IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Attention "Iceman" Fans...
8/12/11, 10:53 AM   #31
Re: Attention "Iceman" Fans...
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCGR View Post
We appreciate your point very much. That is the beauty of this site; everyone can express their opinions without bias. You might be right on with some of your comments but others may feel differently. I'm not sure what your measure of success is in this sport since it is filled with so many highs and lows but again, your entitled to your opinion and we appreciate it. We're thrilled with Coleman's progress this year; 3 wins to date, multiple podiums and a track record on the tour but for some that may not be enough. All of this while he was still 17. However that might just be the Dad in me looking through rose colored glasses. Again, we appreciate your opinion and I am pretty sure Coleman will be at Terre Haute. Have a good weekend.

Pete G.
Thanks Pete for showing real class. I doubt that I could have done that.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

8/12/11, 12:08 PM   #32
illinisprintfan

Quote:
We appreciate your point very much. That is the beauty of this site; everyone can express their opinions without bias. You might be right on with some of your comments but others may feel differently. I'm not sure what your measure of success is in this sport since it is filled with so many highs and lows but again, your entitled to your opinion and we appreciate it. We're thrilled with Coleman's progress this year; 3 wins to date, multiple podiums and a track record on the tour but for some that may not be enough. All of this while he was still 17. However that might just be the Dad in me looking through rose colored glasses. Again, we appreciate your opinion and I am pretty sure Coleman will be at Terre Haute. Have a good weekend.

Pete G.
That is the very definition of taking the high road.

6 members like this post: Al Pierce, cowboyhar69, jim goerge, mowerman, TeamCGR, The Riz
8/12/11, 12:32 PM   #33
Sickfan

Well I don't mind not taking the high road with a comment like that (throwback). I guess Coleman just didn't do well finishing 7th huh? I mean Stanbrough and Levi should just run weekly stuff and stop running USAC considering they finished 13th and 14th; wait, aren't they up pretty high in points? Geez, Coleman must be pretty tore up about finishing in front of Tracy Hines who has been racing for what, 30 years? Shucks, I guess I agree with you then; come on Coleman, back to Indiana you go. Throwback, your post is up there with some of the worst I have seen on this board. I hope you eat a lot of Coleman's dust next time you're at THAT. Peace

4 members like this post: cowboyhar69, jim goerge, mowerman, TeamCGR
8/12/11, 8:17 PM   #34
i love dirt track racing

Quote:
As I stated in my first sentence from the original post; this is not about USAC or the series. They don't control the track prep and most of the time if they try, they get told to "beat it". I have seen it myself. So if someone wants to tear into USAC, use another post please.

As far as not supporting USAC, we've competed in every show except 1, including Sprint week and the entire Eastern Storm series and those 2 weeks are no cheap date, I can assure you. If they don't have a show at one of those Central U.S. tracks next year, it will not be because of the drivers. They field the best in the business. If they can't pay the purses, it won't be the drivers fault, it may be the lack of fan support in that area. Did you see the grandstands at Knoxville? From the camera angle all of us got, it was pretty empty. But, throw a wing on them and it is a packed house. So, if fans support is low, it must not be that important so, I believe, the track prep suffers. The track at Oskaloosa wasn't touched all day after a full night of Wing Racing. We raced Wing Cars in the ASCS Nationals and with the PA Posse guys so we know all about Wing Racing. It can be exciting but our opinion is Non Wing racing is still a better ticket. Obviously not everyone feels that way in the Midwest and Plain States.

If this is going to made Political, then blame me. The Team came to me with this thought and I agreed. When Coleman could not see anything in front of him in Hot Laps that is a big problem to us. We are not interested in running over each other, possibly hurting someone or worse if the track is not prepared. Then, the track ate tires like an asphalt race and the passing in the feature was at a premium. That will also drive away fans. Obviously some guys made it work but for most it was tough. It is a vicious cycle for sure.

So, our decision to come back where Non Wing Sprinters are supported like they should be and the track promoters put the best effort into getting the track ready for a great show was a logical decision for us.

This is not a USAC bashing post, just a post to alert Coleman's fans that we are back in Indiana this weekend where the Beer is Cold, the Tracks are Fast and the Fans know where to see the best Sprint Car Racing in the Country. If that's political or unpopular then so be it.

Pete G..
i love you man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
Ok. My turn to set the record straight. Yes they didn't do near enough work on track prep at Osky but it was also sunny and 30-40mph. wind gusts all day. That will make any track dusty. It was no worse than THAT sprint week which was also sunny and windy. I'm sorry but in those conditions there's not much you can do. This was the first time in the 10 year history of the race that there was dust so lets just give them another chance. It was tacky monday for the wings because it rained like hell sunday night. The winged fans I heard in the stands know the non-wing cars put on a better show when there's something to get ahold of and I assure you it'll be better next year. The racing there is better when it isn't too tacky like last year. McCarl gives each race equal billing and pays more for the non-wing race. The crowd at Knoxville was very good. I believe the front stretch grandstand holds over 20,000 people so a crowd of 7,000 may not look very big from the pits Mr.Gulick. I garuntee they made money that night only paying the standard USAC purse. In contrast they admittedly loose money every week on their weekly winged shows. The real reason the Iceman is headed back to Indiana is the lack of success he's had all year long and it's probably a good idea for him to get some more experience with different set-ups before trying to run USAC full time. Don't blame it on the race tracks that gave you a good track to run on Sunday and the highest single day purse of the year Tuesday. Have fun sharing the bill with 3 or 4 classes of fender bender's in Indiana! Hope to see you at Terre Haute though.
wow!!!!!!!! you have to be kidding me. you can say someting like that about a team that comes out of new york..... and brings a 16 year kid to live his dream of being a sprint car driver. i hope that you go back and read what you just said about a team that is one of the best team and family run sprint car teams. and we all wonder why we can not make this sport work. i will be there at terre haute and have the iceman t shirt on and will be prould to say that iam a fan of a team that puts alot of effort to make this thing called dirt track racing go around and around in all the great tracks here in the racing capitol of the world. indiana his second home. away from family and friends all summer long and he just graduated. i just wish the best for all of the teams that try to make this sport in the tough times that we face every day. go #14 and team cgr. thanks colman and team cgr for all that you do for dirt track racing

1 member likes this post: TeamCGR
8/12/11, 9:52 PM   #35
oldfan49

I understand your decision but I sure was looking forward to seeing you at Grain Valley.
I think you would have found a different attitude at Grain Valley. This one track has gone up head to head with the winged tracks. But it has been slowly growing. Even with small crowds and marginal fields he has stuck with non wing racing weekly and has put a lot on this race including added money. And the local fan boards are a huge buzz about it as well
http://www.racinboys.com/forum/index.php?t=index&cat=6&

but again I understand your decision and wish you all the best of luck back in Indiana. Maybe in the future we will get the chance to see you out this way again.

1 member likes this post: TeamCGR
8/13/11, 12:45 PM   #36
SPRINTCAR

I think you guys made the wrong decision. But it was yours to make. Good Luck.

8/13/11, 1:29 PM   #37
pletchfan

I think team CGR will be successful wherever they choose to go. Coleman is an exceptional talent and this is a name you WILL be hearing for years to come. All of you on here that are saying negative things about this young man need to button up!!!

2 members like this post: Dirtfan, mowerman
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Attention "Iceman" Fans...