IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Wall building
3/31/11, 10:13 AM   #1
Wall building
backitin

I'm donating a couple days labor to the Speedway Motorcycle promotor here on the east coast. He actually owns three tracks, IMS in California, Champion Speedway in NY and he's in the process of building a new track just two miles from Watkins Glen International, which he has huge plans for, it will be a motorsports park more then just a raceway. Now speedway draws very few riders and most are younger although the best riders are usually older. Reason is its just crazy and you have no protection. I have had nights thru no fault of my own where I've crashed a couple, three times and still won the main event. Tracks are 1/8 mile and a good four lap race takes less then sixty seconds. As far as motorcycles go it can actually be compared to nonwinged sprints, and I do all the time. Its the same as a sprinter in the sense that you better be committed to going sideways or else. Anyhow, I keep telling Mr. Bosignore the way to make some money is to have a car track. There is one nonwinged track here it's hamlin pa, they run 600's. Theres sometimes 100 cars in the pits and they all spend good money, as compared to 25 speedwaybikes on a tight budget. When I mention cars vile builds up in him, but he does like and understand that a nice banked 1/5 mile just 2 miles from watkins glen would likely draw some cars. So who knows we have a meeting in a couple hours and I'm pushing that car track for sometime down the road. Too bad he couldnt just build the bigger track now and run both cars and bikes, but then your talking air walls (expensive) for the bikes cause the wall would have to be built too sturdy for the bikes to contain the cars. Ideally speedwaybike walls are built so they give slightly when impacted by bike and rider.

3/31/11, 8:01 PM   #2
Re: Wall building
Ny Sprint Fan

thats funny that one of the best to ever race at champion eventually went on to become a sprint car driver after he lost his leg! If I am not mistaken they tried to have minisprints at champion years ago when jack promoted it. I think the idea of a track in that area for non wing micros is a great idea but who knows how long it would take to catch on. Paradise gets quite a few cars but I dont know how many guys would take the wings off. Kutztown gets decent car counts as well and they are wingless. Best of luck to the new track and I hope it takes off good. When is he planning on starting construction?

4/1/11, 8:00 PM   #3
Re: Wall building
backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny Sprint Fan View Post
thats funny that one of the best to ever race at champion eventually went on to become a sprint car driver after he lost his leg! If I am not mistaken they tried to have minisprints at champion years ago when jack promoted it. I think the idea of a track in that area for non wing micros is a great idea but who knows how long it would take to catch on. Paradise gets quite a few cars but I dont know how many guys would take the wings off. Kutztown gets decent car counts as well and they are wingless. Best of luck to the new track and I hope it takes off good. When is he planning on starting construction?
The 1/8 mile is started already, god only knows when the bigger track will be built. We didnt talk much about cars although he talked me into riding a few speedway races on one of his bikes this season. I suppose your talking about Rocket Rodney Paine. He still rides his streetbikes to the races now and then. Champion is too small for minisprints, if they tried it there thats prop. why it failed.

4/2/11, 12:58 PM   #4
Ny Sprint Fan

Yes it was rocket I was talking about. He is actually a good friend of mine. I will have to make a trip up to the new track this year keep us posted on the schedule
Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Wall building