IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Should I make the switch to midgets from LM's
7/13/11, 6:29 AM   #1
Should I make the switch to midgets from LM's
F5 Racer

My name is Chris Fisher and I'm currently taking the year off of racing due to lack of funding and having our first child. I live and race Late Models around the St.Louis area but is heavily thinking about making the switch next year to running midgets with the powri series next year if I can come up with the proper backing. What I'm asking from you guys is your opinions and/or experiences to help me in my decision to switch or just stay with the Late Model. I know a few people that has made the switch to midgets and they love it but before I commit I would just like a little feedback.

Thanks for your time,

Chris Fisher
f5motorsports@live.com

7/13/11, 11:05 AM   #2
F5 Racer

???
Posted via Mobile Device

7/13/11, 11:23 AM   #3
Re: Should I make the switch to midgets from
racerdog45

well most people on here are pure open wheelers so the answer for them would be easy. It's really something only you can decide. If you WANT to make the change then do it but ask yourself some questions first...

do they race midgets close to you and how often do they run, if you're going to have to travel then fuel costs add in not to mention time wasted on the road

you're off now due to money issues, do you really want to clean the garage out at a loss then have to start over again?

LMs have far more "big" races than midgets

Midgets, and open wheel cars in general, are more dangerous than a late model, kind of important with a new baby around.

finally do you enjoy the late model and just want to make a change for change sake, or are you unhappy and looking elsewhere

again in the end it's YOU that has to decide what is best for you and those around you

1 member likes this post: fish
7/13/11, 11:24 AM   #4
racefan20

You better make sure you love it because you will be spending the same $ but getting much less $ in the purse. As much as I love them there is absolutely no way to make money running a midget these days

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

7/13/11, 11:25 AM   #5
TQ29m

Depends on what you can run, and not have all your time and money in travel. If there are enough events to support your Midget habit, and you have the funding to do it, by all means, do it, if there are enough Sprint shows in the area, that's where I would place my money, IMHO, that's where you could get the best bang for your buck, and those 410's don't have a lot of maintaince, compared to the midget's, where something is constantly changing, and you can go anywhere and run a Sprint car, almost! I love midgets, almost owned one, but then they died within my bounderies, so I went with a TQ, still would love to have a 410, but too old to rethink! Bob!

7/14/11, 4:15 AM   #6
F5 Racer

Well 90% of the races are no more than 3 hours from me so travel isn't a huge deal. I just recently switched from a mod to the lm so I really don't have too much stuff with it. Another factor is the size of my garage. It's a pain to work on a lm in a 1 car garage. I wish there was more local tracks that ran sprints cuz that could be an option. Someone said something about the maintenance being more on a midget. Could someone elaborate on that because I can't imagine it being any more than the lm. I hear you guys on the purse thing and lm's having more bigger races but all of the regional bigger races are the same to win as powri. Thanks for your guys input and any more suggestions will help.
Posted via Mobile Device

7/14/11, 6:56 AM   #7
hoosierhillbilly

you could contact Wayne Chinn. He went the opposite way and went from midgets to Late Models. He might have a unique perspective.

His Website is http://www.waynechinn1.com/

He also has facebook.

7/14/11, 7:07 AM   #8
buckshot3448

id say go full size sprint. youd be much better off and i think you can compete alot better with out spending the money you would running a midget. i live in western illinois and i just dont think that midgets are big enough in the area to make it worth the price to get in one. how close are you to xx speedway in MO. they run a awesome sprint show there weekly

---------- Post added at 06:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 AM ----------

another note with the full size sprint is the mowa tour is making great strides in illinois and run a bunch in jacksonville and lincoln. might want to look at that

7/14/11, 11:48 AM   #9
F5 Racer

Ya we live just south of st.Louis. XX speedway is way out there. Alot of it is the garage space thing and I've always wanted to run open wheel stuff. The couple people that I know that run powri said they love it and wouldn't go back to fendered stuff. I've kinda gave up on the dream of racing for a living so that's why i'm looking into other forms of racing and into the fun and experiences that I think going open wheel can provide. Another thing is that if I had to pick what path my son would need to take in order to make it in racing I would like to think that open wheeled stuff seems like the way to go, correct me if I'm wrong. And that's if he wants to race.
Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by F5 Racer; 7/14/11 at 11:49 AM.

7/14/11, 12:29 PM   #10
keith anderson

there is WAY more maintenance and work to do on a LM then a midget. powri pays more then all the week to week LM races. living near STL is a great place to be IF you want to race midgets... any other questions feel free to ask

1 member likes this post: badgerfan
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Should I make the switch to midgets from LM's