IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > John Lee "High Flying" Photo's" Hurt At CMS
4/17/11, 1:48 PM   #1
John Lee "High Flying" Photo's" Hurt At CMS
oldracer#4

Just to let everyone know John Lee was hurt last night in an incident at CMS during hot laps at the USMTS Show. I talked with John this morning and he is at Centerpoint Hospital in Independence Mo. room 408. He is feeling okay considering what he went through.

Like so many people who do photos, videos, etc. at races, John told me he had stood at this position many times without any incidents. He saw the car coming and tried to jump out of the way either into or over a tractor tire and his foot got pinned between either the tire or the car and the retaining barrier.

John has always been a open wheel fan taking photos at Knoxville, Oskaloosa, the Chili Bowl, or any where their was a sprint car race going on. John has done work for some of the biggest sprint teams in the business.

The photos that John takes are his soul income so this will hit his family pretty hard. Please keep John and his family in your thoughts and maybe in your pocketbook also. Buying a picture from John might contribute to his recovery even if you don't want or need one.

Mike Kraft

4 members like this post: mod4s, pavement#23, racephoto1
4/17/11, 9:48 PM   #2
fasster23

Our prayers are with you. Hoping for a quick recovery
Posted using Mobile Device

4/17/11, 11:34 PM   #3
Re: John Lee "High Flying" Photo's" Hurt At C
bigmojo5

John is a frequent contributor to the Hawkeye Racing News, and in our prayers here.
For those who saw our feature, Sister Act, on the Arnold sisters from Sedalia, Mo., John provided the photos that accompany the story.
I received a brief message from him. He's a very lucky guy, but going to face some sheet time and rehab. I'm sure anything you can do, even if it is just a kind word, will be greatly appreciated.
Jim Morrison
Editor
Hawkeye Racing News

1 member likes this post: pavement#23
4/17/11, 11:37 PM   #4
racephoto1

Speaking from personal experiance, complacency is a b#tch. You do something all the time you get careless to a degree, and take for granted that nothing will happen to you. I had a close call at the Put.
I got careless and didn't think that anything would happen. I also wasn't bothered when it did happen. That was when I thought I really better think about what I was doing.Complacency at it's finest.

We who work at the races better always remember it isn't always the other guy, sometimes it may be you.

As for John, get well soon.

1 member likes this post: Ricks Pics
4/18/11, 12:03 AM   #5
bigmojo5

The truth of the matter is I have seen more race officials, pit crew members and spectators injured at race tracks than drivers. In 35 years, I've only known of two photographers getting hurt. John was the second. I've always known John to be pretty careful, not taking unnecessary risks as I've seen some do. He pays attention to his surroundings.
Two weeks ago, I saw a track safety crew member dash out on a track, in front of oncoming race cars, while the race was still green. Last fall, another got ran over by a midget running onto the track. Of course, we were admonished by the track owner not to mention it. At another track, a track worker on a four wheeler nailed a stock car head on as it was entering the race track. And then there was that horrible night at the Hoosier Dome in Indianapolis several years ago.
Most photographers are pretty careful. We know the dangers of getting hit by a moving race car.
I just wish everyone else was just as careful ... especially those folks on four wheelers racing through the pits to get a tire.
Last edited by bigmojo5; 4/18/11 at 12:07 AM.

4/18/11, 1:00 AM   #6
oldracer#4

I just talked to Susan Walls, CMS Will Do a Pass The Helmet for John and Family this Saturday, April 23rd during the season opener, if weather does not permit, we will do it when we resume racing.

John has also given permission to post his address to send cards and letters:

John Lee
412 North West
Nottingham Lane
Blue Springs, MO

Thank you,
Sam Stoecklin
CMS Public Relations

4/18/11, 6:02 AM   #7
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

I just finished reading an Ernie Saxton article in Area Auto about the thankless job of being a racing photographer.

Racing can be dangerous and anything can happen in the blink of an eye. I wish John the best in his recovery!

4/18/11, 7:59 AM   #8
racephoto

My thoughts and prayers go out to John for a speedy and complete recovery! Hurry back!

Joe

4/18/11, 8:22 AM   #9
cmakin

I heard about this on Saturday, from one of the USMTS teams that was there. She didn't know who it was, but it is ironic getting that kind of message on the BlackBerry while shooting a race.

I think that it is ALWAYS something in the back of our minds. I also think that all of us have had close calls. I do know that there are certain places at certain venues where I will not stand, no matter how spectacular I think that the shot will turn out. I often see other guys standing in dangerous places (mostly new comers like myself) and suggest they don't. One place I often see some stand is on top of the tires around a light pole, facing traffic. My day job is in insurance, and I automatically tend to judge risk. There is no way I would stand where the footing is poor and there is little time for getting away. I ALWAYS look for at least one - preferably two- escape routes anytime I choose a spot.

This isn't to say that this is what happened to John. I do know that there are times when no matter how much you prepare, it can happen.

I don't believe that I have had the honor to meet John, but my prayers and wishes for a speedy recovery certainly go out to him. While my photography is not my source of income, getting that kind of injury would certainly have an impact on my day job.

4/19/11, 8:22 PM   #10
usa1bowtie

I really hate to hear that. John was one of the photogs that shot our wedding at Perris in November and gave us a great deal on all the shots he had taken. Get Well Soon John !!!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > John Lee "High Flying" Photo's" Hurt At CMS