IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hoosier DT3 Tire Rule Killing Local Racers
7/21/11, 2:19 PM   #41
Re: Hoosier DT3 Tire Rule Killing Local Racer
R A K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
The DT3 isn't the problem. It's the fact that nobody really knows how to police it on the local levels. I've had my RR durometer checked at USAC shows, but the weekly shows don't do it. If you make a tire rule then you need to be able to prove to the racers that it can be enforced. I've spoken to promoters about this to no avail.

The BOSS series has a good thing going with having to run the same RR in the heat and feature. It might be a good option for other tracks as well.

I was told by a Hoosier employee that the DT3 is good for one heat cycle. After that you have to do some prep to regain some bite. They do tend to glaze over after a run and you need to keep the tire up to temp. That's why you see some guys breaking the tires loose during caution laps and grinding on them in the pits.

The DT3 tire isn't "killing" anyone. You just need to be a little smarter to get all the life out of it.
Good post, Jason.
My question ... does a fresh (brand new) DT3 of today durameter the same as a fresh DT3 of say a few years ago? ... or have they "changed" ...

1 member likes this post: SPRINTCAR
7/21/11, 2:26 PM   #42
burris7555

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
I promise everyone could save more money and have a tire that would last forever with an American Racer MC2 or MC3.
Posted via Mobile Device
It says on your website that one of your sponsors is American Racer.

Kinda hard to have an unbiased opinion there...
Last edited by burris7555; 7/21/11 at 2:29 PM.

5 members like this post: Dannypollock24, Dirtfan, hairracer44, jim goerge, Joe Whisler
7/21/11, 2:41 PM   #43
Cincinnati Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by R A K View Post
Good post, Jason.
My question ... does a fresh (brand new) DT3 of today durameter the same as a fresh DT3 of say a few years ago? ... or have they "changed" ...
They do harden up as time goes by. Just like the tires on any street car that's been parked for an extended period of time. You have to pick a supplier that can give you "fresh" tires. The longer they sit in a warehouse the harder they will get.

I'm no chemist, but I think it has something to do with the oils in the rubber evaporating over time.

7/21/11, 3:52 PM   #44
R A K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
They do harden up as time goes by. Just like the tires on any street car that's been parked for an extended period of time. You have to pick a supplier that can give you "fresh" tires. The longer they sit in a warehouse the harder they will get.

I'm no chemist, but I think it has something to do with the oils in the rubber evaporating over time.
Good point. I was more specifically asking if maybe they have actually changed the compound of the tire during the manufacturing process. We used to be able to run a DT3 for several races without as much wear ... not so today. just wondering ...

1 member likes this post: SPRINTCAR
7/21/11, 4:03 PM   #45
dustbowl

The tires are the same that they always have been, its just cars are being run harder, hooked up better, motors are better, etc. Tracks have also seemed to be more abrasive this year, especially Lawrenceburg. The biggest problem with DT3's is they lose their sharp edges fairly quickly. I think we would be better off running the standard D25 as a spec right rear, the edges and tire seem to hold up better and the compound is identical to that of the DT3, so its not like it is soft.

7/21/11, 4:56 PM   #46
hoosier

I really don't have an opinion on the tires.. we've ran DT3's and MC2 and 3's and every other tire at one point or another, hell we even ran a huge Goodyear tire on the rear one year. People can get good tires and bad tires.. some blow up bigger and some are smaller, to each their own... my only GRIPE on this post is if you are going to *****..sign your name so we all know who it is.. By the way Treecitytornado=JT Stapp.. Ive not saw you racing this year, where have you been??

Crystal Pottorff :2:

4 members like this post: Dirtfan, hairracer44, jim goerge, supdh56
7/21/11, 9:11 PM   #47
treecitytornado

Be out soon, finishing up the car. Moneys been tight for my car owners and myself. Maybe some don't have as much of an issue with that. Where's your car?
Posted via Mobile Device

7/22/11, 7:22 PM   #48
hoosier

Sorry hadnt been back on here to see your reply JT..well I dont have much in our cars anymore, my pushtruck keeps me way busy. But the boys have a brand new XXX and a Max race ready with a fresh motor sitting ready to go. Brent donated his motor to Ethan Barrow to help him out and Cam donated his small motor to a kid that I dont know to help him out. In addition we sponsored Brady Short with TShirts.
Last edited by hoosier; 7/22/11 at 7:28 PM.

1 member likes this post: Dannypollock24
7/23/11, 3:58 PM   #49
lovindirt

I do know this much , when the DT3 was not a manditory track tire, it was the cheapest tire you could get, and now its up there with the rest on price. And they used to last alot longer, but I in my openion think that Hoosier decided that they would change them some so they would wear out faster so they could sell more, and make up the difference that they pay the tracks. JMO and JMO only. But as I said this is what I believe. Jeff

7/23/11, 7:15 PM   #50
srs70

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
I promise everyone could save more money and have a tire that would last forever with an American Racer MC2 or MC3.
Posted via Mobile Device
Let's start by me putting a big JMO to start this off !

Sounds to me you get a deal on American's and that's your big ***** !!

And clear something's up for me "you want an open tire rule?" Why's that ? So you can run against guy's that can afford to bolt fresh 10's rd12's and in your case sd23's sd33's etc etc on everytime they hit the track ? I remember the "open" days with 6 to 10 mounted rr to handle everything you came across. we keep 3 in the trailer now.

Bottom line is a new tire no matter what is faster than an old tire and guy's that can do it are going too !! And a lil info on life of the dt3's.. I have been helping Ryan Pace when he has time to run.. First night out we used the same rr all night.. Went from 16th to 6th at Gas city.. The next weekend went to Lps and went 12th to 6th on the same tire...then back to gas city for a 9th the next week.. Two weeks later went back to gas city qualed 16th out of 52.. 2nd in the heat and were up to about 10th with a few laps to go and ran something over in the track and got a rr flat... You guessed it same tire.. 5 nights on the same tire and even a Usac show to boot.

One last question.. Why is it I never seem to see say John Stanbrough, Dave Darland or any of the other top dog's on here bitchen?? Just the wanna be's and the have not's.

Done with my rant !!

Thank's James Sandberg AKA Chuy

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hoosier DT3 Tire Rule Killing Local Racers