IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Advice for eldora speedway
4/9/11, 2:56 PM   #31
Re: Advice for eldora speedway
kawkaw2

For those that think everyone likes to *****, many on here have been involved with racing for 20-30 years. We have seen good and bad. We truly want what is best for the sport that we love. We don't want it to go away. Racing is a job for some and entertainment for others. The spectator wants to enjoy themselves and come away feeling good about the experience. Those responsible for providing the entertainment need to do everything they can to make it a good experience for the racers and the spectators. When that doesn't happen you feel angry and you can walk away or try to get it fixed. A track can't be successful on just the front or back gate alone. If this was just a couple complaints or new fans that had no perspective of the sport you could turn a deaf ear. "Where there's smoke there's fire" These issues apply to both Eldora and USAC.

4 members like this post: GregD, jim goerge, Roy Bleckert, SUPERDUKE
4/9/11, 2:57 PM   #32
Roy Bleckert

T Stewart - One important thing Promoters/Sanctioning bodies should take note of is that you are losing/pissing off long time loyal fans , In this environment I would think Ya'all would get it together & work towards solutions to this

Every One has challenges in this economic times , Fans , Car Owners, Sanctioning bodies , I would like to see more solutions on how to turn this around , instead of every one pointing out the problems I think we all all aware of

4 members like this post: GregD, jim goerge, Need For Speed, SUPERDUKE
4/9/11, 3:02 PM   #33
OpenwheelRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjim2 View Post
Sounds like your sucking up to Tony...can't iamgine that! Best race I ever saw at Eldora was in March....but, things just didn't work out this time. Oh well.

If that's what you think fine, it's your opionion and you're entitled to it. I don't care if it's Tony or Earl or Whoever else I love that TRACK and my issue is with the bashing that goes on about it. I was merely trying to point out that even under the all mighty Earl stuff didn't run perfect. However, I would like to say thanks for bashing me and not the track.:2: While I'm sucking up I like that Bozo Rudisell too!

4/9/11, 3:18 PM   #34
Tim Watson

April is April and anything could happen. I didn't take the time to compare schedules but some times just a couple weeks of time passing can make a huge difference weather wise. Could this show remain on the schedule but just be put two or so weeks later? April still has three weekends left, i know Easter is one of them but good Friday is a day off for a lot of people and is a good time to hit a race without using a day of vacation. Just an opinion.

2 members like this post: jjracer636, SprintManDave
4/9/11, 3:48 PM   #35
lokwaidid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stewart View Post
trust me i watched on my computer til the bitter end last night, but no one can control the weather. sorry we let you down. i have the upmost confidence in my staff and watched them do everything they could to get it in last night. there are many more variables in what happened last night that usac dictated an was out of eldoras control. i love usac but the show in april seems to make more people unhappy than happy and the weather sucks in april. maybe we should stop running this event. we lose money on it every year. we do it for the fans but seems like thats not enough anymore. sorry
thanks for responding. going back to the first post about the trucks running in the track. the guys running in the track have always seemed to be clueless of how this should be done. two or three are on the bottom playing in the slope. some are in the middle and some are on the top, where every one should be playing follow the leader and pushing the mud down the hill. they take twice as long as would seem needed because of playing around like a bunch of drunken hillbillies. if there is some rain during the show, were screwed. this has been this way since long before you took over. i've been going for 33 yrs and it seems like no one ever knew how to run in a track. making the show last 1 or 2 hours extra because of this is annoying. when the show is over most everyone has a 1 or 2 hour drive or more and this just makes that drive longer. done complaining. anyway, i'm one person that would like to say thanks tony for all the improvements you've done to eldora.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, jjracer636, sprinterfan
4/9/11, 4:55 PM   #36
Will Shunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modocer 57 View Post
Only took about 50 years to learn this not the place for me to go anymore. Others will learn the hard way as I did.
Haven't been back to Eldora since 1977. Big tires, slick track, dust clogging my eyes and nose, follow the leader driving, etc. was the end of an era for me at Eldora. The great Earl of Eldora and now Tony can't turn back the clock on tire "progress" and the biggest motor on the slick wins from the front. My memories of Eldora 1967 to 1977 sustain me as I travel far to the Hoosier state to see real sprint car racing at Gas City anf Kokomo. Its tough to get old and long for the past but the best racing is just a state away. Once I retire and I can sell my home, I will move to Indy to finish out my years enjoying non wing sprint car racing at the Burg, LPS, Blooomington, Haubstadt, Paragon, Gas City and Kokomo. Oh, the future is bright and inviting in Indiana! Eldora... is simply a faded memory of racing days long gone.

4/9/11, 5:35 PM   #37
RichH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Shunk View Post
Haven't been back to Eldora since 1977. Big tires, slick track, dust clogging my eyes and nose, follow the leader driving, etc. was the end of an era for me at Eldora. The great Earl of Eldora and now Tony can't turn back the clock on tire "progress" and the biggest motor on the slick wins from the front. My memories of Eldora 1967 to 1977 sustain me as I travel far to the Hoosier state to see real sprint car racing at Gas City anf Kokomo. Its tough to get old and long for the past but the best racing is just a state away. Once I retire and I can sell my home, I will move to Indy to finish out my years enjoying non wing sprint car racing at the Burg, LPS, Blooomington, Haubstadt, Paragon, Gas City and Kokomo. Oh, the future is bright and inviting in Indiana! Eldora... is simply a faded memory of racing days long gone.
Will makes a good point. As a fan who began attending races there in '64, I can attest that the track surface problems go way back.
My opinion is that it all began when Earl sold out to the Ted Johnson school of hard, slick as the WoO became his cash cow. Tire changes, big h.p and, perhaps, safety concerns also played a part. Surely the generally better conditions at other,lesser funded, tracks in the area show that it's not rocket science.
My biggest disappointment is that my favorite Tony has failed to solve the problem and seems to deny it's existence. I took newbies to Eldora for many years, some of whom became regular fans. Today, I don't dare as the last few groups were totally turned off for good-getting home at 4AM covered with dust so bad that at times we couldn't see the track. I've been fortunate to see sprint races at literally hundreds of dirt tracks and none have had the consistant dust problems as Eldora.
As always, JMHO and I'm hoping for improvement so I can again start taking newcomers to my favorite sport.

5 members like this post: duel, jim goerge, koolaid89, Need For Speed, SUPERDUKE
4/9/11, 5:48 PM   #38
koolaid89

My advice, a start would be offering a round the clock track camera. If you guys are working so hard on the racing surface lets see it.

2 members like this post: Hubie, jim goerge
4/9/11, 9:13 PM   #39
Modocer 57

I'm not surprised about this weekends fiasco, just more of the same. Talked to Larry Boos at a car show a couple of weeks ago and was told track was being worked and was in good shape, should not be any problems that we have seened in the past for the opener. Just another puppet saying what he is told too. Stick with the Gokarts or get another job Larry.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
4/9/11, 10:07 PM   #40
Tim Bookmiller

As a racer in the late 70`s to late 80`s ALL the decisions were Earls ..no one else ..he made the call and stuck with it ..from banning Rick Ferkel to " incimmite" weather. To save Eldora ONE and only ONE person needs to call the shots and ..end of story

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Advice for eldora speedway