IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 8 laps on two Roush Yates ASCS 360 blownup
5/29/11, 9:33 PM   #1
8 laps on two Roush Yates ASCS 360 blownup
donwilshe

I bought last year $100,000 of Roush Yates engines. Two RY Ford ASCS 360's and one RY Ford 360 Open. We ran the ASCS 360 and it worked great for 10 races and we ran another RY Ford 360 Open and it also ran great for 10 races.

But we bought a 3rd nwe engine and dynoed it at Gaerte's to fix a low end torque problem which Brett Mann and Joe Gaerte were able to find 100 more pounds of low end torque. We took that brand new engine to Hartford, Michigan after just a few pulls at Gaerte dyno and than ran 8 laps at Hartford and broke the rods in an 8 lap brand new engine. There is no reason to send the engine as they have already declined to fix it.
================================================== ===
Last edited by donwilshe; 8/3/12 at 8:57 AM.

5/29/11, 9:55 PM   #2
CTtoPA

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 4

Was it not producing as much torque as spec'ed? Or did you just want more than it came with? If it was the former, why did you not ship it back immediately!
Posted using Mobile Device

5/29/11, 10:50 PM   #3
Re: 8 laps on two Roush Yates ASCS 360 blownu
racinround

And if it was the later...it's your baby.

5/29/11, 11:01 PM   #4
KMS2683

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwilshe View Post
I bought last year $100,000 of Roush Yates engines. Two RY Ford ASCS 360's and one RY Ford 360 Open. We ran the ASCS 360 and it worked great for 10 races and we ran another RY Ford 360 Open and it also ran great for 10 races.

But we bought a 3rd nwe engine and dynoed it at Gaerte's to fix a low end torque problem which Brett Mann and Joe Gaerte were able to find 100 more pounds of low end torque. We took that brand new engine to Hartford, Michigan after just a few pulls at Gaerte dyno and than ran 8 laps at Hartford and broke the rods in an 8 lap brand new engine. There is no reason to send the engine as they have already declined to fix it.
================================================== ===

Don,
It is very unfortunate about your engine failure. We have never had a single bottom end failure of any Roush Yates production 360s. I assure you that there are no issues that "plague" our engines. Non the less, I spoke with Bret last week about where to ship the engine to and I will be happy to look at it. It has been brought to my attention that this engine spent a good bit of time on Gearte's dyno. There is no way that we can guarantee an engine that has been out of our shop for over a year and was later dynoed at a competitor's shop. This was done with the same spec engine that you broke last week. All of last year we made over 6000 laps without a failure. RY - Jeremy Anderson
What's your point with this post? From what I read you bought an engine from one builder and then took it to another builder who changed things and then you ran the engine and it blew up. How is that the original builders issue? Did you just want to imprerss everyone with the amount of money you spent? There's no one to blame but you, yet you come on a message board to try and discredit someone else and people wonder why there are the issues there are in racing today.

6 members like this post: c47, interpreter66, leonhaupt, mowerman, REH24, SprintRacer4
5/29/11, 11:40 PM   #5
dant

should'a bought the extended warranty

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
5/30/11, 5:02 AM   #6
racephoto1

Gaerte had it a part last, I'd talk to them. Once you put it in someone else's hands, it takes a way the responsibility of the original builder.

1 member likes this post: interpreter66
5/30/11, 5:55 AM   #7
buckshot3448

you cant blame this on roush yates because you took it to someone else to get more power. No offense to gaerte they make great motors that are reliable with tons of power

1 member likes this post: interpreter66
5/30/11, 8:07 AM   #8
uncleD

The Top Five Lessons learned from this story;

5) The circle dyno ultimately tells the truth about a race engine's ability.
4) There is a difference between slightly used and brand new.
3) Blackmail comes in different shapes, sizes and shades of gray.
2) A Gaerte-Yates Ford and the Hartford Motor Speedway to not mix.
1) To much low-end torgue can be a bad thing.

1 member likes this post: Hubie
5/30/11, 9:15 AM   #9
donwilshe

I bought an engine from RY and I changed nothing except the exhaust headers. they complained because I put it on a chassis
dyno and did some pulls. they recommend that you run their engines at 8500 RPM. I could of run at Hartford or I-96 30 laps
at 8500 RPM's and it would of not been a problem. But the fact that I ran an 8 lap engine with a different header and it blew
up and broke cranks in the engine was an oiling problem. it wasnt a heating problem. Ironically this happen on two engines
back to back. If RY would of had a chassis dyno I could of used it. I only stated that I bought $100,000 in racing engines not
to impress anyone as I have bought $250,000 in engines for others same year. It was what i would of expected. But they
seem to me trying to find excuses not to help. you buy a $30,000 engine and turn it 8 laps and it blows up and what you
you say. The reason we used the chassis dyno was to solve a ford problem where the chevy had tons more low end torque
and could get off the corners, unlike the Chevy's. Roush Yates was to use the TRU-Y's and that non sense in the end. If you
want to make a ford work find a big track and dont get less than 5000 RPM in the corners. Suellen Wilshe

I agree that once you let another engine builder dont expect much from the first. One was never change and the
other was. I am referring to the Roush Yates never touched engine. Now of the other engine we were trying to
fix a design flaw in the water pump area. the reason we went to Gaerte on the engine they changed after 2 years
of experience we found on dirt and asphalt that Roush yates engines had alot less torque and could not get off the
corners even when turn 8500 RPM's. The Chevies pulled us 3 to 4 car lengths of the corners. But Fords have never
been know for torque but they have great top end if you keep they wound up.
Last edited by donwilshe; 5/30/11 at 9:22 AM.

5/30/11, 11:20 AM   #10
outlaw13
Inactive Member

One more to add! When a Ford fails buy a Chevy!

2 members like this post: burris7555, racephoto1
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 8 laps on two Roush Yates ASCS 360 blownup