IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What Size Trailer Would You Buy?
6/29/11, 10:47 PM   #1
What Size Trailer Would You Buy?
racecrzy

I just bought a new upright 1000 cc FOZ car and I am looking at trailers and not sure what size to get. I was looking at a 7x16 enclosed and not sure if that would be good or not, maybe a small open trailer? It would be for one car and spares, tools and misc. stuff, any ideas on a good size and why? Thanks in advance.

1 member likes this post: race48
6/30/11, 12:38 AM   #2
Re: What Size Trailer Would You Buy?
sborden93

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 17

I currently run uprights in an 8 x 20 enclosed which is great for running what we have now but when we first started we had a 7x16 enclosed and there was enough room to get the job done and it pulled nice and wasnt too hard on gas. we had built in a tire rack and boxes for parts, you just have to be creative on where to put things in the 7x16 but it was a great trailer for starting up and i would recommend a 7x16 for starting up that way you can go bigger if you want down the road.

6/30/11, 4:49 AM   #3
racecrzy

Thanks for the information, I am pricing 7x16 and 8.5x20 not a huge price difference but the weight is a little different and I am sure gas would be a factor.

6/30/11, 7:30 AM   #4
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by racecrzy View Post
Thanks for the information, I am pricing 7x16 and 8.5x20 not a huge price difference but the weight is a little different and I am sure gas would be a factor.
I'll only share my opinion. If you have any aspirations to move up to a sprint car I'd suggest the 8.5X20. We've been very pleased with our's. As suggested earlier, you have to be creative, but we're able to get our sprint car, 4-wheeler, tools and all spares, other than a spare chassis, mounted in our trailer without much trouble. We've had to do some refining, but we're able to load/unload without much fanfare, and I'm extremely pleased with the way it pulls. We were able to get a raised roof trailer so, if we ever wanted to absolutely desecrate the car and put a wing on it, we can load with the wing on it.

Just some food for thought.

Tim Simmons

6/30/11, 8:00 AM   #5
racecrzy

That is something to think about for sure, thanks. I did not think about the taller trailer for the future.

6/30/11, 8:59 AM   #6
TQ29m

I have been pulling a 7X16 KZ Cargo for a while, and it does a good job, the trailer itself is quite heavy, that's one reason I bought it, was the chassis under it, it has 2X6 tube, not channel, for a base, and Dexter axles. It is a well built trailer. I do wish sometimes it was the 8.5 wide, things get a bit tight with all the spares, and cabinets, then if it rains, it fills up real quick. Thinking of the future, I'd probably go with an 8.5X20, with the extra foot in height, and same brand, if I could find it. I pull with a CC F350 diesel dually, and personally, I wouldn't want anything smaller, I pulled with an E150 van, and it was happy, gas mileage was terrible, and an F150 short bed, pulled it easily, but the pucker factor was really hi, but nothing intimidates the F350, and it get 12-14 mpg, vs 8, with gas, so the offset in price is picked up in the better mileage, plus the truck weighs more than the trailer. JMHO! Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 6/30/11 at 9:00 AM.

7/1/11, 4:11 AM   #7
racecrzy

Thanks for the replys, I need to pull the trigger now and get it.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What Size Trailer Would You Buy?