IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Help for an Indy 500 rookie
5/17/11, 9:13 PM   #1
Help for an Indy 500 rookie
Jonr

Any last minute advice for an Indy 500 rookie? I have my tickets for Sunday. What should I do for parking? What does everyone think about Carb Day, Is it worth going? How about the parade?

I am already planning on going to the three USAC shows the days before the race. Any thing else that I should plan on doing? I heard that some of the race shops in the area will have open houses. Is there a schedule for that.

Thanks
Jon

5/17/11, 11:32 PM   #2
Re: Help for an Indy 500 rookie
Vukie

Carb Day is worth it. Final practice for the 500, Lights race, Pit Stop contest and a concert.

5/18/11, 12:15 AM   #3
ISF

The 500 Festival Parade on Saturday afternoon before the 500 is a neat deal. We have gone to two of them and it's a fun experience. We may not go again for a while but it would be worth seeing at least once.

On Fri. 2-8 pm and Sat. 9:30 am-5 pm the two days before the 500 there is the National Auto Racing Memorabilia Show at the Pioneer Our Land Pavilion which I think is located off of turn 4 of the mile dirt track at the Indiana State Fairgrounds. That's one of the premier racing memorabilia shows in the country and there are always former drivers synonymous with the Indy 500 signing autographs there. There are some neat things to see and buy if you're into that stuff.

Being a first timer, be sure to get to your seats early. At least an hour and preferably 90 minutes prior to the command to fire engines. The pre-race ceremonies are a show unto themselves that shouldn't be missed.

Also, if you want a decent meal and a beer or two in a racing atmosphere you might check out McGilvery's on High School Road several blocks North of Crawfordsville Road. Decent food with a racing theme.

As far as parking is concerned it depends a lot on where your seats are located. If you're setting in the South end of the racetrack (turns 1 & 2) or the main straightaway you might look at parking in someones yard in the neighborhood off of turn 1 or just West of the track on Auburn St., Fisher St. or Winton St. which run North & South or 20th or 21st which run East & West. If you're setting in the North end (turns 3 & 4) you have the Coke lot parking or again, someones yard on 24th St., Allison, McRay or North Auburn and again, get there early. Most of the people who live near the track will sell a parking spot in their yard. You have to get to the immediate area around the racetrack very early on race morning to find a spot on the street within walking distance of the track but the yard parking is normally available right up until race time. I don't know much about the East side of the track but I don't think the yard parking is as prevalent over there. I do know if your setting in turn 3 and you park in the Coke lot or in that general vicinity it's still a pretty good hike to you seats so allow adequate time.
Last edited by ISF; 5/20/11 at 10:08 AM.

5/18/11, 12:48 AM   #4
ClaytonYeley

What is parking like for the Parade? Might like to try that this year.

Carb day is always great. However, if you are driving to the track friday morning make sure you plan for getting there early or you will miss final practice (usually starts at 11 I think). With BC in the freedom 100 this year it will be even better. As for raceday parking, we always get in a yard in the neighborhood behind turn 3. Not sure what direction you will be going after the race. But, for those looking for something to do Sunday night after the 500 I would recommend MSCS at Haubstadt. Last year the 500 started at 1 I believe and we stayed for the whole race and made it down to Haubstadt in time for the heats. This year Indy starts at noon so that will give you another hour (remember that Haubstadt is on Central time).

5/18/11, 9:25 AM   #5
SpfldMile

Bring sunscreen and rain gear, you'll probably need both.

5/18/11, 10:11 AM   #6
HarleyHoney

Definitely not missing Carb day this year with Bryan Clauson running in the Indy Light. I can't wait!!! Make sure you allow yourself time to walk about the people. That in itself is worth the trip. Enjoy!

5/18/11, 10:41 AM   #7
tamati

after the nite before midget race the party on 16th and georgetown is worth checking out weather permiting

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

after the nite before midget race the party on 16th and georgetown is worth checking out weather permiting

5/18/11, 11:09 AM   #8
Don't miss carb day
DIRT-TRACK-JUNKIE

Posted using Mobile Device
Last edited by DIRT-TRACK-JUNKIE; 5/18/11 at 11:10 AM.

5/18/11, 12:16 PM   #9
Re: Don't miss carb day
jim goerge

Are watch it on TV and after go to a real race at a local dirt track Haubstadt and Kokomo are both raceing that Sunday night and bet you can say the drivers names there

5/18/11, 1:50 PM   #10
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonYeley View Post
What is parking like for the Parade? Might like to try that this year.

Carb day is always great. However, if you are driving to the track friday morning make sure you plan for getting there early or you will miss final practice (usually starts at 11 I think). With BC in the freedom 100 this year it will be even better. As for raceday parking, we always get in a yard in the neighborhood behind turn 3. Not sure what direction you will be going after the race. But, for those looking for something to do Sunday night after the 500 I would recommend MSCS at Haubstadt. Last year the 500 started at 1 I believe and we stayed for the whole race and made it down to Haubstadt in time for the heats. This year Indy starts at noon so that will give you another hour (remember that Haubstadt is on Central time).
Parking isn't terribly bad for the parade. Again the key is getting there early and the benefits are two fold. If you get there early there are plentiful parking spots on the streets not far from the parade route. And, if you don't have reserve seating for the parade you can stake your claim to a good free spot. There are also plenty of parking lots that sell parking near the route but some spots fill up fast and early. Reserve seating will be hard to get at this late date so your best bet is to park and view the parade from a spot as close to Monument Circle as possible. The bands, etc. perform in and near Market St. and Monument Circle whereas they may not in some other areas of the parade. The further North on Meridian you park and watch the less crowded it will be and you probably don't miss very much up there.

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
Are watch it on TV and after go to a real race at a local dirt track Haubstadt and Kokomo are both raceing that Sunday night and bet you can say the drivers names there
Will have been to the half mile at Terre Haute and the Mile at the Fairgrounds by Sunday nite. We like the longer dirt tracks and will have our fill of dirt track racing by then. We're usually tired and retire early on Sunday evening.
Last edited by ISF; 5/18/11 at 1:52 PM.

1 member likes this post: ClaytonYeley
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Help for an Indy 500 rookie