IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Switching between wing and non-wing question
6/3/11, 3:22 PM   #1
Switching between wing and non-wing question
PJ Wright

Whenever USAC travels into wing country, it's always intersting to see if any of the local guys are going to shed the tin. With tonight being an "off" night, I wondered if any of the USAC travelers would maybe give WG a try.
I'm sure that switching a car back and forth involves more than sheet metal so that got me wondering what all would have to be changed, not just to show up and run, but to be competetive.
Besides shocks, gears, and torsion bars, what are some of the other things that would be different?
It appears to me that weight transfer is completely different between the two, is that the case?
I'm also curious about some of the things a chassis builder would do differently when constructing a car that's going to be run full time with a wing as compared to one that would be run strictly without a wing.
Thanks in advance for your input.

6/3/11, 3:43 PM   #2
Re: Switching between wing and non-wing quest
kdmillerman

i have been involved with wings up in wi. for many years. just moved down here to bloom. in non-wing country and our team made the switch. my son who drives for me says it is much easier to switch from non-wing to wing. the down force controls the car and in nonwing you have to find that balance and drive it. we had to change birdcages,axles,wheel size,offsets,torsion bars etc.. you can "wing it" so to speak but if you want to be somewhat competitive there are alot of changes and driving styles between the two. wings are faster but nonwing you hang on! just my take. racing is racing and you have to adjust! thanks..kevin miller-hdms

1 member likes this post: PJ Wright
6/3/11, 3:45 PM   #3
CTtoPA

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 4

Travis Rilat is here with the wings on. So there's at least one.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: PJ Wright
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Switching between wing and non-wing question