Barhorst
www.rumbleseries.com

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > More Midget Races Cancelled