IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Journey: Jersey to Indy
8/27/11, 12:07 AM   #1
The Journey: Jersey to Indy
johnreuterracing

Hello,

First off. I am not sure if I posted this in the right place, if I did, awesome! If not, I apologize.

Let me introduce myself, my name is John Reuter. I am from Hamilton, New Jersey. I am 18 years old and I am new to posting on here, but I have been a viewer. I would like to introduce to everyone a dream I have.

I race 250/270 micro sprints back east in New Jersey, Delaware, and Pennsylvania. I have been a race fan my whole life, but this is only my second season of competing. I also have a prior year of experience working on a winged 360 sprint car.

I fell in love with non winged racing thanks to the first USAC Eastern Storm, and also thanks to when USAC would come compete on the pavement at Nazareth, PA with the Indycars. Let me cut to the chase.

I am 18 and going into my senior year in high school, I plan on sticking around back east to complete college and gain more seat time racing a different variety of cars, but after I get my college degree, I plan on packing up, and relocating to the Indianapolis area. I want to drive non winged sprint cars and midgets professionally. I have a burning desire to accomplish this dream of mine. I don't have much financial backing, so I plan on working for that and hopefully getting a few lucky breaks while paying my dues. It has been a dream of mine to give up all I have, relocate, work my way up, and eventually land in a prestigious seat such as the Hoffman or Kunz rides.

In case this dream doesn't come true, I plan on using my college degree to get me a job somewhere in Indiana in the racing industry.

I know everybody is probably thinking I am crazy, or wondering if I am on drugs. I just wanted to share my story. I hope you all follow me, and hopefully in about five or so years, you will see me competing on the Indiana dirt.

Thanks for your time,

John Reuter
johnreuterracing@aim.com

8/27/11, 7:09 AM   #2
Re: The Journey: Jersey to Indy
Bill Gardner
Administrator

Good luck chasing your dream.

8/27/11, 8:46 AM   #3
Dalton Dietrich

Race Count This Year: 55

John, it's me from fb. I posted an almost identical thread a few months back...everybody on this site was extremely helpful in trying to teach what I needed to know...

8/27/11, 11:07 AM   #4
PJ Wright

There's nothing at all crazy about your post. You've got a really cool dream backed up by a solid plan "B". Don't be afraid to chase after it with everything you've got, but also don't be afraid to adjust your plan as your circumstances, interests, ect. change.
Based on your post you seem like an intelligent and ambitious young man. i wish you the best.

8/27/11, 2:43 PM   #5
johnreuterracing

I remember you Dalton.

Also, thanks everyone for your feedback and encouraging words. I think on some other message boards, I would have been picked on for even dreaming of something like this. Hopefully this works out, and I can do what I have to do to make this successful.

8/27/11, 4:23 PM   #6
nitrofunny

I hope it all works out for you dude. I promise you will love it here. I live in brownsburg, grew up in plainfield. Both suburbs of indianapolis. Its pretty easy to see just about any kind of racing you can think of. Plus indiana is full of super people. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

8/27/11, 5:45 PM   #7
johnreuterracing

Thanks. Ah Plainfield, reminds me of a racer who is something I would desire to be...Bill Rose. Can compete with and without a wing. I came out for Indiana Sprint Week 2010, and it amazed me at the whole racing industry. Not just the Speedway and Gasoline Alley, as well as USAC and Indycar offices, but also the big industrial park off Crawfordsville Road. That place was amazing to me, with NHRA teams, some USAC teams, as well as Impact racing. I remember stopping by Scooter Ellis place and getting to meet him and Mike Spencer while they were prepping Spencer's ride. Awesome people! I want to follow the corn!

1 member likes this post: SPRINTCAR
8/28/11, 6:12 PM   #8
johnreuterracing

Anyone else have any advice or feedback? I will listen to all advice, especially from fans/drivers/owners thay are more familiar with the area than I am
Posted via Mobile Device

8/29/11, 4:23 AM   #9
cecil98

plan B is the important thing. My best friend (while growing up) had a dream of being a rock star. He was a bright kid and was convinced he was going to make it in the music world thus, he dropped everything and went for it. However, he had no plan B. Well, you can guess where this is going. He didn't make it past the Holiday Inn circuit and now, at 58 years old, he has nothing to show for it. He bounces around to various cities staying with friends he has met over the years until he wears out his welcome and then he comes home to Mom and Dad's and lives in their basement and works an $8 an hour job at the hardware store until he gets wrestless and heads out of town again. He's never had a decent job other than the "show band" he played in at the Holiday Inns. That didn't last too long and when it dried up, he had no back up skills with which to make a decent living. His life is nothing but a fantasy and a sham. Don't be that GUY!!! Work hard on your back up plan!!! I had the same dream you had. All I wanted to do was drive sprint cars and race in the 500. I did realize my dream of driving sprint cars. I had an unspectacular career of roughly 10 years (with a few bright spots here and there) but, I had the time of my life doing it!! In the meantime, I had gotten my degree, got a solid job, along with starting a small business and I have made a fairly comfortable lifestyle for my family. Now my son and I have a sprint car and we have a lot of fun together racing. He'll never be a professional racer either, but he developed marketable skills along the way and has a great job that will support his family and racing habit.......Go for your dream!! But don't be foolish and simply gamble everything that it will happen they way you want it to. It's a long shot at best. Work very hard and do what you love to do......GOOD LUCK!!
Last edited by cecil98; 8/29/11 at 8:45 PM.

5 members like this post: CarlMcIntyre, Danny Burton, davidm, PJ Wright, VSneader2
8/29/11, 9:35 AM   #10
johnreuterracing

Thanks Cecil. Yes the Plan B is important to me, and I feel that if I can give myself something to fall back on, the racing industry in Indy is good enough I can find a job that is right for me.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Journey: Jersey to Indy