IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 305 sprints
3/12/11, 9:37 PM   #11
Re: 305 sprints
83305sprint

We run 305s out here in PA and run under the RACESAVER rules. I would love to see a non wing version of 305 racing. I would seriously try to make the tow once a year out there if there was a non wing race somewhere. If you want to see the rules we run under go to www.pasprintseries.com

3/13/11, 12:03 AM   #12
fasster23

We are going to run an open motor non-wing class this year. It was a 305 only class last year that rotated wings on and off every 2 weeks. To help the car count they've changed it to injected 305's and carb. 360's weigh 1475 and injected 360's 1525. They have The Weld Family Memorial in October, the purse could be raised a bit but the field is getting better. We're in KC MO so that's quite a haulfor you. Sprints in this area are growing but this is still modified country and now Lake Ozark and Double X Speedway are closing and possibly the Fair Grounds in Sedalia. No good.
Posted via Mobile Device

3/15/11, 4:03 PM   #13
Sprint28j

I am planning on running a Attica/Fremont legal 305, except with Alum rear wheels at Waynesfield this year. Its impossible to find 3" off RR wheels in steel... Last year I know Chad Wilson made the show and ran well at gas city with a Attica/Fremont 305.. Yes the Ohio 305 engines are not like the other 305 across the country... I know the good engines dyno from 490- 520 hp at 7700 -8000 rpm's... Yes the racing at the FAST series tracks is as good if not better than the 410 class.. At tracks like waynesfield and gas city if it slicks off a bit the 305 can run good. Anyway that is my opinion

6/30/14, 9:26 PM   #14
zeiders48
Inactive Member

Could run the rules like we have in pa for them pa racesaver series real competitive series and if guy get a 305 series goin I'd make a trip out when I get 305 put together

6/30/14, 9:53 PM   #15
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
To answer your question "is there any interest in 305 sprints winged or not here in Indiana"? I would find it difficult that any track is looking to add another sprint car series to their schedule. Most of the dirt tracks in Indiana that run sprint cars are in Central & Southern Indiana. Trying to draw cars from Northern Ohio would be difficult at best.

Attica & Fremont already take up Friday and Saturday nights so that would pretty much leave out most of the dirt sprint car tracks in Indiana. Most promoters are already running at least 3 different classes and from a fans stand point, I don't want to see 4 or more classes. I doubt that any track is looking to drop a current class to add 305 sprint cars to their regular show.

In this economy, most promoters are looking to keep their most successful shows and eliminate the losers. Trying something like this is all new and in my opinion, the risks outweigh the benefits.

A few questions for you. What tracks would you like to see run 305's in Indiana? Do you feel that another class at one of these tracks would be a benefit? Where would the cars for a 305 class come from? What type of purse would it take to bring enough cars for this to successful?
To answer the last few questions - Just my thoughts.
What Tracks? Plymouth, Bowell (Daugherty. A.K.A. KAMP), Kokomo every few Sundays
Yes at Plymouth but their still figuring things out with this dirt racing.
Where would cars come from? Start from the bottom up with guys building cars
What Type of Purse? $700-$800 to win & $125-$140 to start 20 cars & $60-$65 tow mone

7/1/14, 8:36 AM   #16
98arpy

An entry level sprint car has been developed and is currently in the track testing process and evaluation.
It utilizes the GM 602 crate engine, 4 bbl carb on menthol.
Early indications are that it is performing well.
After a few more tests it will be dissembled and checked for wear and other things.
It's intended purpose is to provide real sprint car experience for younger drivers that want to advance from the more expensive Micro and Minisprints.
We have not talked about this much as we wanted to make sure that it would be a good durable piece.
Larry Kemp
A complete engine package, ready to bolt into a used car should come in around $6,000.
It is very similar the to the new division at Ohsweken Speedway in Canada.

1 member likes this post: jjracer636
7/1/14, 8:59 AM   #17
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

We've got a lot of really good 305 sprint racing in my area. Like mentioned above with PASS and TSRA running under French Grimes RaceSaver Specs. These guy and gals are putting quality racing on track weekly. They also have some really great looking cars too. I'll be out with camera in hand Thursday at Susky covering PASS.

http://www.racesaver.com/index.cfm

7/1/14, 10:33 AM   #18
suade82

I have always been interested in a budget sprint car series, but here is what I have found. When they try to start it up, it is always a traveling series with tracks too far from me and there goes my budget. If you can find close enough tracks, I would get more interested. Why do you use the 305? It might be cheaper to use LS1's. It is a good stock engine that is easy to work with and can take a beating. This one adds weight and cost up front, but why not add clutches and starters. This will save time, and now I dont have to bring a crew(can never get help and have them pay their own pit pass) and an ATV to push me around. Those are the reasons I stay out. You need to make it easy for the one man crews.

7/1/14, 11:39 AM   #19
OTSNWR
Inactive Member

At our last race we had a team race with us from the 602 crate class at Ohsweken Speedway. The team is a complete rookie team to sprint cars but they did very well. Unfortunately the young man driving backed it into the wall but prior to that in hot laps and his heat race he was keeping up with the 360's that were there. Up here apparently a 602 crate engine ready to race is around $8500.00 CAN funds. It is an affordable way to get into the sport for sure. Once you take the wings off they are quite competitive against larger engines with the right track conditions. I think they'd do very well on tracks that typically go dry slick. Personally it makes me sad to see sprint car racing heading this way as I feel a sprint car is and should be the most hairiest car anyone could ever get into and try to turn left with. If a sprint car's power doesn't leave you awe struck why get in it? There is though the reality that the economic world crash isn't over yet (may never be with the existing world leaders we all put up with) and people want to race, period. So more affordable lower powered cars that cost less to build and field are now gaining prominence. I don't know what the answer is. If you could get one track to have an economy class to start with that might be the way to go. Some track that doesn't have sprint cars already. It's not that hard really to get dates to put on a race, it's getting enough teams or wannabe racers to take your concept to heart and build cars so you can produce entertainment for the fans.

1 member likes this post: PJ Wright
7/1/14, 1:52 PM   #20
worm

I would like to have a different option other than the Indiana non wing 410 sprints (witch I love). Seems every other state has options of different sprint cars My son currently races a micro sprint and with the costs of Indianas 410 program I just don't think we could ever swing running good 410 stuff. If a Create or a 305 starter class was available it would make things easier on the pocket book.

If this was started I think the rules would havta match surrounding states to allow traveling. But like said before what track would take a chance on these cars????

1 member likes this post: jjracer636
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 305 sprints